Note to New Members ×

Helmet needed?

sxybst90

It is all about risk and choice, not whether we can call each other names. Any facet of life has risk associated with it, and just how much of it you choose to accept is a personal option. For example wearing a helmet while doing any activity, i.e. - snowboarding. If you wear one, great - if not ok then. Who am I, or for that matter anyone else to judge your personal choice.

What's truly scary is that some people feel the need to force everyone to wear a helmet. As a rational and intelligent adult you should be capable of making that decision for yourself, and not have someone else's will forced upon you. If my local mountain made helmets mandatory, I would head down the road and take my business elsewhere. By doing so, it’s not for your benefit - it's to cover their a$$. Helmets first, then what's next? Mandatory body armor, wrist guards, cervical collar, no metal edges, speed limits - where does it end? Do you really need all aspects of your life regulated for you? This concept is insulting, as to say you are not smart enough for your own good so we will have to do it for you. Well gee . . . . thanks mom!<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

For those of you who immediately revert to name calling, what is this third grade? We are adults and by now should be able to express ourselves that way. If you are so narrow minded that you cannot see past your blinders, and have to call someone an idiot, maybe you should take a look in the mirror. Couldn't hurt to get off the high horse either.<O:p</O:p

Risk is life, choose to embrace it or run away from it - the choice is yours. Just be sure it remains your choice.<O:p</O:p

YEA,YEA,YEA, only a troll would resist wearing a helmet these days, the best benefit I find from wearing one is better vision at speed, it keeps my head and hence my eyes from bouncing around as much.

jmho,ymmv

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is all about risk and choice, not whether we can call each other names. Any facet of life has risk associated with it, and just how much of it you choose to accept is a personal option. For example wearing a helmet while doing any activity, i.e. - snowboarding. If you wear one, great - if not ok then. Who am I, or for that matter anyone else to judge your personal choice.

I agree with the caveats that adults who wish to do high risk activities without a helmet:

1) Fill out and carry an organ donor card.

2) Carry personal insurance to cover all the public emergency room costs that are passed on to everyone.

We're both happy! :1luvu:

You are "free" from a helmet and I'm "free" from your choice. :biggthump

To be fair to Sooperburd (what does it mean btw?):
What does what mean?

older/heavier helmet cause more neck injuries esp. in children due to the lesser neck muscle strength that cannot hold back the combined weight of their head+helmet.

I'm pretty sure that my helmet must be much heavier than the standard fare sold today. I'm going to check out some helmets very soon, thanks to many of you on this thread.

Sooper-

Why would you wear a helmet while riding your bike, yet not when snowboarding? It just makes no sense whatsoever.

Because snow is much softer than pavement. Because I snowboard very slowly through the trees, generally avoid groomers, and spend 80-90% of my time in the bumps.

While we describe icy bumps as "icy", they're not made of ice. They are packed snow, and they are not that hard of a landing.

Like I said, though, if I can find a lightweight helmet that really does offer good impact protection, I'm not opposed to buying it and wearing it. My beef this whole time is that I didn't think the industry was making helmets with decent concussion protection. It seems that I'm mistaken.

What's truly scary is that some people feel the need to force everyone to wear a helmet. As a rational and intelligent adult you should be capable of making that decision for yourself, and not have someone else's will forced upon you. If my local mountain made helmets mandatory, I would head down the road and take my business elsewhere. By doing so, it’s not for your benefit - it's to cover their a$$. Helmets first, then what's next? Mandatory body armor, wrist guards, cervical collar, no metal edges, speed limits - where does it end? Do you really need all aspects of your life regulated for you? This concept is insulting, as to say you are not smart enough for your own good so we will have to do it for you. Well gee . . . . thanks mom!<O:p</O:p

For those of you who immediately revert to name calling, what is this third grade? We are adults and by now should be able to express ourselves that way. If you are so narrow minded that you cannot see past your blinders, and have to call someone an idiot, maybe you should take a look in the mirror. Couldn't hurt to get off the high horse either.<O:p</O:p

Risk is life, choose to embrace it or run away from it - the choice is yours. Just be sure it remains your choice.<O:p</O:p

I couldn't agree more. This is why two_ravens is on my ignore list. Name calling is absolutely not necessary here. I forget who said it this (and I'm paraphrasing): "many people on BOL live to get their panties in a bunch". I've never seen a forum that has so many people that are so quick to pass judgement.

I'm a reasonable person. I'm open to discussion and new ideas. Never have I called anyone a name, and never have I dismissed their behavior as ignorant or stupid. We're all adults (or at least we're chronologically adults), maybe some of you should start acting your age.

YEA,YEA,YEA, only a troll would resist wearing a helmet these days, the best benefit I find from wearing one is better vision at speed, it keeps my head and hence my eyes from bouncing around as much.

jmho,ymmv

...like I said. So quick to pass judgement and start name calling. I think you completely missed the point of Ironbird's post.

I'm pretty sure the question pertains to your handle "Sooperburd".

It's a misspelling of the name "Plymouth Superbird". The freak of a muscle car that was only produced for 1 year. It was only made in order to fulfill a Nascar requirement that the cars raced in Nascar needed to be real production vehicles.

I'm no Nascar fan, but I love muscle cars, and I appreciate the huevos it took for Chrysler to build something that ridiculous in order to win a few races.

The cars languished on car lots because they were so over the top. ...but Richard Petty won a lot of races that year.

800px-RichardPettyRoadrunner.jpg

I couldn't agree more. This is why two_ravens is on my ignore list. Name calling is absolutely not necessary here. I forget who said it this (and I'm paraphrasing): "many people on BOL live to get their panties in a bunch". I've never seen a forum that has so many people that are so quick to pass judgement.

I'm a reasonable person. I'm open to discussion and new ideas. Never have I called anyone a name, and never have I dismissed their behavior as ignorant or stupid. We're all adults (or at least we're chronologically adults), maybe some of you should start acting your age.

Dude... seriously. :rolleyes:

I've read two_ravens posts (a seriously funny lady and an A+ BOL contributor) twice and for the life of me can not see where she called you a name or passed judgement. She merely stated that if your going to ride without a helmet you might be interested in a new and upcoming treatment for concussion. Which I note she was able to give a pretty decent citation for.

As an aside I wonder what reading the SKES post is like with two_ravens on ignore??? Not as good I'm guessing!!!

Thanks for the handle pic!

I think I know what you mean by hurting your neck with 'heavy' helmet.

I used to own a Boeri Shorty Postal (hard thick shell on the outside), and when I fall can really feel my neck (I don't have a lot of neck muscle!), whereas now I can't really feel the helmet with the Giro G10 (thin shell on the outside).

The Boeri is 19oz, the G10 is 14.5oz, or a difference of 125g or so.

Does not sound like much but when the G10 only weight 410g, that's significantly more.

Because snow is much softer than pavement. Because I snowboard very slowly through the trees, generally avoid groomers, and spend 80-90% of my time in the bumps.

dude, this may be the single dumbest thing you've written. you would not risk hitting your bare noggin on pavement, but no problem riding through TREES? I dare to say wood is pretty close in hardness to pavement.

excellent troll, by the way.

dude, this may be the single dumbest thing you've written. you would not risk hitting your bare noggin on pavement, but no problem riding through TREES? I dare to say wood is pretty close in hardness to pavement.

excellent troll, by the way.

I will say that I've taken branches to the head on many occasions, and that it would have not been fun had I not been wearing my helmet.

Let me guess? On softboots? Why are you even here? What is it with the trolls this season? Do folks not get what this forum is for?

Let's all read what it says below "Carving Community" together, shall we?

post-569-141842305058_thumb.jpg

:) I was just quoting your first post to ask you to delete this thread to get this troll out of here when I saw your last post, entertaining he is,

I'd have to guess concussed

hahah maybe! lol i think this entire forum coming down on a guy is ridiculously funny!!!!!!:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2: but he def made some funny comments about how helmets don't support your head...... well from what i know snowboard helmets are made with same material that is inside of motorcycle helmet.. and that is why we have to replace it after any kind of impact! haha

Let me guess? On softboots? Why are you even here? What is it with the trolls this season? Do folks not get what this forum is for?

and lets take a look at what "sooper" says about himself.. i think it is along the line of "i am a softbooter....." not sure though lol

and lets take a look at what "sooper" says about himself.. i think it is along the line of "i am a softbooter....." not sure though lol

For some reason I thought this thread was in the OT. I looked again, and boy was I wrong. Well, I learn something new every day.

I've learned a lot about some of you as well.

Dude... seriously. :rolleyes:

I've read two_ravens posts (a seriously funny lady and an A+ BOL contributor) twice and for the life of me can not see where she called you a name or passed judgement. She merely stated that if your going to ride without a helmet you might be interested in a new and upcoming treatment for concussion. Which I note she was able to give a pretty decent citation for.

As an aside I wonder what reading the SKES post is like with two_ravens on ignore??? Not as good I'm guessing!!!

I had a misunderstanding and I cleared it up. TR is off my ignore list.

What's wrong with softbooters taking the time to visit this forum? Don't we want more people trying alpine? Sure, try to educate the unintiated, but frankly some of the comments made in this thread make us look like elitist douche bags. Not gonna draw a lot of folks that way.:smashfrea

What's wrong with softbooters taking the time to visit this forum? Don't we want more people trying alpine? Sure, try to educate the unintiated, but frankly some of the comments made in this thread make us look like elitist douch bags. Not gonna draw a lot of folks that way.:smashfrea

It was my mistake for thinking this was in the OT. I'll be more careful.

I don't see a problem with hardbooters wanting to have a place all to their own.

In most forums I visit, there's very little chance that I'll meet any of the members. This is the first forum I've joined where I actually could meet a lot of the members. ...and it's the first I've joined with so many hostile people. I will meet some of you this weekend. Are you going to be nice to me since you can't hide behind your keyboard anymore?

I suppose your behavior on this thread might put you in a predicament when we meet. I have admitted where I was wrong. I have a clear conscience.