Note to New Members ×

Thinking of ya Kimo.

Snowman

Our brother Kimo has been going through another harsh round of doctors poking around in his brain. He is experiencing some swelling inside that needs to be aliveated and I believe that this is complications related to the brain tumor that he had removed previously. He is one tough bird. My prayers are with you Kimo.

Think Snow!

Here is the email:

Hey guys, I had more surgery on my noggin this Thursday. It was relatively minor compared to the first one. The goal was to relieve pressure in the cyst/cavity that tumor came out of. It seems to have worked. In fact, I was speaking better than ever since the first surgery, though not quite normal. I’m still planning on SES, but that’ll probably be the first ride of the season.

Our positive thoughts and good vibes are with you Kimo!

Hope to see you on the hill soon bro!

Hey guys, I had more surgery on my noggin this Thursday. It was relatively minor compared to the first one. The goal was to relieve pressure in the cyst/cavity that tumor came out of. It seems to have worked. In fact, I was speaking better than ever since the first surgery, though not quite normal. I’m still planning on SES, but that’ll probably be the first ride of the season.
Thanks for the well wishes y'all.

That's great to hear!!! :biggthump

Just got this email from Kimo...

So I’m having surgery again at noon tomorrow. They’re going to put in that drain they were talking about. I’m kind of excited because I’ve already had a taste of what the improvement in all my deficient functions is like when pressure is fully removed from the cyst/cavity and I sure like it.

Attached is a Word doc with some questions you might have and the answers to them.

Attachment:

Is it better to have the surgery as soon as possible? Or wait till the labs comeback… just in case. What about getting the lab results before surgery?

Apparently, sooner is better. They were talking Mon/Tue, but I said if you want it sooner, do it tomorrow. Both labs (fluid and scraping) came back negative for tumor.

Could anything get better if it is done later?

Possibily, but they felt very strongly that this is the right course of action.

Has Dr V had much experience with this kind of problem, and if so, what were the outcomes?

No. He’s used this drain before, but not in this way. I’m special.

If it took eight months for fluid build up to become a problem, how come the cavity filled so quickly this time? Could some of the fluid be a result of the surgery? Could scrapingtissue during surgery have affected speech?

If the fluid build up is due to radiation and chemo necrosis, it can take up to a year to manifest. I’ve been on steroids for quite some time to mitigate the swelling, but couldn’t stay on them forever. Once I came off, the swelling continued.

Some of the fluid could be because of the second surgery.

Scraping most likely did not have anything to do anything to do with speech because it was dead tissue.

Is it possible to put something solid in the cavity to keep the fluid out?

No. The fluid is coming from the tissue in the cyst, like sweat from your skin, and an object would not block fluid from flowing.

Would the shunt/drain be permanent, or if not, how long would it remain in?

Semi-permanent. It would remain in as long as needed.

What precautions/restrictions on activities would a shunt entail?

Not too many. It would be sub-cutaneous and accessed periodically with a hypodermic. It will be visible as a bump under my scalp. Usually, they use this bladder/tube thing to put drugs into lymphoma patients. They’re going to use it in reverse with me and my fluids. Erik said Dr V said I still have a good chance of making my Aspen trip.