Note to New Members ×

broke a Virus!!

Ear dragger

Just stating facts fellas. I am not calling out anyone and just took the info given and applied my knowledge. If bindings are ripping out of boards is somewhat of a safety issue and knowing the facts can help to reduce the problem. Sure it was an older board but there are lots of old boards out there and if there is a compatibility concern, it should be addressed. I'd be the first to recommend that any of my boards form the 90s were not reinforced enough to be reliable with stiff bindings. It was the evolution period for binding and board compatability.

Frank, I have no hesitation about utilizing proven designs even if I did not come up with it first. Its more fun for me and my customers. Certain things work well and if they do why not use them? Mr Kessler is one guy I fully respect and would love to meet him someday. He seems to understand board dynamics more than anyone else that I have dealt with.

You are also correct that I did work in a Hospital until I finally decided to do the boards full time. I was at a huge disadvantage only being able to do it part time so please bear with me until I get caught up with all the latest and then maybe, just maybe could come up with an original idea or maybe a successful race design to compete with the big guys.

I just bought a used ford with a huge lift kit from a teenager. It turns out the engine is shot. Man that FORD company really builds a SH^&y automobile. It has 100k + miles, I wonder if they will replace it?.......HMMMM

Give me a figgin break!

kr:barf:

I just bought a used ford with a huge lift kit from a teenager. It turns out the engine is shot. Man that FORD company really builds a SH^&y automobile. It has 100k + miles, I wonder if they will replace it?.......HMMMM

Give me a figgin break!

kr:barf:

Dude, give ME a break.

At no point did the OP suggest that Virus builds ****ty boards. He did say, that it was a sweet carving board, that he wasn't expecting Frank to replace it for him, and that he was planning on buying another Virus to replace it with.

Getting bummed about at having a beloved ride break on you and sharing the story on line is not the same as getting online and claiming that virus makes crappy boards.

Boards break, we all know this. If somebody breaks a board, gets bummed and turns right around with plans to replace it with something from the same builder ... that's gotta tell you it must have been one hell of a kick ass ride. If anything happened to my main squeeze right now I know I'd be on the phone placing an order for the same thing the very next day ... and that's far from a disparaging remark.

Dude, give ME a break.

At no point did the OP suggest that Virus builds ****ty boards. He did say, that it was a sweet carving board, that he wasn't expecting Frank to replace it for him, and that he was planning on buying another Virus to replace it with.

Getting bummed about at having a beloved ride break on you and sharing the story on line is not the same as getting online and claiming that virus makes crappy boards.

+1

I never considered he was upset with Virus or implying the construction was poor quality either.

Personally I think it is good for us to know about broken equipment. There is no good reason to keep this secret. Especially if, like this, it can be done with respect toward the manufacturer.

Personally I think it is good for us to know about broken equipment. There is no good reason to keep this secret. Especially if, like this, it can be done with respect toward the manufacturer.

Second this thought! We have all broken outdoor gear through hard use that was designed properly but just wore out or finally gave in to extreme stress. Sharing stories of broken equipment when done properly can be a learning experience for everyone including the manufacturer. Even better is if the original poster can post an update after the manufacturer had a chance to examine the failure with their response.

I design kayak paddles for a company and we receive broken stuff back. Some of these are repaired for free and others we charge the customer a reasonable fee. We get rave reviews for our customer service response and high quality product.

I destroyed the Team Tantalus 175!! It happened during normal carving. No crashes, no improper setup, bindings were tight, No user mistakes. I do ride pretty hard but it should not matter!!

Would this statement not conclude that the product is in some way is inferior? Just one opinion. The board maker is not a relevant point, this could apply to any board maker. The dig was implied.

I remember all the back and forth regarding the law suit with bomber. I take this sport as with any sport as a risk. S----happens with used equipment. If this was a new board I would consider the story. Maybe the author did not imply the dig but it stands as I read it.

:argue:

first off I've gotta say it is amazing to see 2 board builders posting. I loved that virus. It was a fantastic ride, and I've contacted frank and it looks like I'm gonna get another tantalus but an evolution series. He says it has some more beef to it and of course all of their cutting edge technology. I find the warranty he offers to be very attractive!! We talked about my board.He thinks that the board got a crack prior to me owning it, and after that it was just a matter of time.

Bruce builds a fantastic board as well. My 178 FC is awesome to ride. It has been alot of fun for me, I just want something a little different which the virus offered to me. I would get another board from bruce but the waiting list is very long, and eces is not this month!

Ursle, My back boot was the one that broke, the board broke under the front binding and I was on my other board during that impact. Bruce, I would send you the board if you want it. And Jack I'm sorry you see this thread as a way to bash or call out. That is not my intention, I just wanted people to see what happened and wanted feedback.

That type of break looks like it was caused by the inserts pulling up through the core and then ripping the top off. This is usually a recipe for disappointment in the long run as the wood will only take so much. Its a very good time saver to do it that way but it does not hold up in the long run with stiff bindings.

I am totally unaware of how that board was built but opening it up would give you some idea as to whats up. Its just a combination of the small things that usually add up to failure and eliminating as many of them as possible is the best cure.

:argue: these threads featuring Virus seem to ALWAYS revolve around... Are they worth it? Who would pay that much? Why would you use that material? Some fluke situation happens and the haters jump to these lame questions. If there is a true problem with the manufacturing process then that is one thing but this strikes me as another lame bash session. Even the title provokes animosity. Cirus had every right to quip back with his sarcasm.

I too agree about posting equipment failure. People send back Evil softballs and Bats back to me when they fail in a time frame that could be considered early. I want to see this so we can tell if our process is flawed or did the item just reach its failure point.

Oh yeah, I dont see people posting about Nursypoo's boards breaking. Wonder why?

this strikes me as another lame bash session. Even the title provokes animosity. Cirus had every right to quip back with his sarcasm.

Defensive a bit? I really must have missed the Virus bashing. Seems to me the only negative opinions expressed were about Catek. I think the reputation of Virus quality is solid.

How does the title "broke a Virus!!" provoke animosity?

Cirus had no reason to respond to Bruce like he did. I definitely agree with those that think Bruce responded gracefully to Cirus though.

Bruce, I would send you the board if you want it.

Its a pretty easy autopsy as you just have to cut it open ( sawzall works well as the blades seem to handle edges best) and take a peek around the inserts or any signs of the wood cracking and distorting. Frank didn't mention anything in regards to reinforcing but so you can look to see if there is any type of fiber reinforcement that the inserts are pushed through as this is a very effective way to eliminate insert pulls. If no sign of injury appears around the inserts, the top lamination just let go as it must have hit its life cycle and there are a ton of factors that influence that and many I am surely not even aware of.

Do this and you are a good way to becoming a certified board disassembler.

The putting together part is a bit more tricky;)

Bruce, I set the board up in such a way that I could flex the crap out of the board. With a flashlight, I was able to see the inserts. They were not pulled thru. The core splintered some but only a small area. It's pretty interesting, I've never seen the inside of a board before. It kind of looks like many sheets of plywood stood on edge and glued all together (i guess)

Sucks!

Welcome to the club of BoardBusters!

As was said to me in my thread of a broken board with similar circumstances.... I had to laugh because no one has said it here yet:

"Maybe you should stop buying junk garbage boards and get a quality new board with modern technology"
...... :rolleyes:

(kidding :eplus2:)

I think you will be best to just clean it up nice, reglue it and make a wall hanging with it, cauz, It's Done. Seen its last hard carve.

If you come to the Demotents, I'm sure there would be something U could find to like ;) (shameless plug for multiple vendors) hehehee.

Geez, guys, get over it, ride on, you are making a fuzz about a board, which is about 6-7 years old and was riddin the way it was suppose to!!! HARD!

Btw. Any idea how many Kesslers break? Ha HA! Every board can break!

Cirus had no reason to respond to Bruce like he did.

Wow, but was it really Bruce's place to add his "senf" here? Not professional IMHO. I have to assume if this would have been a broken Coiler that Cyrus would not have given his S**t to it... anyway, this thread is a total waste of ink :o

Cheers!

I have never purchased a Virus or Coiler.

I have not met Bruce, Cyrus, Bobby or Frank.

I still want to meet Bruce and Frank.

I would still like to purchase a Virus or a Coiler. Or both.

Our carving community is too small for anyone to start peeing in the pool. No matter how bad they think they need to. :eek:

Geez, guys, get over it, ride on, you are making a fuzz about a board, which is about 6-7 years old and was riddin the way it was suppose to!!! HARD!

Btw. Any idea how many Kesslers break? Ha HA! Every board can break!

Wow, but was it really Bruce's place to add his "senf" here? Not professional IMHO. I have to assume if this would have been a broken Coiler that Cyrus would not have given his S**t to it... anyway, this thread is a total waste of ink :o

Cheers!

So confused. :confused:

Can a Virus defender please tell me who said anything negative in this thread about Virus boards, their construction, or their warranty?

I'm still not seeing anything in Bruce's language where he even slightly attacks Virus construction. He was giving his (very knowledgeable) perspective on how or why the board may have broken from his experience with his materials and testing. I did not see any insinuation that the construction was poor. I'm not sure why everyone is getting all riled up here. Can't we all just get along? :1luvu: Go out and riiiiide maaaan......