Note to New Members ×

broke a Virus!!

Ear dragger

I destroyed the Team Tantalus 175!! It happened during normal carving. No crashes, no improper setup, bindings were tight, No user mistakes. I do ride pretty hard but it should not matter!! It was a sweet carving board:(. I'm gonna talk to mr. Virus tommorow and see what to do. I doubt it will be replaced. Probably gonna buy a new one but a custom that can handle what I dish out to it! Pretty surprising that it delaminated. You can see inside and the core is split! the pics probably won't show it but, it's definately cracked. Guess the board is going to carving heaven:ices_ange

post-6615-141842296901_thumb.jpg

post-6615-141842296904_thumb.jpg

post-6615-141842296906_thumb.jpg

DUDE!

That blows...

That was a pretty board, I remember it well.

My Coiler X4 Arrow would make a nice replacement and is well suited for Stratton.:biggthump

Maybe I could let go one of my personal favorites, the Virus Gladiator Ultra Carbon.

Give me a call bud.

Not what you want to hear but...

I've seen that type of binding destroy several boards... one just a few weeks ago (non-metal)

It's too stiff with very little dampening... especially for someone that puts a lot of torque on the board

Think about how boards were constructed when that binding was being made. They were beefy, thick, and stiff...able to withstand more pressure in a small area. There were still breaks and inserts getting ripped out back then... but just a bad idea to put old stiff bindings on a newer/lighter board

Those bindings aren't that old. They're OS 2's with the D3 elastomer. They are probably about the same stiffness as TD2's with the yellow elastomer. Did the board that you saw broken have OS 2's or the older really stiff Cateks? Just curious 'cause I'm using OS2's on my metal Priors.

it's the OS2s and the fr2s that are a issue.

even with the D3, Bruce of coiler mentioned it as well as prior people and it's come up here.

very small surface area smaller in fact than the older cateks similar to the td1

put a lexan plate under it and you're good to go.

I ride a lexan plate under my fr2s even.

Ear Dragger,

Very sorry to hear. I've experienced that problem before. I don't think it is a Virus thing or a Catek thing - it's just bad timing of a lot of different circumstances, including slope, snow type, pressure angle, gear etc.

Indeed, contact Frank at Virus. He was very helpful to me in a similar situation.

Colin

it's the OS2s and the fr2s that are a issue.

even with the D3, Bruce of coiler mentioned it as well as prior people and it's come up here.

very small surface area smaller in fact than the older cateks similar to the td1

put a lexan plate under it and you're good to go.

I ride a lexan plate under my fr2s even.

That makes sense. I broke a Tanker 182 07-08 model (white top sheet) while riding FR2s on it. The break was similar to the one seen on my 04-05 192 model - base was all cracked and raised up along the p-tex designs. Granted, that board saw much harsher riding and had a collision with another boarder earlier in the season 2 riding days before the break.

If cateks were the problem, I would have busted my coiler a long time ago!! Yes the lexan plate is to disperse the "point loading" but I highly doubt the board would have stayed together with those plates. I think it is just a imperfection that was in the board from when it was built. I will talk to virus, and other virus owners, because I plan on riding another one with os2's. Again The coiler I have would have done the same thing if the bindings were the case, cause I have been beating on that board for a while. of course I'm open to all opinions on the matter (why i posted the break).

That type of break looks like it was caused by the inserts pulling up through the core and then ripping the top off. If you cut the board open it would give you a good idea of whats up. A lot of boards I have opened up with that type of damage just have the inserts put right into the wood with no additional reinforcement. This is usually a recipe for disappointment in the long run as the wood will only take so much. Its a very good time saver to do it that way but it does not hold up in the long run with stiff bindings. If you think about wanting to build a tool to pull inserts out of a board, you would support it on the perimeter and then put a big nut in the middle to pull up on the inserts to see how strong they are, get the picture;)

My glass and metal boards all have reinforcement and for heavy dudes or stiff bindings I even add more to help protect.

I am totally unaware of how that board was built but opening it up would give you some idea as to whats up. Its just a combination of the small things that usually add up to failure and eliminating as many of them as possible is the best cure.

Yes I am still alive

That type of break looks like it was caused by the inserts pulling up through the core and then ripping the top off. If you cut the board open it would give you a good idea of whats up. A lot of boards I have opened up with that type of damage just have the inserts put right into the wood with no additional reinforcement. This is usually a recipe for disappointment in the long run as the wood will only take so much. Its a very good time saver to do it that way but it does not hold up in the long run with stiff bindings. If you think about wanting to build a tool to pull inserts out of a board, you would support it on the perimeter and then put a big nut in the middle to pull up on the inserts to see how strong they are, get the picture;)

My glass and metal boards all have reinforcement and for heavy dudes or stiff bindings I even add more to help protect.

I am totally unaware of how that board was built but opening it up would give you some idea as to whats up. Its just a combination of the small things that usually add up to failure and eliminating as many of them as possible is the best cure.

Yes I am still alive

Hi Bruce, nice to hear that you are still alive!

For your info, the board is from 2003/2004 season and was bought used!

What the first user did with that board nobody knows!

I didn´t know what you did at that time 2003 / 2004( rumours I heard: You worked as a nurse!?)

So please let us know more from your innovations!

All new boards I saw from you are innovated by a well known guy making all the competition boards for worldcup riders from Switzerland.

What´s your news and innovations!? rocker nose and tail? Titanal with carbon stripes? A woodcore? A running base!?

Ahhh now I know !!!!

Tatatata! Here it comes: :lurk:"A CUSTOM PRINTED TOP SHEET":lurk:

Congrats!:biggthump

Sorry but you should now it best, every board could be damaged!

• Like 1