Note to New Members ×

broke a Virus!!

Ear dragger

I find the failure analysis stuff fascinating even if it is just speculation from one photo. One can offer their opinion of the failure without necessaril implying that the original product is garbage. I'd say Bruce's analysis is far from saying anything negative, it only listed options.

I'd love to cut that failed board up to diagnose it! And to see what cool tricks Frank used in its construction!

In a way, I think it is a good thing. This must happen so rarely that if someone breaks a virus board it makes a news!

Imagine someone breaking a burton or k2 or any other mass-produced freeride board. We wouldn't make a big deal out of it.

And the warranty provided was more than super!

It's also good to see that the board builders themselves are interacting with the community.

:biggthump

I have had the opportunity to see Bruce build a board and have seen the amount of thought and care he puts in solving small problems and improving his build process. I know that Bruce was not a nurse but worked at a hospital. Personally I think the nurse comment was sexist as I have met male nurses and they work hard and do a valuable job. I do not know Virus, but would like to think that, like any manufacture, he is interested in improving his designs. Good engineering only happens by examining ways that a product does break. Boards break as they have a life expectancy as they are meant to be used. I would like to know how a board is made and why it would fail. As for the issue of being innovative, engineers only improve designs by small degrees each time they redesign a product. I would like to think that all board builders use feedback from customers and test their own designs by riding them to improve their product. I am only 16 but it’s clear that both builders care about their product that is the real issue.

Well, this is quite a thread. I had no idea it could get so many responses! Frank is building me a new board! Tantalus evolution 175, in beatiful Black!! The tantalus has to be the perfect shape for me. I really like the sidecut, and waist width. It was truly amazing what the edge would hold on.

As far as the break, I think it was either the board made it's last turn and gave out, due to use. Or that board was made for a much lighter person, and I took that thing over it's limit. I was sad to break it, but look at the stink I created!!!!

Nobody needs to get upset over this. I am kind of a heavy dude. 215, plus I do try to get low and pressure those edges. The more I think about it, the more I think the board was made for a lighter person. We can only speculate:freak3:

@Ear Dragger: the outcome couldn't be better for you. The Tantalus Evolution, from all I've heard, seems to be a very very fine board. A friend of mine is very pleased with it, and lays big trenches with it.

Evo construction seems to be absolute cutting edge technology in all the words meanings. My Spartan's got Evo construction as well. :1luvu:

Have a look at this quickly cut vid (shot this weekend on Katschberg/Austria) in which you can see 4 Evo Boards (all of them Spartans) at work

makes sense, lots of those boards are as much skwal as snowboard

Not true. The spartans in the vid mentioned here are about 18 to 20cm wide and are also EVO construction boards ;). You can get almost every VIRUS board in EVO construction.

Hans, I don't know if you can get the Evo option for each Virus board. The real wide ones like Scalpel or X-treme are available in Titanal instead.. not sure.

The Spartans are 18cm Boards.

The thing about Evo seems to be that the boards are very stable and damp, esp in crud and bumpy conditions. Spartan shape helps with that, but there is also a major difference between a classic and an Evo Tantalus. Maybe there is a slight loss of snappyness, but you can't have everything in one board.

Tramp, I don't understand. You think the Spartan could do better with a different rider? Sure.. but don't be too harsh about that. We're still learning.

What I wanted to show is how forgiving and stable the Board is. The average carver on a slope with reputedly 100% steepness (=45° degree; I don't really believe these figures, but it's steep anyway) in the mist? You need to trust in your edge to even try this.

I said: ALMOST every Virus Board. Yeah, those Scalpels are one of a kind.

EVo must be one or more layers of carbon and titanal and rubber. I felt a huge difference in my BLING BLING Cyborg EVO I and EVO II. The EVO II just had more stability on early morning icy hardpack corduroy.

I think for the X-treme and Scalpel the more sophisticated models are called the 'Premium'. But do not ask me what is inside... only God and Frank knows...

Both the Scalpel and the X-treme also exist in Titanal.

I happen to have an X-treme Titanal and I think it is a great board for what it was designed. Soon I'll have the chance to compare it with the Premium edition.

Not true. The spartans in the vid mentioned here are about 18 to 20cm wide and are also EVO construction boards ;). You can get almost every VIRUS board in EVO construction.

what I was trying to say is so many of his boards are so narrow that making a good skwal is no stretch for him because some of his boards are barely snowboards and almost qualify skwals anyway

what I was trying to say is so many of his boards are so narrow that making a good skwal is no stretch for him because some of his boards are barely snowboards and almost qualify skwals anyway

Okay get it. Yes from a Cyborg to a Skwal is not a biggy for an engineer like Frank is.