Note to New Members ×

Any Audio Engineers out there? Need some help...

fin

I am putting this in the snowboard forum as it is something that has probably effected us all at one point. Had a situation today at Keystone where a "Mountain Safety (we call them yellow jackets)" guy was way over the line. Long story short Chris (Ace) was with me and got the whole thing on video. The video part pretty much tells the story but the audio came out very "low" and is hard to hear.

Might be nothing or might be something fun but when I talk to the Mnt. Manager soon would love to have a copy we can all hear.

So is anyone here an audio engineer type out there that can help me extract some usable audio from this file (Mpeg-4)?

Cheers,

post-1-141842295664_thumb.jpg

Long story short Chris (Ace) was with me and got the whole thing on video. The video part pretty much tells the story but the audio came out very "low" and is hard to hear.

So is anyone here an audio engineer type out there that can help me extract some usable audio from this file (Mpeg-4)?

Cheers,

Send me the file and I can try... PM me.

mind posting the video on youtube or something for us to see (and throw in our own voices :biggthump) ?

Try not to look so guilty Fin. You look like you're trying to swallow a crack rock in that screenshot. :p

Good luck with the fight. Post updates if you can! Writing out a transcript to go along with the video can help too. Do it now while it's fresh in your memory.

Yea, I have had issues with these guys for years. I am convinced that our style and gear is so unique that we are the "red herring" on the hill so we stand out and get picked out. I actually have the footage of the "offending run" as well and we'll get that up soon enough.

I have the file cut down to about 93megs right now but do not want to reduce quality for this task (extract audio) for obvious reasons. Arclite, just sent you message about this.

Does anyone have a public ftp site we could use for this? My e-mail will not handle this size file.

Just a typical case where 'the man is just trying to keep the brotha down'! :angryfire:angryfire

I got hassled by the slope nazis last year at our local hill. There were about five of us carving and he decided that I am the one that needs a talking to. I heard his rant and when he began to repeat himself, I got up and rode away.

Fin getting a ticket at keystone is akin to President Obama getting written up by the D.C. police department. It just shouldn't happen.

Yea, I have had issues with these guys for years. I am convinced that our style and gear is so unique that we are the "red herring" on the hill so we stand out and get picked out. I actually have the footage of the "offending run" as well and we'll get that up soon enough.

I have the file cut down to about 93megs right now but do not want to reduce quality for this task (extract audio) for obvious reasons. Arclite, just sent you message about this.

Does anyone have a public ftp site we could use for this? My e-mail will not handle this size file.

what about a torrent?

Huge thanks to Scott Firestone for helping with this. He sent me the info for an ftp site he just set up for this.

Keep in mind this is just the point where they pulled me over and gave me a "speech". I'll give more details later and show the clip of the run, but for now just need someones help tweaking the footage so you can actual hear what is being said.

For now please e-mail directly (below) and I will get you the file via ftp.

Can't understand these jobs in the USA. Pist Police - Snow Patrol? We don't have them here in Europe. What's the meaning of those guys anyway?

Looking if your speed is too high? Is there a max. speedlimit on a piste then?

As long as you are not a threat/harm to other piste users I see no harm in speeding.

If that's the case they would be busy here with all those straight liners we have here ......

Anyway interested in editing/seeing that clip to see/hear what this is all about.

I would like to see them also acting here this side of bond.

Atleast how they handled stuff in Santa Fe was great, they took care that folks who were speeding without proper control were stopped and allowed god speed for folks who they saw handling speed. Plus they took good care of folks braking for crossing slopes.

At least how they handled stuff in Santa Fe was great, they took care that folks who were speeding without proper control were stopped and allowed god speed for folks who they saw handling speed. Plus they took good care of folks braking for crossing slopes.

Good points. Especially taking care of folks who stop where ever they want on a slope, yeah exactly in the middle of a slope.....

hey fin,

they must've been trained by our good friends at welch village; welcome to the club! maybe we should all wear matching jackets too. or just a big scarlet "C" on our backs. ;)

good luck with your battle, if they're anything like what we've been dealing with, it's a losing one. we've had video, pictures, and the ski race director on our side, but none of it mattered. even when caught in a lie, they stuck to fabricated stories and refused to listen.

-trent

I'm not an audio engineer.. but I do work in

production.

With a poorly-lit digital photo, you can brighten the entire image to make the photo more appealing.. because the individual pixel data is still there.. just dark..

From my experience, poor source audio is really hard to alter in post-production.. You can increase the volume.. but remember that changes across the entire audio track often amplifies the hissing, pops, and errors within.

For quick audio editing I use a free software called Audacity Check it out.

It does have some options for filtering out noise..

Also has a plug-in available to encode/output to .mp3

I also use Adobe "Soundbooth". That software package is not free, but

has some more advanced filtering options and support for video.

Let me know if I can be of assistance. I do have access to a private

FTP site for large file transfers.

I was riding with 4 skiers at Copper and everyone went by a couple of the mountain hosts (or whatever they're called) and one patroller. It was in a slow ski area and we weren't going very fast (and I was actually passed by 3 of the skiers in my group as we went by them) but making a lot of small slalom turns just for fun since it was a slow area and I didn't want to take up space. We got to the lift line and they came down and pulled me out of line and read me the riot act that I was going to fast and buzzing them. Luckily the skiers I was with came over and asked what the problem was. the patroller thought that they were on his side and thought that I annoying the skiers with m y small turns, but they said thatthey were with me and in fact were going faster than I was so why weren't they in trouble. They all kind of shut up and then warned all of us to slow down and left. I still know that it was because of the stance angles and the way it looks when you ride. You "look" fast even when you're going slow. the worst is when you're in control and people rocket by with no control and you still get talked to because you're on an alpine board.