Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 09-10 Edition

nekdut

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have said that I left the old fart standing there as I took the next chair!

On an early outing I was next in line by myself for the quad and 2 skiers came up and stood next to me as if they were going to ride up with me. I said "hi", they nodded and when the next chair came I went up to the line and they stayed behind. Oh well, I got to sprall out. On the other hand I've had skiers get on with me and my daughter when I would prefer they didn't since my daughter rides goofy, I'm regular, and if we get on a full chair I have to sit sideways to keep from bumping.

I was denied by an instructor a week ago in the line, she said she would take a skier but not a boarder, then the guy behind me snuck around me to ride up with her. I felt discriminated against.

Just go right up there, you have a lift ticket!

If she wants, SHE can wait for the next #$%^&* chair.

Sweet! Does he shave his chest and wear leather underwear too?

He makes due with a halloween hockey mask and a very similar voice.

When something is all screwed up, he starts quoting Humungus..

"Just walk away...there will be an end to this horror....just walk away....etc...etc"

Freaking hilarious.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TL4XZdyo3g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TL4XZdyo3g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was denied by an instructor a week ago in the line, she said she would take a skier but not a boarder...

I'd probably take offence at that, although it sort of depends what precisely she wanted you to do/ not to do. Skiers are simply better at doing some things on icy snow than boarders.

The other week I was given a kid by an instructor and asked to take him up on the lift. That guy knew I could ride the lift and not molest the kid. To suggest otherwise the contrary for either of those would definitely cause offence.

after going to be lift to confront the tele-mark skier that collided with me.

"i saw you cutting over but i didn't think you were going to go that far over" (he was up hill)

after telling my boss that i had to bite my tongue because he's a regular there (i'm a lifty at this hill btw), he said that as long as i'm not wearing my name tag, i can say any thing i find necessary. :eplus2::boxing_sm

On the lift at Wildcat NH a few weeks ago, a patroller complimented me on my teleboarding skills, and mentioned he loves it every time he sees a teleboarder ripping around the mountain.

How do people know about teleboards but not carvers? Something in the beer? I know I'm not the first person on the east coast to be asked that, by a long shot!

• 2 weeks later...

but in the lineup for lift ticket an older gent (60ish ) that i had been talking to a few minutes earlier invites me to join him ande his friend for the day. Somewhere in the conversation i tell him this is my first year back on the slopes because of an accident. "Glad your not snowboarding anymore" he says. Oh i am sboarding i reply. " As long as your not digging big trenches like the guy here yesterday" Ummm ...that was me . He walks away:p:D:biggthump

You could ride Nakiska with us. We get up to Red Crow ASAP on a weekend, and four or five of us trench the crap out of it for a solid couple of hours. Then we stop at the bottom, grin and say "yep, they'll be grooming that tonight".

We figure we pay as much as anybody else to be on the hill, we're entitled to our fun too.

Yeah I say you haven't really carved unless the groomer has to make at least two passes to get rid of your trenches. :eplus2:

Dave

Lady Lift OP yesterday says..."this is your 113 day, today"

I tell her, Uh OH! , years ago I hit a tree while skiing on Fri. the 13th and then two years later I had my appendex removed on Fri. the 13th. 13 is a number, especially on Fridays when I pay extra attention to what I am doing...;)

She Says, "I was Born on Friday the 13th" with a beautiful smile!

I say...."life is just full of coincidences" :o

So at my mountain yesterday there was a large demo day going on with many tents and reps letting people try out new skis and boards.

I came rolling up at lunch and stopped in front of the Nidecker tent asking the guy if he had any of their carving boards.

He looked at me and said "Wow I haven't seen one of those boards in like a year. I ask them not to send me those race boards"

I guess that Nidecker is not trying to help grow carving. :confused:

So at my mountain yesterday there was a large demo day going on with many tents and reps letting people try out new skis and boards.

I came rolling up at lunch and stopped in front of the Nidecker tent asking the guy if he had any of their carving boards.

He looked at me and said "Wow I haven't seen one of those boards in like a year. I ask them not to send me those race boards"

I guess that Nidecker is not trying to help grow carving. :confused:

Yeah, there was a Nidecker tent at a demo day on my local hill and their rep didn't know much about race and carving gear. He had a lot more to say on the new Yes brand that Nidecker is pressing. He didn't even know who Sword is even though Nidecker is pressing them as well.

It seems like alpine awareness and attitude is definitely improving, at least that is what I experienced at Mammoth this past weekend. I had at least eight instances in the lift line where people knew what I was riding, and either directly complimented my ride choice or commented to their friends that they totally wanted one. I got a few "speed board" or "downhill board" comments, but the general attitude was positive, definitely much better than compared to previous years. Surprisingly, most of the comments came from the young jibber type.

What are you guys hearing out there these days?

I hear all the time that I am riding a hard board or a tele board!

All the time!

Lady Lift OP yesterday says..."this is your 113 day, today"

I tell her, Uh OH! , years ago I hit a tree while skiing on Fri. the 13th and then two years later I had my appendex removed on Fri. the 13th. 13 is a number, especially on Fridays when I pay extra attention to what I am doing...;)

She Says, "I was Born on Friday the 13th" with a beautiful smile!

I say...."life is just full of coincidences" :o

HA HA that is funny! :lol:

Softbootsailer spotting at Aspen last Friday! You can screaming past us making some really nice turns in Spar Gulch. We had to look at you for a few minutes to see that you were on softies, you were really making some sweet trenches!

Yeah I say you haven't really carved unless the groomer has to make at least two passes to get rid of your trenches. :eplus2:

Dave

+1:biggthump

A week ago on one of my rare saturdays I cruised onto the chair (no line) sat on the quad with two 8yr old girls who obviously came from ski race families; the grom closest to me asked her friend "what is that" and the other girl said that's a sknow board (20.5x165 nidecker w/nitro stepins & raichles). I laughed and said it's an alpine snowboard but they argued whether it was a sknow board or a skiboard, I had to agree with sknowboard and got off the lift with a big smile.