Note to New Members ×

Pisssed? Furrious?

nekdut

Haven't even taken off "Da Shine" tape yet on the NSR? Shame on you!

Not yet. I need to transport it up to Mammoth first. The bling will come out tomorrow night.

I plan to leave the tape on the Angrry since its a demo/proto.

Neil, Both boards look sick!! Are the inserts on the NSR for Vist system?

See you in a few weeks (H1N1 permitting).

Take care, Tom

Yep, Bruce is making all NSRs with Vist inserts standard, not that I have a Vist plate to try things out though. :p

See you soon Tom!

I'm going to be autocrossing in sunny 60F weather this weekend but I'll be anxious to get home to read the review... Can't wait to hear the comparison!

Find some rock hard ice if you can, that's the situation I want this board for.

I actually found Mammoth's grooming to be great this time of year; the snow is very carveable in the AM considering the freeze-thaw happening all the time. They run the cats all day too!

Beats the crap out of "grooming" at 4:30 PM when it's 50 degrees, and then letting the temps hit 30 at 7:30, which is the case down in the San Gabriels here..It's not even frozen cord, it's corrugated steel!

Ha isn't another one of Jack's spec boards to kill the dated Madd 158?

20cm waist 11m radius?

That board will be coming to me for testing next season against my 2007 Madd 158 f3. Bruce revised my initial suggestion for specs. Sidecut is VSR (avg 9.5m), waist is 19cm. Length is 160.

You know, most of the time I wouldn't have a problem with tonight's forecast:

Tonight: Snow. Low around 30. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

But I wanted to test out the ice carvers tomorrow morning! I shouldn't complain too much though. It is May and we'll take all that we can get!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten. :) I spent the last few days trying this out and here is my feedback as sent to Bruce:

Try number 2 this morning and I did back to back to back on the same runs as much as I could. It is a very different ride from the classic 158 honestly. The Angrry felt considerably slower edge to edge and also felt stiffer between the bindings. It was nice not having to pound the nose, and the sweet spot is large and comfy on your board. However, that was some of what I missed. The classic Madd was more playful and quite a bit more poppy/snappy. As the snow softened, the Angrry seemed to easily overturn, not really a hooky feeling, but it felt somewhat as if the sidecuts were fighting each other a bit. It may have just been how I was riding the board, so I will try a bit more. As expected, the metal feel was definitely quite comfortable when skidding or when the going got rough.

I'm going to give it another go first thing tomorrow morning. It will be cold enough to firm things up solid. The grooming lately has been terrible, but that should give the board an extra challenge to work against.

Here's the next full day of riding:

Okay, I spent pretty much the full day on the Angrry today to make sure I understood how it felt underfoot. It is definitely a MUCH more forgiving than the classic 158. There is less of a need to pound turn after turn as I did on the Madd. While the Madd does larger/longer turns quite well considering its length, it pulls you back into little turns pretty quickly after drawing things out. Not so much on the Angrry. Very stable and predictable turns, somewhat like a little Stubby. I'm sure the metal is helping a lot in smoothening the ride out and making things less fatiguing.

Pounding out hyper little turns takes more of a concerted effort on the Angrry than the Madd however. The classic 158 is more twitchy (in a good way honestly) and Angrry feels slower and less energetic edge-to-edge (perhaps again a function of the metal). I'm not sure how the new geometry plays into all of this but perhaps a tighter side cut closer to the nose perhaps? I mentioned the stiffness between the feet in my earlier email; I feel this is offsetting the stiff nose on the Madd, making for a more stable platform for general riding overall. While I am pretty comfortable with the riding style required for the classic 158, its bear to ride for a full day. I definitely lasted longer on the Angrry today.

I am going to the other end of the spectrum and properly trying out the NSR tomorrow. Thankfully, no storm this time around. Sean Cassidy will be riding the Angrry in the AM ice so I'll make sure to get his feedback to you.

Hopefully Sean will see this post and throw his 2 cents in.

Hope this helps! Bruce sounded like he appreciated the feedback, and I'm going to give it a few more tries over the new few weeks as I can (as long as the snow holds up!). :biggthump :biggthump