Note to New Members ×

Can YOU carve all day for 6 straight days???

SWriverstone

Though I've gotten out on the slopes at least 25 days so far this season...I'm seriously concerned about physically surviving SES! :( :)

I mean, I can do 15-20 runs at our short local slopes without severe leg burn...with maybe a day or two before and after...but carving every day...on slopes about 10x longer than what I'm used to? YIKES!

I'm curious to hear how others have handled it at past SES's. (And you don't count if you carve every single day and are in superstud Olympian shape.)

Guess I'll be bringing the gallon-jug of ibuprofen and drinking a shot glass full of pills every night, LOL.

Scott

PS - I know there's a "rest day" built into the schedule...but if you think I'm NOT gonna be out on those glorious slopes every single day...you're nuts! :) This is my first trip to a "real" carving location...and I plan to take full advantage of every second!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never tried legs, but if you can get to a gym, tall building, parking deck. Anywhere you can get acces to climbing stairs. I did that last year for a few weeks before ECES, certainly not SES, but it did help in riding thru the afternoon. Cant do that, do squats sets each day. you dont need weight but if you do about 10-15 sets of 25-30 reps, that will give you some burn. Throw on a back pack with weights. Pretend youre rocky in Rocky 3, train natural.

While you feel like you might miss something, i.e. that many other carvers, afford yourself some breaks thru the day. You might lose contact with a group that you start the day with but you will defintely hoook up with other groups and being able to ride with varying people should help keep it fresh and you wont feel your legs tiring. Here in PA, we just ride till it gets too crowded or icy and very infrequenctly ride into the afternoon unless its "one of those days" so I know what you mean in the diff between local days and CO days..

One thing that JBS shared with me last year at ECES was a herbal supplement. He had something else, but I picked up a bottle of Kyo-Green- powdered natural energy mix when I got home. Its basically minced, dried barley grass, wheat grass, kelp, etc. Suprisingly, it worked very well, mixed it with a glass of water. Keep my legs fresh through the day

http://www.kyolic.com/html/products/greens/kyogreen.htm

My wife and I ride/ski every second day and rest if we're tired during the day. Our local hills give us one 45-second run every 9-20 minutes or so, depending on line length. You get a lot more time on the board and less rest in Colorado!

Hang out at the Bomber tent, there are lots of friendly people to chat with!

Did it last year with Thor during my March break.. and the year before with JoelP . It ws too my first trip to real mountains and I'm used to riding 600 foot bump around here so it was a big difference in height riding Aspen, A-basin and Winter Park.

Both times I went to Colorado it was the same thing. I find you hit a wall after the 3rd day or riding hard. I wasn't sure if my body was going to hold for the 4-5-6th day. If you manage to get over it you're good. After the 6th day my body was still Ok for more.

The Hot springs baths after the 3rd day had a magical effect on my legs, plus eating right a few protein drinks and stretching.

If in Aspen drive to Glenwood springs for that hot spring Pool.

Though I've gotten out on the slopes at least 25 days so far this season...I'm seriously concerned about physically surviving SES! :( :)

I mean, I can do 15-20 runs at our short local slopes without severe leg burn...with maybe a day or two before and after...but carving every day...on slopes about 10x longer than what I'm used to? YIKES!

I'm curious to hear how others have handled it at past SES's. (And you don't count if you carve every single day and are in superstud Olympian shape.)

A cupla thoughts for you. Stretch, stretch and after that do a little more stretching. Also when I am getting ready to charge hard, I start with my boots loose. Actually slightly looser than is comfortable. For the first run. Makes me slow down a bit and also lets everything (like my calf muscles ) warm up before I really go for it. Then I tighten up a bit for the next run and the third run I go for it.

You will have to get into a groove where you can stand up nice and tall once in a while and let those legs breathe. Muscles held in contraction build lactic acid, until the muscle is let loose acid builds, this creates the dreaded muscle burn.

Two other things you can do is carry a camera so you have something else to do than carve hard and carry an iPod so when you sucking wind on the side of the run it looks like you are doing something. :rolleyes: "You guys go on I lost an earpiece and ......."

Did I mention stretching before? Do as much as you can after too, although this could cut into the beer drinking. I like to stretch in the hot tub - so good.

We're in pretty good shape (rode a metric bicycle century and a full century in October) and I've been carving several times a week since December...but I just ordered a couple bottles of SportLegs! :biggthump

What about altitude? Anyone ever experience any headaches or other altitude-related stuff? (We're lowly east-coasters, groveling around at barely above sea level, LOL).

Scott

I have read just the opposite. Don't know how true it is, haven't tried it yet.

Using the rest day for rest is the best bet to have a good time the rest of the week.

From the article.

At least, that’s the theory. But scientists putting ice baths to the test under laboratory conditions have produced mixed results.

Two Australian studies published last year illustrate the confusion. The first, from the British Journal of Sports Medicine, found no reduction in pain, swelling or muscle impairment in subjects who received three one-minute immersions in 5 C water after heavy leg-extension exercises.

I say eat, drink and hot tub. :biggthump

Maybe for someone playing football the icing of the body is like an ice pack on an injured joint. Seems like for me the heat relaxes me, speeds up blood flow to a point and allows me to do long slow stretches of a heated up and relaxed muscle.

Maybe the best is to hot tub and then roll around in the snow. Has that been done before at SES? Or did someone just stagger off the deck on their way back into the house?

:eplus2:

We're in pretty good shape (rode a metric bicycle century and a full century in October) and I've been carving several times a week since December...but I just ordered a couple bottles of SportLegs! :biggthump

What about altitude? Anyone ever experience any headaches or other altitude-related stuff? (We're lowly east-coasters, groveling around at barely above sea level, LOL).

Scott

This November when I was in Summit County, I had a bit of trouble with the altitude. It did not affect my carving too much except that I was panting after a long run. I did notice that my nose/skin was very dry, and that I was not as hungry as normal. It took me about four days to get somewhat used to it. I did not have headaches. Overall, it wasn't too bad. I'm not sure what aspens elevation is compared to Summit County.

There was one case of HAPE in a fellow New Englander at the 2005 SES I was at. My first day there we rode Highlands, and the Bowl was looking pristine and very tempting. Some guys hiked it (Paulk - bastard), but I had to restrain myself because I figured there was an excellent chance that a hike up to 13000 feet on my first day there would ruin my trip.

Having a camelpack is a necessity. I filled mine 3 times a day, everyday. Staying hydrated made all the difference for keeping my energy level high (Sports Legs helped too:biggthump). Make yourself drink even if you don't feel thirsty yet. Once you are thirsty, you are already getting dehydrated.

For the last 5 years I have spent 2-3 weeks every winter in Aspen. Normally living at sealevel and then staying at 2400 meters is a challenge for the body. Water and streching is good. But what you NOT should do for the first couple of days is riding hard in the upper parts of Snowmass. Acclimatise in Buttermilk for the first couple of days is the thing to do. And cruise a bit in the afternoons. Lots of greens in West buttermilk. After this go for it!

One year I crashed after some powriding in Snowmass and had to stay in the hot tub for a whole day:D It was on my second day in Aspen. I just blacked out.

But riding for 3 weeks every day is no problem:biggthump

If you can't acquire SportLegs, get a box of EmergenC Joint Health and a box of EmergenC Bone Health. Mix one packet of each in about 10 oz water. It's worked for me for the past few seasons; the only days I get lactic acid burn are on 40k+ vertical feet days where my Camelback runs dry and I ignore my better sense and don't stop to refill it.

I'm reasonably fit but have a long way to go before I'm really fit.

I seem to recall being one of the last ones standing at OES last year... 5 days in a row, and I had had one day off before it which came after a 5 or 6 day run.

General fitness and lower body strength are the key for me. On past trips with my local ski club my legs would be dead after the first day, and then I could only ride half days after that until I took a rest day, and even then I couldn't do full days. So before SES last year I really worked on getting fit. I did bike spin classes 2 or 3 times a week. I ran hill repeats and hilly trail runs. I did leg presses and squats at the gym. And I did wall sits, which really burn the thighs. I was able ride every day at SES for full days without a rest day. For the SES day off, I rode with my ski club friends.

I did stretch at the end of each day, which helps recovery, and being flexible also helps prevent injuries.