• I like to stretch before each run
    • Don't like the interface

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard boots....I listened to all the reasons why not to and then I got old and started riding a small hill...Step in's mean I slide off the lift and barely slowdown on my way down the hill...sure it only saves a few seconds but anything that makes my ride more pleasant is what I like

I was really good at "strap-in on the fly" but I found "step-in on the fly" to be quicker & easier in '93 & haven't come across anything better since.

Where's the soft stepin guys.

I've tried every stepin system I've seen, soft & hard except; the soft Intec & the morrow 3point prototype, and the hardboot F.A.S.T.

Switch & Nitro are the most durable, mantinence free, time proven systems. It's sad that Nitro's are history:(

I wish I could count the number of times I've gotten firsties because I stepped in on the fly while the hordes sat and buckled. I still use Rossignol SIS (made by Emery and referred to as a 'screen door latch' by PSR years ago.) on soft days. But, in almost 10 years of riding them I've never had an Rossi SIS release on me. And Intecs have been a time-saver year after year.

Mark

With most of our local hills under 300' vertical - I'd be a prime

candidate for step-ins...But for now, choose to use standards over step-ins.

Step-ins kinda scare me.

I saw more than a dozen times last year when someone using step-ins ejected from their rear foot during a turn.

(Sure..it was probably due to packed snow, and they usually broke free during the first or second toe-side turn,

resulting in a low-speed fall..) but it still poses a significant safety concern with me. I can accept when bails or boards break..

but I have a hard time trusting another system (that can possibly malfunction).. just for convince.

I'm looking forward to trying a pair someday - maybe I'll change my mind.

Intec system rules. Once AARP starts courting you, you find that bending over to mess with straps or toe bails sucks.

I use hardboots only for all conditions - just use different boards.

On mountain duties (sweep) often involve moving signs or bamboo to the side of the trail. This can require unclipping the rear foot several times during a run. I suppose a kid could hop to the side of the trail instead of unclipping, but at 61, I'm not into that.

But not for the usual reasons. I am using Dynafit TLT4's as my boots almost exclusively. That does change this upcoming season, but there is no system for step-ins that work using an A/T boot. The old Burton step-in bail system might, but I don't think anyone really had good luck with it. And as old as it is now, I wouldn't trust it. I've used Intec with my TD2's, and Snowpro's Fast sytem. There are times I liked the Fast sytem a bit better,and I did use it on my splitboard with SB123's. The step-in convenience was great, I just like a lighter boot when I am clomping around the backcountry. If someone would build a bail-based step-in that clamped the boot ledges, and not one using a pin, that might make a lotta people happy...or not...I'd use it.

I've been using step-ins for a about 8 years or so. Burton rat traps kind of sucked, and the Burton Carrier's were not that bad. Then went to F2 Intech comp (blue plastic and a bit flexy). Superb.

I've found that not only are they better on and off the lifts, but they can get you out of a whole lot of trouble. Been several times, when I've come to some cliffs that I had to back off of. Never had to bend down to release and step out (I have extenders that come out of the leg zips on my pants). Some of these picadillos would have resulted in having to shift my center of gravity over the fall line on the cliffs to release a standard binding. Also in powder or cascade concrete I can release without sticking my head in the snow or burying myself any deeper. I've also found that when doing a traverse on a steep slope, if I miss the track by a bit, I can release and step up without going over the falls.

I had more releases with standards that I have had with the Intecs.

No step in for me....

- way too stiff, especially for EC when gravity placement aft and stern is important ( on stiff boards its not as much important, but on softer flexes concept it is)

- cannot use my northwave with step in ( got enough spare parts and new shell for the next 20 years)

- too scared by release pin

- saw a few times guys locked in frozen pins unable to release...

etc

However in softboots, i know SIS, and also Shimano ( not made anymore) work good... a lot of hardcore freeriders i know on tankers or ST use the shimano system.. I'm considering getting a pair of flows, but is it step in ? Not sure since you have to reach the back of the binding to lock them.

Nils