Note to New Members ×

Desert Island: What's the one board you would have...

colintkemp

Coiler AM-T 176 with the latest and greatest design. This board is the reason why my twin AM 172's (one glass, one titanal) were sold in May. It carves very well both at the beginning and at the end of a summer day on Palmer at Timberline (i.e., the full range of bulletproof to super-gooey) and it's done well not-carving in crud and deep slush. I'd try softies on it if it were wider!

The only downside is that it is not rock-steady stable at high speeds. But if I could only have one board, this would be it, at least till I try something better :rolleyes:

Prior 177 titanal Fatjack with carbon race plates..

I love this thing for my riding style ,

9/10 on any form of hardpack from ice to chewed up cord, just the right SCR for a nice balance of stablity to maneurverablity, and a nice beefy flex for my chunky self. Cant put my finger on the titanal ride as to why it works so well , it just does even on a stiff deck,

8/10 for off piste/trees/bumps/sludge etc ( I prefer my stiffened ATV for this but only one board right?? )

6/10 for powder ridng ( actually it could be a 8/10 with a little nose reprofile ) low profile WCR nose with a lot of stiffness overall made it a real handfull the first few times I hit around 30 cms in tight trees , had to adjust the riding style a bit and maintain the "A" game 100 % of the time, but it iwas no slouch in powder once I got used to it.

The fatjack became one of my most ridden boards once I picked it up frrom the middle of last season. I call it the "fatjack of all trades".

I have a sneaking suspicion some of the coiler AM boards could dethrone the Fatjack from my top ranked list I just havent had a chance to try them out , not a lot of Coiler action on the west coast.

Not so sure I want to know what all that salt water would do to the edges and titanal.

Dave*

It would just the luck to find such a place a last remaining "No Snowboards Allowed" hell on Earth.

Anyway, last year I would have gone for the Powstick, thinking that I could also fabricate some fins for the tail and catch some breakers on tweener days. But this past season I bought a Prior 178 4WD as a "travel board" for just this purpose, anywhere, anything, and it didn't disappoint. That is without a doubt the board I want in the life raft. I know I could at least boogie board it too.

Al

Well, prevailing conditions are not given, so it's hard to decide...

I guess it would be Tanker 192, Speed 168 wide, or 4WD 174 (don't have it any more, though).

Volkl Cross is promissing too, but I didn't put enough hours on it...

I too am very concerned about the salt water and sand, but given that this is a hypothetical, I guess that makes my concerns only hypothetical. So, I guess I'm not really that concerned after all.

Anyways.

I would have a much better time answering this question if I had a better idea of how my Kessler 185 rides (to date: one day on it with an pre-existing arm injury). Without that data point, however, I would have my Virus titinal Berserker 185 (TD2, Head Strato Pros). It's a sick board that does everything; it's snappy (but damp); it's forgiving (but also unforgiving...); and like any other Virus, it rails.

It does appear that Tankers are the popular choice. Never ridden one.

a do it all board must have a tail for switch riding or it doesen't do it all.

In my current quiver the 173 Identity carbon is the most versitile. I wish it was a 22 wiast instead of 25 & a few cms longer, but anything over 180 is too long to manuover thru tight trees. Its easier to ride a shorter board long than to turn a 190-200 in the woods.

that Pogo sounds like the ticket, I wish I could get this Arbor in a 177, if you only have one, it should be pleasing to look at:1luvu:

post-5508-141842258442_thumb.jpg