Note to New Members ×

With a whimper or a bang?

John E

Bang or Whimper?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Bang or Whimper?

• Bang
    • whimper

Does your season end with a whimper or a bang?

Mine - usually a whimper. The weather gets warmer, more slush, more ice. Other persuits get my attention until I just don't get around to driving up to the slopes.

A skier friend of mine has a tradition of ending with a bang. He skis Vail (a lot). On closing day each spring, he hauls a bottle of champagne up to the top of the mountain & stashes it in the woods. Before the last run, he pops the cork, hands the bottle around for friends to take a slug and bombs the last run. A weekend or 2 later he has switched out to his mountian bike & heads to Moab.

Seems like postings on this site wither away as well.

Do you make note of your last run of the season or do you just stop going?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yah pretty much whimper away...

As the snow gets softer and turns into slush earlier I start to lose interest. Right now I'm still riding fairly good snow until 11:00am ish before it starts to degrade.

I'll just stop going because riding for 2 hours in the morning is pretty much a waste of a trip. I usually end up going for trip because buddies call me and offer to drive up, but by then i'm on softies again.

Last year I'd call it a bang. I don't do anything special, but I take advantage of so much edge hold and I just feel so awesome by the time I get to the bottom. I'm just disappointed that there's so much time between boardin season and golfing season. I gotta move to the mountains.

I'll stretch it out as much as possible....try to get a season closer day inbounds. Then the backcountry calls, and my last day is usually late June/early July, unless I go climb a volcano. Then it could be late July/early August for my birthday ride. Then I gotta wait until the snow falls high, which is late October/early November to ride again....

Usually a whimper. I just can't get motivated to drive two hours there and two hours back when the snow conditions are less than stellar, and walking the dogs for hours in the park is a very pleasant alternative.

We still have good snow at Sunshine up until the end of April, and I'm off to Kimberley for their closing weekend this weekend (25cm yesterday at Kimberley and Fernie), but that might be pretty much it.

Bang: an injury might have ended this season early.

Other than that, one party in Whistler in April and that's that. It's like buying time because the season in Ontario is long over by then. I return to dry and hopefully clean roads and the motorcycle is taken out of storage.

Last year ended with bang, or as oldsnowboards called it, a snap of bone! This year, thankfully, looks to end in a whimper with work slowly taking over all 7 days of the week from our winter of snowboarding everyday we wanted (or still had the strength). We might get a few days more since the riding last into summer here in Oregon, but our season pretty much ends April 4th. It has been a great winter!:biggthump

Season ends with a whimper, goes on for a while with it being to warm to hold snow but not warm enough to defrost the ground. Slowly lossing snow, then get a small snowfall with some cold.

I on the other hand, go out with a BANG! I have already switched to motorcycles in my head. No more interest in boarding at all this season. The only problem is I have about a month and a half until the trails open.:angryfire

I guess I'd have to say almost the whole season was one big tail-between-legs whimper. I cancelled a 2 week (almost free) trip to Idaho because of my son's stroke. Then at my local hill I dislocated my left shoulder TWICE and had to not ski or ride with my company race team so that my soulder would be OK enough for my week at Heavenly (which was the only high spot of the winter). On returning back to Iowa I continued to have trouble with my shoulder. It popped out at work as I sat at my desk and stretched. It popped out as I was watching TV at my GFs. It popped out again one morning when I rolled over in bed. So I've not done much riding at all.

It probably will not stop snowing here until August.Of course,the parent company will close the place on the 6th,and then maybe open a couple more Saturdays.This year has been great and weird and I haven't made enogh money but the snow has been great.The only complaint is that there were tooo many powder days that took the place of too many carving days;but that's not realy a complaint.Today was another bunny hill teaching day,but the FIVE teenage girls,two in the am ,three in the pm were not indicitive of the usually hard demographic they usually represent.They were all great!(even if two of them should just go skiing) Went carving with Dillon between classes.Dillon is 15 and I'm here to tell you he is the future.What a ripper! He and his hardbooting Mom, Sharon will be at OES next year.Five other new hardbooters created at Silver too!

I'm broke, but what a great year!

p.s. BJ,how is your son doing?

Wimper here, 4 days in utah with some sweet pow, then the two last days in wisconsin with a thin layer of granular over irregular refreeze, I felt like a god then like a puddle of mud, now for an 8 month break. Dang! But I had a greeeeaaat season to look back on, totally fantastic!

End of season this weekend.....whimpering pretty loud as I spent more time (and money, right Russ?) to advance this habit this season and had a great time doing so. I'm about ready to mount my boards to living room wall like the guy in the VIRUS daydream clip on the web so I can get through summer

I guess I'd have to say almost the whole season was one big tail-between-legs whimper. I cancelled a 2 week (almost free) trip to Idaho because of my son's stroke. Then at my local hill I dislocated my left shoulder TWICE and had to not ski or ride with my company race team so that my soulder would be OK enough for my week at Heavenly (which was the only high spot of the winter). On returning back to Iowa I continued to have trouble with my shoulder. It popped out at work as I sat at my desk and stretched. It popped out as I was watching TV at my GFs. It popped out again one morning when I rolled over in bed. So I've not done much riding at all.

Time to get that bad boy fixed....

The more you dislocate it, the harder it is for me, your ER doc, to pop it back in.

It hurts for about 10 days post op...at this point (10 months post op) my shoulder twinged after dusting my house today. And my clavicle (site of bone graft for the labrum repair) hurt to have skis rested against it, but the solution was to carry my skis on my left shoulder for that one.

I waxed and tuned edges of my remaining quiver today. I turned in my skis to a professional for the same thing yesterday. My season was pretty much a whimper this year and, considering the last two ended with a bang -broken ankle and dislocated shoulder-that may be a good thing. All in all, pretty frustrating, though...I didn't get out enough this year.

I may take my longboard to the little slope near my house for a few turns this week....that and go skating....

Bang.

Looking forward to getting out with a bunch of carvers this weekend, and then come april first, have a new chef job in a brand new kitchen/ restaurant going into full swing. Good "buzz" about the new place is awesome. Will be like a French Laundry.... cept in Albany, NY, not California. Hopefully I get a few good "corn days" out in the soft boot gear but this weekend will be the last for the Head n' TD2s unless I slap them on the K2 Nemisis and go "surf" the corn and carve slush "drainage" ditches with it ... LOL

Either way, the carve-sticks are going to get put away April 1.

Was a good season despite all the ice, and I had a few "memorable" days/nights this season for sure.

Time to get that bad boy fixed....

The more you dislocate it, the harder it is for me, your ER doc, to pop it back in

Reducing my shoulder has become a Do-It-Yourself thing for me (learned the technique from an old Clint Eastwood movie). I plan on eventually getting some good, strong bungy cords implanted to hold it together. But the surgery will have to wait a bit... my son's medical bills are just shy of $260,000 and still growing.