65 members have voted

1. 1. What's your BASE bevel?

• 0.0 degrees
    • 0.5 degrees
    • 1.0 degrees
    • 1.5 degrees
    • 2.0 degrees
    • More degrees? Do tell...

I have been riding with 1 degree base and side bevels for ~10 years and just had one of my boards done with 1.5 & 2 degree bevels. I've only got a few runs on that board so far, but I am leaning toward doing that to my other boards.

Mostly I was looking to make the board feel more neutral (less catchy / hooky) when riding fast with the base flat... I got what I wanted, but I also feel like it might be a little too neutral. I was surprised how much difference an extra 0.5 degree makes.

So I'm curious, what bevels does everyone else use, and why?

Thanks!

... but I've noticed that my board also "wants to turn" when I'm riding neutral at high speeds, often on flat, green zones. Feels like it wants to grab an edge in the rear and spooks me a bit.

Wonder now if another .5 degree on the base bevel (it's 1.0 now) would solve it. Anyone else know for sure?

I ride one to make it less grabby, but going over that means you have to put it up on edge farther to get it to grab. I've never tried it with less so I don't know any different than 1, but it sure seems like a good all around number. Racers maybe want a little less for faster edge changes. Riders on alot of cat tracks might like a little more for less grabbiness.

I've been riding my Donek FCII at the delivered 0 bevel cuz I am hard-core :angryfire

Actually - my theory is that you can get more life out of the board between grinds, because when the edges get skuffed up enough, I can file to a 0.5deg, then 1deg and get nice edges each time without touching the base. It seems to me that regardless of your bevel, once you've filed the edges higher than the base, you're going to end up with an effective bevel with regards to grabbiness - then you'll need a grind.

I do tend to transition back and forth between edges on flats though - probably because subconsciously I know I'm asking for it.

I have an old rock board (softies) that I like riding in bumps that I call 'the spoon' which must have 5deg or more of free-hand file beveling. Very swooshy and fun in soft snow.

________

Lovely Wendie99

1 base - because with less, I seem to get edge engagement when I didn't intend it.

3 side - more positive edge engagement on those early-morning, springtime frozen groomers.

I too first experienced 3/1 on a PTC tune and loved it. I mostly do my own edge tuning and starting doing my boards as such and while I don't get the same degree opf polish as with PTC, I've gotten pretty good at it if I do say so myself :)

I DO TELL!..

flat base....(less work to maitain if I need a belt hit or stone grind structure) then 3 on the side... Lets face it... its icy out here!! ha..:smashfrea

Anything else feels like it will break loose.. oh and none of that sissy detune the edges.. are you kidding me.. After all that I have done to give me the most effective edge... the hell if im going to dull it... tip to tail razor sharp!...!! if it sticks in turns I'll just pop it out. thats the least of my worries.. edge ice.,,,edge ice...

Thats it...

Well to start I have used 1deg base and 3 deg edge.

I have used this on all of my boards for probably 7 or 8 years on the recommendation of the Starting Gate.

Second to answer Buggs question, in my opinion the answer is yes. I have ridden both tunes and feel that the gate tune is 100% equal to the PTC tune.

True I have never let PTC touch one of my boards but I have never felt the need to jump on the hype and try a different tuner. The gate tuned my boards when I was racing and they always performed top notch.

Not bashing PTC in anyway they do produce a top notch tune arguably one of the best in the country, just saying that there are others out there in the same league with similar credentials.

Alex

1base - 3 side for SL (effective 88 degree angle)

.5 base - 3 side for GS (effective 87.5 degree angle)

A little more edge-to-edge quickness on the SL board due to the base bevel, and the 88 degree angle works fine because the SL board is only on the edge for such a short time. A little more control riding flat on the GS ride, and also a little more edge angle for hold on the hard stuff.

As per PTC's suggestions - I don't really file down my base edges at all between grinds, as that would mean either the bevel increases, or the edge becomes lower than the base, neither of which I want. i just diamond stone the base edges lightly, and use a Ray's Way bevel tool on the side edges...unless there is significant edge damage.

<CENTER><TABLE cellPadding=4 width=600 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD width=350 height=400>tune_angles.gif</TD><TD width=289>This cut-away side view of a snowboard edge shows the base and edge angles. The base edge angle is the angle between the base and the surface of the base edge metal. The side edge angle (measured relative to the vertical) is the angle between the vertical and the surface of the side edge metal. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>

would this image from the carver's almanac do?

Hahahahahaaaaa, heard the same PTC tunes can be done at the Starting gate. Any truth to this??????
I have ridden both tunes and feel that the gate tune is 100% equal to the PTC tune.

True I have never let PTC touch one of my boards but I have never felt the need to jump on the hype and try a different tuner. The gate tuned my boards when I was racing and they always performed top notch.

Not bashing PTC in anyway they do produce a top notch tune arguably one of the best in the country, just saying that there are others out there in the same league with similar credentials.

Alex

Startingate tunes rule!

(really - I haven't tried PTC but the tunes I get at the Gate are equal or better than the race tech guys gave me when I was out in California - and that was when the tune really mattered.)

1/3 (as suggested by Shawn)

had been riding 1/1 for as long as I can remember - I can feel the difference in a more definite edge set on ice.

As per PTC's suggestions - I don't really file down my base edges at all between grinds, as that would mean either the bevel increases, or the edge becomes lower than the base, neither of which I want. i just diamond stone the base edges lightly, and use a Ray's Way bevel tool on the side edges...unless there is significant edge damage.

I definitely agree with this theory. Filing base edges will screw with the 'effective' bevel. If we're haggling over 1/2deg increments - then you can bet your butt that raising the edge with respect to the base via filing will have a very noticeable impact - regardless of bevel angle. That's why if you are really-really-really cheezy and want your boards to last forever, you could start with a 0deg base, then after some time when the edges get chewed up a bit, you could file to a 1/2 get nice clean edges without having to get reground. Repeat @1deg. As long as you do it right, this won't affect the relative height of the edge w/r to the base.... it will be like a fresh tune @that base bevel.

BTW, I always mark my edges with a sharpie before I file so I am sure I'm getting it right - and so I stop when I've gone far enough.

I know... it will ride differently, but in the interests of squeezing every last penny out of your wallet and making the board last forever... it's not a bad bet.

________

Zx14 vs hayabusa