Note to New Members ×

Do you take lessons?

Phil

Do you take lessons?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take lessons?

• I have had no formal hardboot training.
    • I have had a hardboot specific lesson, but have no plans to return.
    • I have had several hardboot specific lessons, but have no plans to return.
    • I have had a hardboot specific lesson and plan to return.
    • I continue to be "in training".

I have separated this from the "Who is your instructor?" thread because I am looking for different info here.

I am looking for those who consider themselves to be "trained" by a professional instructor and/or coach at some level.

Is this something that is ongoing?

How have you benefited (or not) from your instruction or coaching?

If you have done it in the past, but have stopped, why have you stopped?

BTW, I am not looking for names in this thread - I do not want to incriminate anyone.

For those who are interested, there is a similar thread here:

How did you learn to carve?

I took a few softie lessons in middle school, until I realized that I was progressing WAY faster than I could change levels, so I stopped going to the lessons and just started to practice. I got my hardboot setup in high school and beat the ever living piss out of myself for about a week or so while I figured it out. No real hardboot lessons. I will be taking some tele lessons this year, but my hardbooting will continue to be of the lessonless variety.

self-taught in softies, self-taught in hardboots...had a race coach for a while but wouldn't consider that "lessons"

The only time I took a lesson was when I had a credit with the ski school at Okemo a few years ago...It was a "use it or lose it"situation...so I asked for a hardboot lesson.

Instructor showed up in soft boots - bad sign.

he watched me ride, told me to do one or two little things, and that was it.

the things he helped with were minor, but helpful. Looking back, it was a good lesson but I wouldn't spend the money if I had the choice. If you can get hardboot specific instruction, do it. If the instructor shows up in soft boots, walk away and get your money back.

My dad and I got a day of private lessons about 10 years ago (holy crap that seems like a long time ago) and that was on softies. By the end of that day I could make it down just about any hill there. The steeps may not have been as purty but I could easily carve down blues. Then just last year I got some hard boots. I was a little tenative to begin with, but I didn't beat myself up while learning.

I once hired a "carving" instructor at a local resort. He showed up in softies, watched me ride and said "Bro, you really rip it for an old guy". For the next hour, he proceeded to race me to the bottom each run. Gave me a few "tips" on the chairlift and then raced me again. Fun guy. I didn't mind the company but not much of a lesson.

The lesson I was in was 14 years ago and they helped me to avoid bad habits and really break down to the basics of using an edge. I plan on taking a lesson this year, either at Copper or at SES.

For anything that you do, Lessons help you more than they hurt you. a second opinion on your abilities from someone who has experience watching and identifying bad habits will only make you better if you listen and give effort to correcting the areas that were identified.

One caveat - research the instructor. if the instructor blows then you have wasted your money

I've never had a formal lesson of any kind snowboarding, though I had some friends in Eugene when I went to college who always had very helpful advice for me and did what could be called some coaching at Willamette pass.

I sought out an instructor late spring at timberline last year but couldn't find one, (I was having a tough time getting back into the swing last year after two years of not riding).

Most of the best learning I have done has come from watching people I admire and trying to emulate things I saw in their technique/style that I thought were good or made sense.

I think if I had encountered a hardboot-specific instructor at a local resort, I would probably have taken a lesson from them. That said, I've also been pretty wary of instructors in the past, having observed a few lessons in snowboarding that seemed to me to be mostly bad advice (softboot lessons).

Having an instructor that you can go back to on an annual or even more frequent basis is alot like having a personal trainer in a gym.You're not always going to be getting lots of pointers and nonstop feedback after advancing past a certain point,but you will have a mentor and training partner who will guide you and nudge into situations and continued feedback intended to keep your skills and confidence growing. At a place like Vail with all of the money flowing it wasn't hard to develop long term working relationships with clientele(and hey, I never minded big tips for being a fashion accessory either:) ;but here in the Inland Northwest it is a challenge(one I enjoy rising to) to keep the largely budget minded clientele coming back for more.That said,the lessons I have taken myself have been in the form of training clinics or being an instructor in camps run by experienced pros and picking up tips from them.

I'm self taught in softies with advice from more experienced friends. This will be my first season in hard boots. I don't know if there are any instructors in SoCal so I might have to go it alone. Am I setting myself up for a lot of pain transitioning to alpine boarding? :o

I'm a PE teacher / College volleyball coach so I see myself as in Constant training when I ride. I like to approach everyday of riding with little things I want to work on to challenge my riding and bring it to another leve.

I take a lot of information from reading articles here, talking to other carvers and looking at them so I can spend some time thinking about the mouvement mechanics and understand it properly.

Since I'm an instructor, I consider myself to always been "in training." However, that said, not all my training comes from Snowboarders in hard boots. I've learned to tag along with the ski clinics and get what I can out of them. I know it's real hard to find hard boot specific instructors, so if you're looking don't forget to check out Bomber's page on instructors. I think it always helps to try to ride with people better than you. I'm sure most would be willing to help if asked.

STEVE P. - where ya going to be this winter so I can get more lessons????? :)

Kinpa,it's looking like I will be at Lookout Fri,Sat,Sundays and Silver on Tuesdays and Wednesdays as Lookout's closed on those days.That way I can stay home with the kids on Mondays and take them up riding and skiing on Thursdays.I was going to take over the snowboard school and terrain parks at Lookout but negotiations fell through so I will have more fun and less stress just teaching.Supposed to really snow this week!Stay in touch and I'll see ya soon!Steve

I have asked at a few of the "resorts" in my area and my requests are usually met with "ya, I think we got a guy that does that funny kinda boarding". Not really instilling confidence to shell out the bucks for a private.

So if anyone knows a GOOD instructor in Southern Ontario area, please let me know.

I had 3 lessons about 10 yrs ago. I find that a lesson or 2 at the beginning of the season for skiing helped focus and allowed for trying new techniques that may have been developed over the past year. I would like that option for hardbooting as well.

D. :biggthump

one of the saddest realities of finding quality instruction at a resort is that many do not invest in retaining or developing good instructors. there is no incentive for providing outstanding instruction, unless you happen to have a flexible career that pays well enough where you are able to embrace every opportunity to learn and don't have to worry that declining a lesson will leave you unable to put gas in your car. i have caught myself not caring during lessons and honestly it is quite unfortunate for those students. i am not proud of those days.

i do believe that a good instructors motivation must be found in helping others become stoked on the sport. i am just thankful that a majority of my days on snow have provided me with that opportunity.

I plan on taking a lesson this year, either at Copper or at SES.

Sean Cassidy does some great group work at SES. Shelly and big mario really enjoyed learning from him.

You do have one other option. Get your arse over to Loveland and spend some time with inkaholic! big mario and I owe him a lot for drastically improving our riding this and last season. Granted we might not see much of ink' now that he has the SG. We may just have to admire his tracks from the lift as he is busy lapping us.

I am looking for those who consider themselves to be "trained" by a professional instructor and/or coach at some level.

Nothing "formal", just a group of people who enjoy riding together. We are lucky in that one person in the group is a former racer and coach. Everyday we receive "informal" training.

Granted we might not see much of ink' now that he has the SG. We may just have to admire his tracks from the lift as he is busy lapping us.

Maybe, if we put him on your blue custom board we might be able to keep up.

I will definitely be coming over for some turns and lessons

aren't we always "in training"? :biggthump

I'm always surprised at how many riders just settle for their current skill levels because they figure they are having enough fun already.So,no,not everyone is in perpetual training mode.That said,members here seem to be in improvement mode all the time based on what's posted on a daily basis.