The Summertime I'm Bored Superthread attempt

tex1230

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you seriously love curling, Pebu, or are you just being sarcastic? That has to be the most pointless sport ever, although I suppose that you can't really play lawn bowls when the ground is covered in snow, so curling was the next best thing.

In the USA (at least the part where I'm from) we call it Bocce (pronounced Botchee) Ball. That's a pretty fun game too.

Curling definitely falls under the whole "any sport you can play with alcohol in one hand, is not a sport".

Call them what you will, but I just love the leisure sports. Bocce, Curling, Darts, Horseshoes, Beanbags, Ladderball, Pool/Billiards, bowling, ping pong (table tennis to some)... But yes, I really do love curling.

Winter Olympics are admittedly better than summer Olympics, but as the last summer Olympics I saw was in the company of two mad Aussie girls while on holiday in Italy,...

Mmmm, mad Aussie girls... :biggthump

I liked Guinness too.

I lived 6 years in France, so I managed to stop by the Dublin brewery and the Bushmills distillery, made several trips in Belgium but there are too many beers to try them all.

I really like the english/irish pubs ambiance :biggthump

Of course I went snowbording in the French Alps, now I find my local resorts very small

I liked Guinness too.

I lived 6 years in France, so I managed to stop by the Dublin brewery and the Bushmills distillery, made several trips in Belgium but there are too many beers to try them all.

I really like the english/irish pubs ambiance :biggthump

Of course I went snowbording in the French Alps, now I find my local resorts very small

did ya try the Hoegaarden Grand Cru ? :biggthump

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/83/1704

http://shop.belgianshop.com/acatalog/E_J.html#aBB20222

I just wish I lived near a suitable road for some longboarding

you mean to tell me that there is no smooth road through the country that you can't go skate? It's not like Rhode Island has huge mountain roads, the place I skated Sunday only dropped 200 feet, the road went through a state wildlife management area and while not closed or deserted was quiet and the pavement was nice, smooth and clean. I rode my motorcycle from one end of the state to the other (admittedly only 50-60 miles) to skate this hill but guys came down from Boston and up from New Haven (more than an hours drive) to skate with friends and enjoy a good hill. Get a Map and start looking, I use a CT&RI atlas but Michigan is also available to you

beer is good

damn skippy :rolleyes:

'Well you see, Norm, it's like this . . . A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the heard is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first . This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'

In the USA (at least the part where I'm from) we call it Bocce (pronounced Botchee) Ball. That's a pretty fun game too.

Lawn bowls and bocce (or petanque as we call it in New Zealand) are completely different sports. Bocce involves throwing the ball, and lawn bowls involves rolling it, so therefore it's a lot more like curling. Lawn bowls have a left or right bias, so they drift left or right as they roll - all of which supposedly adds to the drama...

I agree bocce is fun. I've spent many hot afternoons in an alcoholic haze on the beach in New Zealand playing petanque. You guys don't play it in a pit though? The petanque we play uses a sand or dirt pit, and when you play it on the beach you just draw the pit in the sand. Here it seems you just play on the grass?

I was watching bike polo the other day. That looks like fun. It would be a heap more fun when you're drunk.

how about....

Stand Up Paddle Soccer ?

great lil write up by my buddy CJ

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=newsitem&id=1442

Another moment was Jeff finding a soccer ball in the river, which quickly turned into a new sport of “standup paddle soccer”. I was very impressed with Jeff and Trip’s paddle passing skills, as well as Trip’s ability to continuously paddle the ball onto his board and kick it to Jeff!

pebu, try some choco milk ;)

That looks awesome. Let's see, love Guinness. Check.

Love Baileys. Check. Love Whiskey. Check.

Love Chocolate milk. Who doesn't?

I will be trying that in the near future.

I agree bocce is fun. I've spent many hot afternoons in an alcoholic haze on the beach in New Zealand playing petanque. You guys don't play it in a pit though?

We play bocce (rock) on the river. Since we don't carry a set of bocce balls ( not that they would survive out there ) we just grab a distinctive rock at whatever camp we are at. I don't know the official rules as I only play on the river, but we had to make some up.

No playing near the firepan. No bocce near or into anyones tent. No further into the river than you can go without getting shorts wet. So up to the knees or a little higher is ok. And absolutely no bocce in the kitchen.

We take horseshoes down the river sometimes too. We do not take games or indulge in sports that you can't drink and play at the same time.

im late coming in on this thread,

so first off

I like waffles

mai thai's are girly drinks

guinness may very well be the sweat of whatever beer god is out there

I cant wait for my renntiger even though theres no snow and its 80 degrees here

chicken + waffles = crazy delicious

speaking of Belgium, I gotta see this movie

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mR-sIf-w1w&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mR-sIf-w1w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oh yeah, I forgot about Foosball.

As for the bocce, we always just played it wherever we were. As far as we were concerned you could throw or roll them, so that's why I assumed they were the same.

Another game I liked that got outlawed was lawn darts... Probably not something that you want to play with TOO much alcohol in you... For the same reason it got outlawed.

Oh, I forgot... This one party I was at we were playin horseshoes and bean bags... Then we got a dozen or so people together and played kickball with a massive ball. It was like one of those 30" diameter balls... Freakin awesome.

i hate UPS and their insane shipping costs

:angryfireI hate UPS for the fact that my new, needed, rear tire arrived in Chelmsford Mass yesterday morning (8am scan) but since it's not due to be delivered to me until tomorrow it will sit for nearly 2 days :angryfire

where to start????

I also like many other beers, and am pleased with the direction the beer discussion went. over the weekend, I stopped by the Harpoon Brewery in Windsor VT (I am as much of a regular there as time permits). This season's 100 barrel series (a limited edition, made up quarterly, 100 Bbl at a time - they give one of their brewers free reign to make a beer) is a red, and as always, it is phenomenal. Hard to find in stores, but possible, I strongly suggest stopping by the brewery.

I have this idea of running a Vermont brewery tour: start in Brattleboro, with McNeils. Move up to windsor for Harpoon (great sandwiches for lunch). for historical perspective, stop by the old catamount brewery in White river Junction, then hop up to the Norwich inn. final stop of the evening is in Lyndonville for trout river (they also have awesome Pizza). The next day start working down the west side of the state. Pub and Brewery in Burlington, then Magic Hat. On to Otter creek. Move a little inland to Long Trail, the finish up at the Maple Rock down by Mt. Snow. Who's in? we rent a van...and a driver.

Bocce - In the Cermak family, we play all terrain Bocce, with a larger target ball. over the deck, over the house, on the driveway, in the brook, in the woods...side hill lies, bending throws, utilizing different teirs in the lawn. all is fair game. remarkably, we've only dented on car with bad throw.

Noah - you should patent that brewery idea.

One thing that is coming out of this "recession" is that the good ole US of A is an attractive travel option with a weak dollar against the Euro, the Yen and most other currencies. So I have been told. One of the CO raft companies thought they had 20 % more furinners.

Couple that with the universal popularity of beer, that someone else would drive the bus. Hopefully a designated driver so you can check the freshness and quality before your beer swilling turistas imbibe.

Don't you have some breweries that are really old? Like older than Coors.

I think you have talked me into it. Where do I sign up?

http://www.ncermakfinebeertours.com or is there going to be another site.

:biggthump

that IS a stellar idea, noah.

The beer bus !

http://www.bustonian.com/

We used to stop in at that brewery i WRJ back when it was still Catamount and you could smell it before you got there, beer cookin and all.

I was at the tasting for the Harpoon 100 barrel series you mentioned

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?cdid=112629&pid=28516

Rusty gave a talk about his history at Harpoon and how he got into brewing and hung out to chat with fellow beer geeks, very chill guy.

do you know about this site ?

http://beeradvocate.com/

based here in Boston, the Alstrom Brothers are putting on a good show next month

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/

and speaking reds, I picked up a 12 pack of this last night,from Maine

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/253/714

ended up cutting it with some Miller High Life, kinda ghetto, I know.:rolleyes:

How about those CELTICS ?:biggthump

Beer is TRUTH !