Note to New Members ×

Am I seeing things?

Gleb

i've been in a -30 with the windchill but thats ridiculous. I think its a glitch or something because these places are only 2-3 hours apart. Whats the coldest temp you guys and gals have ridden in?

edit: oops, forgot the picture.

untitled.jpg

Stowe VT winter of 1988 high of -15 winds 40mph plus...the resort had a policy of no exposed skin period...I would have spent the day in the lodge except that they had 2-3 feet of fresh...one run then defrost, all day long maybe 100 people total on the mountain :1luvu:

I'm not sure what the temperature/wind-chill was but I remember one partiucarly unpleasant day at Mt.Bachelor a long time ago, when it was so friggin windy that my friends and I got blown back UP (!!) the offloading mound at the top of the lift. Apparently, some other friends who were a few chairs behind us saw the lift cable get nailed with a tree-branch or some other flying object, exacerbating the effect the wind was having on the chairs stability, and causing them all to crap their pants. I think they closed down that lift for the day after everyone cleared off it. It was crazy windy (and pretty cold too!)

I'll chime in: -40 before windchill. Mt. Ste Anne, Quebec. New Year's Eve 1989. My entire face was covered and I still got frostbite on my ears. Nice thing though, we pretty much had the mountain to ourselves.

That evening, we entertained ourselves by throwing cups of water in the air to watch it freeze before it hit the ground.

Rob, are you back in town? I want my Coiler back.

with windchill: -58C (-72.4F) . It happened once at Jay Peak and once at Tremblant. Without the wind, it was about -26C ( -14.8F).

I understand that in a normal winter, Tremblant gets around -60C (-76F) -- with the windchill -- once a season. They close the mountain during those types of temps. I've seen it happen in 2000 and 2001. After those years, I didn't pay much attention to it.

'later...

it was so friggin windy that my friends and I got blown back UP (!!) the offloading mound at the top of the lift.

My experience at Jay Peak wasn't far from that. We almost had to skate downhill in order to get below the tree line. :) Once below the treeline, things were great: no winds, nice cold temps and even nicer powder.

I think they closed down that lift for the day after everyone cleared off it. It was crazy windy (and pretty cold too!)

At Jay Peak they had closed the tram and were running the quad at a much slower speed as a result of the strong winds. If you happened to have a gap between your goggles and your helmet, then you experienced a feeling of someone driving pins into your head with all their might.

We were exhausted by the time I got to the top on my first ride up the lift ! We rode down to the lodge and headed into the pizza resto to rest up.

We ended up going out after about 15 minutes and ended up enjoying the rest of the day.

'later...

-70 with the windchill in Whistler, 1988.

Teaching a guy who had waited 2 days for a private and would not be denied.

We go up in the gondola, get out, strap in and go nowhere... The snow was just too cold to slide on.

Standing there, immobile, in a gale force, humid coastal ****fight, we look at each other, shrug and bail.

I live in Alberta, which is always colder than Whister, except for this day.

-68 with windchill at the top of stratton. was riding with PSR when he used to teach at the stratton snowboard school.

one run, then defrost...we had to coat any exposed skin with vaseline to prevent frostbite, but the snow was amazing(when its that cold, it takes the wax off pretty fast though).

-65f with windchill at Big mtn. had to cover my face on the chair to avoid losing it:biggthump chem heaters in boots and gloves and a big one against my belly no problem except for the face thing on the chair. the groom was sublime so it was worth 4 runs or so:freak3:

on a seperate note I have been in the high country elk hunting in -85F with wind chill. hiking out we had to stop in protected areas to vent our clothing to keep from sweating believe it or not:eek: on the open ridges the wind was over 40 mph sustained with gusts up to knock you down strength. If you have the right gear and don't have any problems come up its not a big deal. If you have an unforeseen difficulty arise you can be screwed.

-40 days before the windchill come about once a month here. -45 happen about once or twice a winter. No exposed skin is the number one rule, number two is to make sure you don't overheat. Pit zips rock!

I quite enjoy those days because almost no one else is out so you almost get the lifts to yourself. And, the people that do come out usually are pretty serious and tend not to run into you or each other.

Wax goes away mighty fast on that snow!

you guys are crazy. The vasaline trick i heard is great. Sorry, i forgot to put up the screenshot i had, its up now. It was definitly a glitch. Tuckermans looks inviting.

It was a beautiful day out and i think Loon has the best carving trails in the area. It was like -8 at the top but no wind at all, which was unreal. What a day, my legs are killing me! 5 days of straight riding and 5 more to go.:eplus2: