Note to New Members ×

Yo Lci!!

big mario

I'm still debating if i want to do one last weekend trip this coming weekend. Not sure about how the conditions will hold up. And, honestly, i'm a bit burned out from traveling with all my freaking gear. (first world problems) Next season, or possibly late summer, i'm flying all of my gear in and renting a storage unit in Dumont to keep it there. Should make traveling a lot easier. 

Great day at Luv. As I arrived into the third row at 9am, I knew it was going to be an epic day.  Johnny G (on hard boots) and I took numerous laps off Ptarmagin chair,  and admittedly the snow was best on rider's left of Turtle Creek! The bad news is that the race crew took all day setting up netting on Fire Bowl, like right down the center.  Maybe Shiffrin will be there training as in years' past? Anyway,  it was a great day. When I was walking out the parking lot, I met a guy named Tom who had just gotten there and was headed out with what looked to be a yellow Rossignol.  Johnny G was going to look for him on the hill.  See you hooligans Saturday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dave Winters said:

Hey!  Thinking of a road trip tomorrow.. anybody at Luv Saturday? Or Copper? My Ikon is good at Copper, but I’d love to see y’all! Any discount tickets available at Luvie?

Thanks... 

There should be plenty of 4 packs available on Denver craigslist. 

With a Saturday forecast of sunny skies and nice temps, Hailey I planned on a 2 day LCI weekend.  Traffic was oddly light for a Saturday and we were welcomed in the lodge by Slopestar (riding a pass-along Grocer), Katie, Julia, Wayne and later by HillB and Dave Winters.

A quick run down Mombo to Reload revealed frozen groom, with scattered ice chunks and marbles from the warm temps and overnight freeze. Looking down from Ptarmigan lift, a majority of the center of Fire Bowl and Fire Cut had been fenced off for ski racer practice.  A narrow path at the top, my 3rd turn was less than pleasant, as my toe edge abandoned the frozen tundra and my right knee hit the ice.  No debilitating damage, but half a dozen more laps and the knee said, head to the bottom.  It had loosen up more as we descended, but the temps had quickly turned anything resembling snow to mashed taters at the bottom.  We took a break and were joined inside by the Felice family.  We all went back out after a few minutes, but by then it was all very sloppy.

As Hailey and I were walking to the car, we met up with long, lost LCI'er Denver Steve, who said after a lengthy hiatus, he's now moved back to Denver and will be joining in future LCI shenanigans.  Welcome Back Steve!

Tomorrow has been cancelled for us, due to the sore and elevated knee, but a little rehab and we should be good for next Sunday!

until then...

James

• Like 4

2 weeks left

Been too tired and lazy to post lately.  for a quick recap, it's been pretty stellar riding lately, ,'cept for that one thing.  They have been mowing scrub pretty wide and regularly lately, something I have not seen in the 17 years I've had a pass. It is an awesome feeling to ride it top to bottom clean,  and nonstop, but it sucks when you forget to breathe.  Apparently I need to relearn this basic bodily function as of late.

Enough with the digressions. Small crew out this weekend,  Injuries have taken a toll, with  the dude, scarface, and james sitting this week out due to a myriad of maladies.  3/4 of the original LCI where out, DT, Derek, and myself, Snowboarder Pete spent Easter and Passover in his new Albuquerque home, though he was with us in spirit. Nearly original Ice was out, along with XRH. It was a fast, firm, and short morning, most of us were out by 11, I think we are all feeling pretty beat up by this point on the season, Dennis, I really enjoyed that 185 Rev, I think I'll hold onto it for a bit if you don't mind, Turns right and left rather nicely, you bastard

My body is looking forward to that last day, but my mind, not so much. Anyway, random ramblings done for now, see y'all next sunday.

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 4

Fun day today, out with me, myself and I. Exceptional snow off of roulette, where I spent a majority of my day.  Did ride with a couple of random hardbooters, one who will be joining us next season.  Also rode  the lift with an older east coast skier transplant whom is looking is looking to give race sticks a whirl. From what I saw, he gets the carve, and could pick it up right quick. One left😞.  See y'all tomorrow

• Like 2

Looks like it’s going to be amazing. Unfortunately, Katie and I are getting ready to go out of Country Tuesday. And let’s face it... my hip is pretty much broken. This season is sadly over and no shots at redemption will be happening. I’ll miss you all. Make a couple turns for me. Lift your glasses to next season! 

Edited by slopestar
  • Sad 2

Yamifumi, Dennis, Mario, XRH, Ice and I in attendance. Don joined us for a lap or two before going over to be with his kind. Dusty Bottle and Haley too. 

So how was it? The good, the bad, and the ugly.

The good: The snow. Amazing, in fact for May. Firm and grippy while being fast. I especially liked firebowl and etow. The bottom part of the mountain was more slushy but honestly, really not bad. The DO simply loved these conditions! I've been getting some bootout on softer snow but not on this stuff. It was really great.

The bad: End of season 😪. Even if we all could use the rest it still sucks.

The ugly: Plenty. Crowds, Gapers, Straightliners, etc... I had more close calls today than the last 3 months. Also, variable snow took out Dusty's thumb - ugh. Given the kookiness I am happy there are no more injuries to report!

That is it for me this season. I am going back to the gym to work on my non-existent athletic ability. Will see you kooks October hopefully. Happy summer!

• Like 4

Goodbye Monodude, and the 2018/19 season

For me , this is a rather sad post.

12 years ago, you showed up on our porch, orphaned, with your Warren Miller bonafides, wrapped in your red onesie, and matching helmet with your name on it so you could remember who you were, and have it returned if you lost it. Over time, it became evident that you were the biggest freak amongst a band of freaks, which is why i'm sure Kress sent you over to our merry bunch of misfits. It has been both an honor and a privilege to ride with you, watching you up your game as we upped ours, and your presence at the luv will surely be missed. On a personal level, I would like to thank you again for that bit of work you brought me in on back in the fall of 09, that was a tough time for me, and that helped me on many levels, least of which was monetarily, though that was very helpful. Good luck, and safe travels my friend, hopefully we will cross trenches again in the future.  There is room for you at the Libby a-frame, should you find a way to make it there next February.

It was a good season, I made a serious jump in my carving once I slid on those new kicks, but damn, along with the increased performance, my body really started to feel beat up.  My front hip, back knee, and back ankle are truly looking forward to the coming shift from my sticks to my bikes, which in unto itself opens the door to a whole new potential myriad of aches, cuts, bruises and pain.  Maybe someday I will start acting like the nearly 56 year old that I am, but judging from my past behavior, this scenario seems highly unlikely. C'est le vie.

Compounding the loss of The Dude, over last summer, the one person responsible for the existence of the LCI, left Denver for Albuquerque. We have been missing you Pete, but at the same time we are all glad you have found nirvana in your new home.  We welcome new members Yasu and Johann to the fold.  Y'all have some big boots to fill.  Well in one case small, but metaphorically large boots.

Hopefully we can all resume this nonsense in October, November latest, 'til then have a safe, fun, and productive summer.

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1