Note to New Members ×

Who is the best in carving ???

Guest cybi

Gilmore and close second Steve Fleck. I see those guys slicing on those skinny madds and just scratch my head. Freaking aliens!

BTW, euro carves are a cool trick, but hitting the snow like that reminds me of kissing a curb or hitting an alley wall with a car...sort of interupts the flow.

I find that watching a rider live is much more telling than seeing video. So I am not going to make calls based on video. And, I'm complteley unqualified to judge "overall snowboarding ability" anways.

However, I'd still like to tip my hat to a few riders I've seen in person, whose riding I can only dream of emulating one day:

"Old Snowboards" Bryan: Makes it all look so smooth and so easy, especially on his stiff monster boards. Never seen him crash in countless hours.

Jim Callen: How many turns per second can you do? Makes beautiful GS turns through moguls.

Mark Harris and Don Richter: Masters of balance and understatement. Haul @$$ on SL decks.

Bordy: powerful and versatile, rides switch on plates on a 203 better than I will ever ride anything.

Not to mention several other folks who amazed the crap out of me at SES, whose names I never found out.

I have an Evil sports sticker on my coiler and it makes me the best.

:biggthump

Seriously, I havent ridden with too many other guys but I do know One hardbooter that can do the bumps like a pro skier. Were not talking small bumps either, these are late season ungrooomed all year bumps. I'll call him Dario.

Guitar has six strings, snowboard has only two edges :-). My unswer is - Eric Clapton :-) for me , for you it would be BBKing :-).

he's got a comeback for everything the goofballs and the militants have thrown at him.:biggthump

I got side with the develop your own style opinion. I started snowboarding because I got tired of my dad telling me how to ski. I started alpine boarding because It felt right. get out there and have fun and you will become better than anything you could copy. the EC frontside looks cool but mach five and using up all the groom is way fun. If you get to worried about doing it right it'll become no different than another job. basic rule keep it on the edges and going forward.

Of riders I have actually WITNESSED freeride on the mountain:

On hardboots:

Chris Klug (jaw dropping, big mountain, big speed, big natural airs)

But Zcarver gets it if we eliminate godlike Klug from the mix.

On softboots:

JTSlalom (style and precision to die for)

Hardboot switch:

55 year old me

Bye

Sic

This my eurostyle frontside what do you think ? http://carving.onedge.ru/Video/cybi_laydown.wmv

Welcome Cybi. YOur toe turns looked pretty good. First turn one laid out, smooth, lost lots of speed and looked slightly unstable when standing up. Full body contact with snow can be fun. Can also be for speed control on steeper terrain and it is fun. If you do too much full body on flat runs you lose the rhythm.

Turn two. More aggressive flop to the snow. Almost lost edge towards end of turn right before popping up. The board "wiggles" 2 or 3 times right before you pop.

Reason. (Speculation here): Turn is guided and shaped too much by body contact on snow instead of bend of board. Result: not enough shape to turn and flex of board causing earlier decamber of board without speed control and bigger pressure down fall line causing the pseodo chatter.

Advice: (Since you are asking) Learn to turn various shapes and styles from full layout, to fingers barely skimming, to hip or knee only to nothing touching the snow at all. Then you can dial in the euro turn whenever you want.

Good luck

This kid blew my mind when I saw him coming down the face under our main chair at Shasta. He was warming up for a race and ripped off about 20 tight aggressive carves, porpoising in between, hit the wide-out area, straight lined it and jumped like a ski jumper off a hump in the run and than slammed it sideways to a stop right in front of his buddies on the snowboard team. He now competes on the World Cup and beats both Klug and Jewell on occasion. He's the future of Alpine for the USA as far as I'm concerned. FIS # 1666363,

Paul

The best I've ever seen and probably ever will see,

***** WILL GARROW ******

I'm not sure if this is the correct pronunciation or spelling of his name but with exception to a few pros, NOBODY can hold a flame to this guy.

Hey Buggs and Sic, thank you for the kind words! :biggthump

I would have to give my hat up to Knuckle Head Ronski :smashfrea and Rob Case as great carvers this year. As I didn't ride too well in my worst season ever in 20 years of knowing the sport. :(

I Just discovered a crack on the top sheet of ultra prime and the edges on the FP is shot and thin as hell. My season is done for. As for next season... :eek: