Note to New Members ×

Video of me carving

MillerLight60

44 minutes ago, MillerLight60 said:

Ive been Hard booting since 2014. Started in 6th grade and just graduated high school last year.

Then I would say you have wasted a lot of time man. Go back and start learning a technique of the proper turn in both heel and toe side. Watch this vid: 

You might get a better understanding of how and when to turn and where your body position should be.

Good luck with your dreams!

I would suggest riding with better riders, preferably racers/ex-racers to get the proper input. Actually, I would suggest joining a race program.

With what you are wanting to learn and your goals, I would trust almost no one on this forum to guide you.

(Your free carving looks way different than you in a race course. There's a reason why it differs. When it's almost the same and you are killing it, you probably won't care what anyone on this forum thinks except for your current coach/peers).

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Echo @Odd Job A proper coach and a training program is your best way forward and guidance as to whether you have the ability to go that far. You will also need someone with plenty of money to support you cause proper gear, and cost of training, competition and travel are not cheap.

a lot of helpful info here and throughout these forum pages for learning how to ride/carve and equipment. just gotta look around. start from the top. it's beneficial to be able to carve and hold an edge making consecutive s-turns with softboots while keeping your head on a swivel for surrounding snow sliders before even stepping into hardboots, nevermind a race course. as oddjob states, there's a significant difference between freecarve and race course riding technique/approach/etc. why is that? that's what you need to figure out and it's personal for everyone. although some basic principles apply, start there. keep reading and looking around for those principles and what works for you. eventually, it'll 'click'. practice technique with body position/weighting/etc. and board/equipment manipulation while riding. there's just some work to do and it's never too late to start. you'll get there with wide open trails like in the videos. some nice sections of trail! maybe ride shallower slopes and learn the basics all over or for the first time to better understand what technique is and isn't. sometimes you need to go slower in order to get faster. start over and keep it simple. don't 'train' all the time. make sure you ride for fun too. as you learn technique, you'll realize the bad habits you've developed. i for one realized my own bad habits after 25+ years of riding and now i'm 35+ years riding still working on techniques. good luck.

Hi @MillerLight60, I think the harsh reception is due to the fact that you say you've been hardbooting for 8 years, but, honestly, the video looks like you don't have that much experience.  That's ok, everyone has to start somewhere, and maybe you haven't gotten more than a few days on hardboots each year.  But the disconnect between your years on snow and what we see in the video is to the point that I think people question whether it's even your video.  If you're here to get tips to improve, welcome.  There ARE a number of people who can help you.  There are also some articles you may find helpful here: http://alpinesnowboarder.com/tech-articles/

It is important to ride with someone who is good/great, ride often, take a video and have fun. Also ride in EVERY condition with those good riders. Though riding perfect groomers is the best feeling any carvers can have, try to ride every condition. It will definitely make you much better rider and will enjoy more too. 

I have been riding hardboots for while (joined the forum in 2004) but I improved exponentially in the past 5 years as I am now riding with great riders and ride 50 days a year. Before that, I was only riding max 7 days out of a year with no one else to guide me. So it is fair to say I sucked before that 😂 (although I thought I was cool back then😎 rofl)

Nothing better than analyzing your own riding with a video

• Like 3

Honestly it's less the amount of time he has been riding and more the level of riding AND the amount of time relative to the stated goal of WORLD CUP AND OLYMPICS.  Smacked of "trolling".

The riding and posting is so disconnected from the goals it makes one wonder if he has ever bothered to watch WC riding.  Or understand the landscape for coaching and competition.  It's delusional.

Super happy to help anyone, but this process needs to begin with the proper level setting of one's ego in reality.  

@MillerLight60 so awesome to see younger carvers! Looks like you are having a great time! You look really confident.

Getting to ride with other carvers will really help your riding development. Watching every video on the web of carving will paint pictures for how you want to shape your carving style. 

This forum is a great place to meet other carvers, get tips and make friends. This group of folks are absolutely the finest, most generous and kindest people I know. 

At the www.montuckyclearcut.com event we get the pack of carvers together to share the stoke. We have the whole ski area only open to our group, lots of demo boards and have an amazing group of instructors that put on clinics each day for all abilities.  We also have a former World Cup coach and 2 former World Cup racers that put on race clinics.. Each year I clearly see clinic participants skills greatly improve!  (yes another shameless plug for MCC)

I am super stoked to have new member join the forum, thank you for joining us! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C’mon guys, when I’m the one saying don’t give someone shit you’re probably over the top.

we don’t know how MUCH he rides… eight years could be 20 days for example. 
sure, he needs some instruction or something but so do I? 

Just get a coach and join a race program. There is almost no other way even if you are a hyper natural wonder athlete.

Roger Federer without tennis academy training in his youth *might* still be a tennis player today. But without grand slam wins and barely scraping a living outside the top 10.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Odd Job said:

Just get a coach and join a race program. There is almost no other way even if you are a hyper natural wonder athlete.

Roger Federer without tennis academy training in his youth *might* still be a tennis player today. But without grand slam wins and barely scraping a living outside the top 10.

Actually, absolutely no one even gets to college level tennis, without proper coaching. 

Edited by BlueB

Right... So it's unfair somehow to point out that 19 is old enough to know how to look up some videos on YouTube? Or that a 19 year old these days statistically watches more YouTube than actual TV, but somehow this one never thought to pull up some snowboarding?

Honestly, I get the same thing at the gym all the time.  "Well, I might know how to perform XYZ movement if someone would be willing to show me"... As if it's everyone else's responsibility to inform others how to do something.  Take some responsibility, show some effort and gumption, and do some research yourself prior to asking easy questions.  Don't be intellectually lazy.  

This is actually helpful, if one can get out of their own way to see things properly.  Many, many of the life changing conversations that have occurred in my life were geared towards my own (at the time) shortcomings.  Be mature enough to see the truth in them and one will be better off 100% of the time.

My advice: put some personal effort into your desired outcome by reading / watching everything you can on the subject, inclusive of reading through every old thread from this very forum.  Then ask questions.  At that point, and I truly mean this, you will not be wasting anyone's time and will make many, many friends here (including me).

Edited by Atom Ant

I apologize for the far between and few responses as I am not on a computer most of the week. That being said I have gone to multiple summer camps at Mt.Hood working with Mike Jennings on racing techniques. I have watched almost 20 hours worth of instructional videos on YouTube on carving and riding in general. I even had the opportunity to ride with Robby Burns for a day and raced against him about a week or two before he went to china. I do understand how any confusion may have arose making it appear as though I am a very inexperienced rider do to the poor quality of riding and just sheer lack of content in the videos I posted to the forums. As was pointed out by @bobdea yes I have been riding for 8 years but for the first 3 years I did approximately 10 days a year with no coaching just figuring everything out on my own. This did indeed lead to a lot of bad habits like swinging my back foot when turning instead of using appropriate board weighting. The following 4 years I was in high school but lived almost 2 hours from the hill so still only had the ability to put it 15 to 20 or so days a year. So while yes I have been riding for 8 years I will admit that a lot of those years were wasted and in some areas of my riding hindered progress. I was not attempting to use this forum as a way to show off or had any ill intentions but instead trying to get some alternate feedback. I have watched every video of my own riding frame by frame and it is very easy to get tunnel vision when watching personal content that you end up making excuses to yourself as to why what happened happened. I was only seeking a different point of view. I hope this is able to clear everything up.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1