Note to New Members ×

New member in Michigan - looking to get set up and carving.

Ekuhn

TL;DR version. Looking for advice and gear for old skier/snowboarder looking to get into an alpine set up in the Midwest. 

Hello all, 
Name is Eric I just joined this forum (my friend Harrison pointed me here). I am located in Michigan and my home hill is primarily Schuss Mtn. (and Cannonsburg). 
Been skiing since 1974 (still ski a lot) and snowboarding since 1986 (also still ride a lot). When i see people out in carving set-ups, it looks so fun, and I've been thinking for past few years that a hard boot set up is a thing i need in my life. This is hopefully my year. 

Looking to get a set up for an old rider that wont break the bank - used would be great so i can get a feel for it and learn the basics, before upgrading later. 
Most of my riding will probably be early mornings at Schuss - so hard pack/groomed/icy on a short hill with some decent steepness in places. 

I am a very confident rider (soft boots) and used to instruct out in Breckenridge. When I ride SB I tend to flip between riding switch and regular a lot (something I will have to keep in mind). I rode a friends alpine board a couple times many...many years ago, and kinda sucked at it but still had fun. 

My details...

Born in 1970 ( you do the math 🙂 )

Height 5'10"

Weight 240 (been shedding some pounds and working on doing quite a bit more).

Shoe size - My ski Boots are a 26.5 Dalbello's, SB boots are Ride 27 (I wear between an 8.5 and 9 in US and have kinda wide feet). 

Any advise on size of board, what to look for etc. would be much appreciated. I realize angles etc are very personal but also looking for any tips for a recent convert. 
If you have gear that you are looking to sell that might be a good fit, please let me know. I have been reading through older posts on here and looking a classifieds, but honestly I am still so new to it all not quite sure what to look for. 

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, tips, links to gear etc.

Sorry for the overly long post and admins- if this should be in the "Want to buy" category - please let me know. 
Eric

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. 

Find yourself comfortable boots (UPZ for example), F2 Race ti is the goto bindings and look for a some board.  Depending on how much you're going to spend you might go for a beginner or better setup. 

I'm located in Chicago, but ride in Wisconsin mostly, was considering trip to Boyne (highlands), but that's 5hr away from here. Post in local forums to find someone from Michicago. I bet there're few people riding in midwest

Right now there’s a great deal on bindings offered in this thread: 

it’s an old thread but Alexey has revived it. 

Boots are tricky as there is no real way to try them on. Hopefully as a skier you’ve been through the boot fitting process. A punched out shell and heat moldable liners did the trick for my wide feet in the Deeluxe boots. I’m told UPZ are a better fit for wider feet.  

Welcome!
There are several recent threads where similar questions have been asked and answered, although they may not align completely. They may give you a quick reference as you engage with the group.

In these threads there will be discussion on length of board, materials, side cut radius, stiffness etc.  Reviewing the threads will inform you on what is important for you and being able to ask more specific questions.

Having comfortable boots and a relatively modern board will be a good start.  The for sale section advertises such equipment while the Vintage for sale section is for older equipment.  Buying used on the forum will often allow you to resell in the near future for similar to what you paid as you upgrade equipment.  I think that you will see an increase in the amount of equipment coming up as we get closer to snow time.

• Like 2

Have an alternate entry for you and should shorten your learning curve to carve.

A Coiler BXFR board which can be rode in soft or hard boots but can rail when put on edge.

165 lenght x 26.25 waist built in 2016 for me @ 220 lbs.  

I tried soft boots but love the quick in & out with HB's and step-in bindings on our short hills in Michigan.

My next board after this was narrower for HB's

PM me to discuss further.

image.png

• Like 1

Wow thanks all for the info and those of your that reached out in messages. Seems like i found the right spot for help! 

@Neil Gendzwill Yes - my biggest concern is boots. When  I bought my latest ski boots i went through so many different brands/types before i landed on the Dalebellos, and then had them fit so they are actually more comfortable than some of the shoes I own. Lucky for me my wife's father is a ski boot fitter and should be able to help if i get a boot that is close. 
Will dive into some of the links shared and reach out to a couple of you - @Pat Donnelly 
And one more dumb question... are hole patterns going to matter much if I grab some of the bindings that @Alexey has posted? Are things pretty standardized?

I'll let you all know how i progress. 

No problem with hole patterns, almost all modern alpine boards are compatible with the 4X4 pattern of the F2 bindings.  For that matter unless you've got the Burton track system they will work with your soft boot board as well, and people often will use that as a stepping stone to a full alpine setup.

One thing to consider is whether you want step-ins or regular bindings.  The Intec step-ins work very well, better than any soft boot system ever has or will.  If you are quick lapping a small hill you will really appreciate them. They are a little more expensive in that you need to buy the special heel pieces, which are compatible with Deeluxe or UPZ boots.  Northwave boots are not yet Intec heel compatible.

• Thanks 1

I ride Dalbello Rampage boots when I ski, and UPZ RC10s when I hardboot. Both give me good heel hold down, whereas I found the Deeluxe boots I tried to be too loose in the heel.
My Dalbellos have been fine with the stock liner. The UPZs significantly benefited from an aftermarket liner to solve a problem with skin friction/blistering on my rear boot shin.

Second Neil's comment above about Intec stepin heels. I use them to minimise the stresses on my lower back (I'm in my early 60's). They are a boon for backs that are getting stiffer and older, or if there is a bit extra abdo flesh that makes bending over harder.

• Thanks 1

Good to know about the Raichle connection with Deeluxe- Raichle boots fit me better than anything (kinda wish i still had my Flexons). I know Dalbello has some connection to them as well in manufacturing etc, so may make my boot choice easier as my current ski boots also fit really well. 

@softbootsurfer Already have 🙂  thanks

Hi, I have a pair of UPZ R 10 for sale on this site. I list them as size 8, because that is the size I told him I wanted when I ordered them, because I didn’t want a loose fit.

The liner is stamped 6 1/2, which I assume is 26.5. I also wear 9 US, and they worked fine for me.

You can check them out and let me know. I also have two Donek boards with CATEK bindings that I am selling, but haven’t listed yet, one is 162, the other 158.

• Like 1

Hey Ekuhn,  I have a Coiler Stubby 175 for sale that was built for me in 2017. I am 5'10" and was about 215lbs. at the time it was built. It has a 21.5 waist which is considered wide for an alpine deck, (typically 18-19 cm) so the width allows for slightly relaxed binding angles (50 front 45 rear) . The Coiler "Stubby" is one great carving deck, but also forgiving when it needs to be.  I just turned 73 this past August and recently went thru double knee replacement, so this one has been sitting for a while, but is in excellent shape and comes with a fresh wax and tune.  It's $350.00 + shipping if you're interested. PM me I can forward photos to you.  Welcome to the forum !

• Like 2

All, 
Thanks for all the hints, suggestions and tips. It is super helpful to see the different perspectives. I've got orders in with 3 different members for boots, bindings and a board. Once the boot fit is verified I should be good to (well at least start) in (hopefully) the next month here in the Mitten State.  

Incoming to me in the next week or so... and i didn't break the bank (at least not yet, will see what happens as i get more into it)

Prior 4WD 169

UPZ RC 10

F2 INTEC titanium (step in) 

@Trenchman Thanks- we are up at Crystal a couple times a year usually (I have a kid that is a ski racer and they train and race  there). Ive always liked that hill and would be great to get some in person pointers.

Now bring on the snow! 

• Like 5

UPZ's stock liner is not the best, if you don't like it it's ok

you will need to but new TF liner (I personally prefer wrap over tongue) and do simple heat molding at your local shop

PS

if you have any issues with your feet you can consider custom insoles (definitely not required for ~heathy feet) 

• Like 1

Well, the first (and hardest) part of the puzzle has arrived, now just waiting on board on way from Canada and bindings on way from Spain. 
I was a little nervous about getting boots as I start this whole thing, because as well know finding boots that fit is tough. But after some help from lots of you and a little bit of luck, I’ve got boots that fit really well.  

These UPZ RC10s were a great price and @gpg760 was super helpful in making sure it all went smooth. I just got them, I did a liner test, then shell test and length was good, fit was OK when all put together, but not great (the heel cup in the liners was a bit aggressive for me). With a little adjustment and some time with my father-in-law  boot-fitter, they would have been fine.

But I’m lucky that I’m a skier and have ski boots that I love, so I grabbed my Dalbello liners and put them in and we are in business. I’ve ended up with a bit of a Frankenboot, but I’m ok with it and my feet will be much happier). 

3D95594D-5928-4152-9563-F8EF71833CD7.jpeg

• Like 1

Part 2 has arrived (and yes thats an old Bryan Iguchi pro model hanging on the wall in my office- I've always loved that graphic).  
New to me... Prior 4WD 169cm - a few years old but in really good condition. 
Thanks to @AgassizSkidder for making it happen.
Bindings have made it across the pond, and should be here any day... 

IMG_0472.jpg.b775d320b5805f7772c45a0feb899999.jpg

• Like 2

How was the buying experience with OES?  They have some pretty great prices on bindings.  As far as riding tips go, I am over by Ann Arbor, but ride all over the state, including Bittersweet and C-burg now that my daughter is in Kzoo.    I was an instructor and PSIA muckity-muck for decades, so I would be happy to help as well.  Feel free to PM.