Note to New Members ×

Seeking experienced alpine rider for new binding feedback

jason100

The short story;  If you are an experienced alpine rider and are interested in trying out a different kind of snowboard binding concept that is built for carving, please PM me so we can set a time to discuss.

The slightly longer story;  I love our sport so very much, but out of frustration, because of shin/leg pain from hardboots, I am attempting to zero-in on a different way to attach yourself to a board.

At this point, I have a functional binding to be used with normal softboots on either an alpine board or a typical softboot board that you want to really carve on.  (Think old-school 3 strap bindings from the 80s, but with a bit of modification.)  This CNC machined aluminum and stainless steel version was created as a Proof of Concept.  Meaning that it is not pretty, overbuilt for safety, and can be difficult to get strapped into.  It is, however, fully adjustable and will fit most riders/boots/stances/boards (approx. 19 – 25 cm waist). 

At my age and since my carving skills are maybe a 6 out of 10, I am looking for someone who won’t ride it as gingerly as me, provide some feedback, make some fun turns, etc…  If you are not proficient with hardboots, this thing is not for you.

I am good with meeting at your mountain, depending on where that is.  I live in Chicago so lots of flights….or I can drive to Midwest destinations…..

Thank you all.  Jason

Looks a little bit over built but thats to be expected for a prototype/proof of concept. I'm on the wrong side of the atlantic and a not so soft booter but id defintely give it a try if i had the chance. Might want to reach out to few the more aggressive softboot riders also not just those that are predominantly alpine riders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

Looks a little bit over built but thats to be expected for a prototype/proof of concept. I'm on the wrong side of the atlantic and a not so soft booter but id defintely give it a try if i had the chance. Might want to reach out to few the more aggressive softboot riders also not just those that are predominantly alpine riders.

Thank you SS.  Absolutely, an aggressive soft boot Rider would be a good fit as well.  A week ago was riding it on a 25 cm wide board.  I was maybe at 20° angles with both feet.  It rides very effortlessly.  I guess what I meant in the original post is that I have a few buddies who our tail skidders and I wouldn't want them getting on this thing as an intro to trench digging.  

Any ideas on how to reach out to the aggressive soft boot riders, please let me know.

This is so cool!  Thank you for sharing.  
You see a problem and came up with novel and innovative solution.  I love it.

Lots of ppl are out this week at MCC.  Hope you will get more traction/feedback from the community.
I am just an idiot 2 cents rider so can't help much there but will be very interesting in the life cycle of product development.

Keep us posted on your pogress.  You got a fan here!

On 2/1/2022 at 8:38 AM, pow4ever said:

This is so cool!  Thank you for sharing.  
You see a problem and came up with novel and innovative solution.  I love it.

Lots of ppl are out this week at MCC.  Hope you will get more traction/feedback from the community.
I am just an idiot 2 cents rider so can't help much there but will be very interesting in the life cycle of product development.

Keep us posted on your pogress.  You got a fan here!

thanks for the encouragement !   I have connected with a few guys and have had some really great conversations....I hope to be out there testing again within 4 weeks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think it is overbuilt in its current state, but this is surely not the final draft. I think it’s an interesting proof of concept. It solves the problem that people who want to use soft boots with forward angles have, that the Highback Is no longer doing much for you.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jack M said:

I think it is overbuilt in its current state, but this is surely not the final draft. I think it’s an interesting proof of concept. It solves the problem that people who want to use soft boots with forward angles have, that the Highback Is no longer doing much for you.

I am intrigued.  In soft boots  (size 15), lowest angles i ever run are +45\+30.  I get it, totally. 

My first cautious thought was that maybe I don't want to go in the trees with those things.  Otherwise, I would love to try them.  Good luck

If you're using softboots with so much forward angle that the highbacks no longer work, I'd argue that you should probably just be in hardboots.  But if you insist, wouldn't simply providing a highback that actually rotated enough work?  Once you put in a calf-high metal extension and a third strap, are you really enjoying any of the benefits of a soft boot any more?

On second thought... if you're going to have a 3rd strap, all you need is a baseplate and highback that can handle that extra torque.  Half the reason I went to hardboots is that I kept cracking the baseplate of my Burton Flex 3-strappers.  Then the rest of this binding isn't needed.  Actually several other issues are solved too.  You wouldn't need these softboot-in-name-only leather-clad hardboots like the K2 Thraxxis, Ride Insano, etc. that are just as clunky to walk around in as hardboots.

15 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

If you're using softboots with so much forward angle that the highbacks no longer work, I'd argue that you should probably just be in hardboots.

I agree, and @dhamann has discovered this empirically, the hard way.  But many people seem to be determined to sport the softboot steeze and all the honors, rights, and privileges thereunto appertaining.

15 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

But if you insist, wouldn't simply providing a highback that actually rotated enough work?

And this is the answer if you're not going to have a 3rd strap.  The problem is how to do that.

Also in the picture above, the heel of the boot is nowhere near close enough to the edge of the board.

But where would we be without people like @jason100?

18 minutes ago, Jack M said:

And this is the answer if you're not going to have a 3rd strap.  The problem is how to do that.

Lots of existing bindings let you rotate the highback, but they only let you do it for maybe 5 degrees it seems.  Is it a harder mechanical engineering problem than I think, or is it the case that there's so little demand for it that nobody mainstream bothers?

12 minutes ago, west carven said:

those Japanese carvers are riding at such a high level on regular softboot gear,  is this gadget a band-aid for poor technique, I don't think such a contraption is needed. my 1 cents cause 2 is too much...

My understanding is that many Asian softboot carvers are significantly modifying/fortifying their gear, like with internal plastic battens in the boots, lace-up braces over the liners, and plastic tongues added to bindings.

Many "softboot" carvers use quasi hardboots that only look like softboots, like the K2 Thraxxis, Ride Insano, etc.

A better 3-strap binding would eliminate the need for all that.  You could use a "normal" softboot and tighten/loosen/adjust your bindings as needed for the conditions/activities at hand.

14 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Lots of existing bindings let you rotate the highback, but they only let you do it for maybe 5 degrees it seems.  Is it a harder mechanical engineering problem than I think, or is it the case that there's so little demand for it that nobody mainstream bothers?

Probably both.  I imagine Burton would have done it already if it was easy.  It was their invention in the first place.

• Like 1