Note to New Members ×

Nidecker Spectre - too deep sidecut? (7.9 m Sidecut Radius on 168)

Skahw

I am interested in buying a snowboard for hard charging and carving. 

F2 Eliminator Snowboards seem to be THE big thing. 

While searching for raceboards I came across the Nidecker Spectre 168. The thing that worries me is the deep sidecut of 7.9 m Sidecut Radius. F2 Eliminator boards have around 13m which should be way more stable at high speed. 

But I am not that experienced, does somebody have the knowledge?

Maybe even someone who has ridden the Nidecker Spectre?

Thanks in advance!

They have a different design intent. The eliminator is a bx based design that can be used for bx racing and carving if you can handle it and that's reflected in the sidecut and flex pattern. The nidecker is an all mountain type shape. Apples/orange sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, daveo said:

They have a different design intent. The eliminator is a bx based design that can be used for bx racing and carving if you can handle it and that's reflected in the sidecut and flex pattern. The nidecker is an all mountain type shape. Apples/orange sort of thing.

Dumb questions, but what exactly is "bx racing"? I have heard it before, but cant find a good explanation.

I thought both of them are raceboards, but the nidecker tries to combine it a little bit with all mountain (would be fine for me, when its still stable at high speed)

11 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

@Skahw
you plan to ride in hard boots or soft boots and suitably stiff bindings?

Really really hard soft boots/binding combi.

I have the Salomon malamute US9 and the Rome cleaver in M.

It would be difficult to go any harder for a softboot setup.

(I like to ride with extremly positive angles)

Edited by Skahw

29 minutes ago, Skahw said:

Dumb questions, but what exactly is "bx racing"?

Snowboard cross. The turn radius of a bx board generally reflects the particular snowboard cross race course a competitor will be racing on in a given day. In saying that, the eliminator is a great carving board. I know a 45kg Japanese girl who rides a 158 Carbon (I think) who carves better than most (all but a couple) guys I know.

34 minutes ago, Skahw said:

would be fine for me, when its still stable at high speed)

Hard to know. The board has a tiny sidecut, personally I wouldn't want to ride something with a sidecut that small, but it is personal preference. Don't think high speed carving on a board with a 7.9m radius is possible. I think initiating a high speed carve with that might feel like being in the nasa centrifuge if the board can actually handle the force being applied. But then again, "high speed" is somewhat subjective.

Got a video of you carving down a run? 

I would avoid both. 

The Eliminator is a racing board and would not be fun on anything but a high speed course or wide open run. The Spectre is too narrow and on softboots would probably result in very high angles, toe/heel drag or very possibly both.

What is "extremely positive angles" for you? The Spectre will require at least 30° on the rear boot and more on the front. It might be hard to turn at those angles. I really like Nideckers, their sidecut is dialed. Instead of the Spectre try looking at the Concept, Tracer, or even Area. I rode a friend's Area and really liked it! I used 27°/12° and that was perfect for it.

Another option would be the Alloy DO (which has a lot in common with the Nidecker Ultralight). It's really great and stable without being tough to turn. I run 36°/21° on it (25cm waist) but it's the only board that I have that actually works well with those angles. 

Don't fall in to the trap of really narrow boards unless you go full hardboots. I tried it. It sucks (softboots on narrow board). Also, I would avoid anything over a 10m sidecut unless you know EXACTLY what you want. Those boards are stable but are also incredibly scary to ride since they don't turn at low speeds. 

Finally don't look too hard at sidecut radii. One of the best softboot carving boards I know is the Yes Optimistic and that has a ~6-7m sidecut. It's VERY stable because it's wide and stiff not because of the radius.

12 hours ago, daveo said:

Snowboard cross. The turn radius of a bx board generally reflects the particular snowboard cross race course a competitor will be racing on in a given day. In saying that, the eliminator is a great carving board. I know a 45kg Japanese girl who rides a 158 Carbon (I think) who carves better than most (all but a couple) guys I know.

Ah okay, thats makes sense. Thanks!

Hard to know. The board has a tiny sidecut, personally I wouldn't want to ride something with a sidecut that small, but it is personal preference. Don't think high speed carving on a board with a 7.9m radius is possible. I think initiating a high speed carve with that might feel like being in the nasa centrifuge if the board can actually handle the force being applied. But then again, "high speed" is somewhat subjective.

Yeah, thats exactly the thing that worries me.

Got a video of you carving down a run? 

Sadly I dont have such a video of myself. But that should change next seasons als I am planing to buys a 360 cam. But thats too late... so.

11 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

Also, I would avoid anything over a 10m sidecut unless you know EXACTLY what you want.

I own a Korua Stealth and a Jones flagship 161 (2020, the redesigned softer version). I've hoped that the Flagship is good enough for high speed bombing, but it lacks in effective edge. Therefore I am planning to replace it.

What is "extremely positive angles" for you?

I rode 27°/9° on my Korua Stealth, but I felt like I could even go more positive. The Korua board is rather wide, therefore that would have been contraproductive. 

Concept, Tracer, or even Area

Those boards do not differ that much from my Flagship. The Area has a longer effective edge, but its softer.

Also to my specs:

Im 195cm (6'5) and weight 175lbs (78kg) with US9 boots.

Is F2 the only company that produces relatively affordable raceboards? Or can somebody advise me another brand?

@Skahw Bruce at Coiler can make you a custom one for about 800bucks- that'd be my first choice. Or variants of the F2 Eliminator or variants of the SG Soul from @i-carve.com are also both excellent choices. Apex make exactly what you want, too, but shipping might be prohibitive. I wouldn't consider anything else (unless it is an Oxess or Kessler), but there are other boards that I'm sure other people will suggest.

Actually, why not post a wanted to buy ad here for an Oxess 163/12m BX board? I'm sure someone is looking to get get rid of one.

Your angles are not extremely positive by any means. They're quite reasonable. If they're comfortable, no reason to change. If you want to go higher, you could consider hardboots instead. You start to lose the ability to pressure the edge as you increase the angles further. 

1 hour ago, daveo said:

@Skahw Bruce at Coiler can make you a custom one for about 800bucks- that'd be my first choice. Or variants of the F2 Eliminator or variants of the SG Soul from @i-carve.com are also both excellent choices. Apex make exactly what you want, too, but shipping might be prohibitive. I wouldn't consider anything else (unless it is an Oxess or Kessler), but there are other boards that I'm sure other people will suggest.

Im not a huge fan of custom baords. You don't know how it will ride pre buying and the price tags are a bit painful.

1 hour ago, daveo said:

Actually, why not post a wanted to buy ad here for an Oxess 163/12m BX board? I'm sure someone is looking to get get rid of one.

I might acutally do that. But I had some bad experiences buying used. Also I live in germany. I dont know if that will work out.

Right now I am thinking about buying a Ride Mtn pig 164W or a Ride Berzerker in 165. But I am not 100% happy about that. 

@Skahw - based in Germany I would go with F2. German brand, made in Germany. Well designed boards. If you want to go fast bombing down the groomers choose an Eliminator in 163. Plenty of offers for a nice end of season pricing.

Greetings from Germany ...😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skahw said:

Also to my specs:

Im 195cm (6'5) and weight 175lbs (78kg) with US9 boots.

Is F2 the only company that produces relatively affordable raceboards? Or can somebody advise me another brand?

F2 Eliminator is not just one board - it's a family of boards; very different (sidecut, stiffness, materials)

from my experience the best entry Elim is the simplest AllMountain/Freecarve one [yes, there is such one too] I'd stick with longest and widest which was always 166w all others will be to narrow for you

I used to ride 163 with us8 boots - us9 will require wider one

I cannot find specs for latest 166w - but as I remember sidecut radius was ~11meters which is quite comfortable for nub carver

4 minutes ago, rst said:

Good choice. However not the race version. If you really want to go fast choose a version with larger sidecut like that one ...http://beta.carver.si/snowboards/f2_snowboards/f2_eliminator_wc_tx_carbon_kevlar?limit=100

1 hour ago, wulf said:

Good choice. However not the race version. If you really want to go fast choose a version with larger sidecut like that one ...http://beta.carver.si/snowboards/f2_snowboards/f2_eliminator_wc_tx_carbon_kevlar?limit=100

race bx ones means no relaxed riding)

so for beginner carver I'd say stock F2 Elim 10.2m

for experienced one I'd say B1 from Sean - or hard boots))

Edited by rst

Right now I have these boards on my radar:

- F2 Eliminator WC TX - Carbon/Kevlar* in 163*
(Flex: 7/10, effective edge: 1440mm, sidecut radius: 13,2m, waist width 254mm)
for 349€ 700€

- F2 Eliminator Carbon* in 166W**
(Flex: 9/10, effective edge: 1240mm, sidecut radius: 13,3m, waist width 257mm)
for 499€ 1000€

- Nidecker Spectre in 168
(Flex: 8/10, effective edge: 1375mm, sidecut radius: 7.9m, waist width 242mm)
for 349€ 600€

- Ride Berzerker in 165
(Flex: 7/10***, effective edge: 1253mm, sidecut radius: 6.2 / 8.4 / 5.76, waist width 253mm)
for 325€ 530€

- Ride MTN Pig in 164W
(Flex: 7/10***, effective edge: 1251mm, sidecut radius: 10.2 / 7.7, waist width 268mm)
for 279€ 580€

- Jones Flagship in 167
(Flex: 8/10*, effective edge: 1246mm, sidecut radius: 9.4, waist width 259mm)
for 480€ 650€

- Burton Custom X in 166W
(Flex: 9/10, effective edge: 1295mm, sidecut radius: 8.4, waist width 266mm)
for 399€ 700€

- Korua Bullet Train in 160
(Flex: 9/10, effective edge: 1324mm, sidecut radius: 9.8, waist width 269mm)
for 699€

- SG SOUL*  in 164
(Flex: hard, effective edge: 1440mm, sidecut radius: 10.75, waist width 260mm)
for 679€

* The topsheet look a bit meh. But performance is more important tho.
** Also available in 163 for same price
*** I think the flex order is more like MTN Pig > Jones Flagship = Berzerker 

I would like to keep it unter 500€ tho.

(Im 195cm (6'5) and weight 175lbs (78kg) with US9 boots)

2 hours ago, daveo said:

Which custom boards have your ridden? 

Non, to be honest. I've just heard some bad stuff. And I also like to save some bucks buysing offseason. But there is no "offseason", when its especially amde for you 😄

Edited by Skahw
under 500

1 minute ago, Atom Ant said:

Short answer:  if you have not heard about, let alone know what boardercross racing is... buy the shorter sidecar, more rec orientated board.  

I know what boardercross racing and I have watched it a few times. Just didnt know what bx means. I Read it occasionally, but I have never searched for an answer.