Note to New Members ×

Should I unload these bindings? Vintage or Not?

TheDarkKnight

Hello everyone

A somewhat odd question to field a response from this community, but I am not sure if the technology warrants moving on. I have been riding with TD3 bindings for the last number of years, with TD2 preceding that.  I have put on a pair of standard F2 bindings to try them out. Of course it is unclear if this is the right choice to make. They feel great, but I am not that savvy in the technical fine tuning department to know if the F2 standard bail binding is the latest technology and if it is an improvement over the TD3 etc.  I do notice on the hill that F2 (I think) has a step-in version as well.

To clarify, my riding profeciency is average still. Trying to reach that ozone layer of the blissful carve. I have two sets of TD3 and one set of TD2 plus a bunch of accessory cants, pads, discs, second board kits, from what I see in my arsenal of stock. Go figure! Always backups to backups.

If someone(s) can share their thoughts on the currency of the technology vis a vis TD3, notwithstanding the demise of Bomber, I would greatly appreciate it. I find them to be excellent bindings, but are they the best technology today?  I had Jayce Jay Anderson make me a board about two years ago. Although he included the F2 bindings in the deal, preferring them over Bomber bindings, I waited until now to try them out.

BTW: I haven't visited this site in years. It is a fantastic community here. Definitely the goto site for our passion.

Ohhhh.... This is going to be fun. TDs vs F2. Where is my popcorn.

Before the flames begin I don't think there's anything wrong with your TDs. A lot of people use them ans like them. There are other binding manufacturers each with their pros and cons.  F2s are great too. 

Ultimately it's up to you. If the F2s feel better, use them. If the TDs are better use them. Does it really matter what is newer? Would a newer binding make you a better rider? 

Top level racers seem to mostly prefer F2 bail bindings. There are a few Intec step in users, but only a few.

F2 have limited options available for adjusting lift and canting unless you are prepared to 3D print or otherwise craft your own wedges.

A strength of the TD design is the ability to produce fine adjustment in particular of canting without having to build new parts, and to be able to adjust during a day's riding if you wish to try different settings. TDs are also very strong, but not unbreakable. F2s plastic parts are a little more likely to fail.

Finally the toe bail on F2 stepins fits the nose of UPZ boots better that the TD3 stepins toe bail.

I have stepins versions of both and ride both depending upon circumstances. I also built custom wedges for my F2s to get 6 degree lift.

Edited by SunSurfer

Ay caramba..........the  battle is on again!

Ok, it's simple ........alot of people love Mustangs and alot of people love Camaro       Pick your flavor.......their both great......just depends what works for you and your taste/setup, etc....  kind of like TD's vs F2's   Everybody'd got their favorite!

If your bindings are in good shape, don't worry about being left behind technologically speaking. The current F2 is a barely tweaked version of the Proflex, and is essentially the same design going back to early 2000's, and even then not a huge change from earlier proflex of the late 90's.  The TD3 is just as current.

You might want to switch based on your own preferences, but not because the TD2 or 3 is a poor quality binding or something from Alpine Past.

Edited by Mr.E
I spellz badz.
  • Like 1

A photo of Kurts quiver:

277E2000-5896-4F70-A5FB-B379D4A05DE8.jpe

one of mine:

image.thumb.jpeg.3d6c4bca33a5b72a1e923b0bfd25f2f7.jpeg

As you can see, TD2s and TD3s are alive and well. I like my TD step ins the best , but also have SG race bindings. I’m old and don’t like to bend down or sit down on the hill. Hence the step-ins. Virtually all professional racers use either F2 race or SG race bindings... they have a little more flex and have plastic areas that will break instead of your leg.

For recreational riding, take your pick, and have fun

After Fin sold Bomber I bought a pair of F2 Race Titanium standards to see what all the fuss is.  Could not stand them.  Too flexy, felt like they were about to break, didn't like having such a big lateral "hinge" below my boots.  Sloppy.  Unnerving.  But I have been riding Bombers for over 20 years so that is what I am used to.  I like Bombers for the precision and response.  I believe flex should happen up around the level of your ankle.  Your entire boot should not roll side to side, IMO.  I never liked TD3 Sidewinders for this reason either.  But what do I know, I'm not a World Cup racer.  They almost all use F2's or SG's which are a stiffer version of the F2.  I suspect in most cases this is not for any scientific reason.

That picture of Kurt's quiver brings tears to my eyes... so beautiful...

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the broad range of responses. Loved the photos of quiver heaven. Amazing selection. I admit I was salivating when I saw so many Bomber bindings. lol! Great to hear your feedback.  I must confess my initial query resulted from reading another thread on this site about technology moving forward over the decades, at least in terms of board design and performance. It made me think about asking the members here whether there has been much change in binding development, aside from personal preference of course. I wasn't aware of the lingering debate on one brand versus another. Sorry if I opened up some sensitive wounds. hehe! Really was just a followup from a thread. I thought it best to ask this community for their views, rather than researching on my own what exists currently. This site is so much more effective at discussing these matters.

For myself, I prefer the Bomber bindings. Definitely notice more adjustment capability than the F2. I too noted the limited design of the F2. I agree that bending down to fit my bindings each time is darn inconvenient, especially after enjoying the step-ins for years. As I approach 64 I prefer step-ins. It's all about enjoying the experience, not training for the next World Cup. hehe!

BTW  if Bomber is no longer operating, how do you get parts? Other than from this site.

Thank you all! Much appreciated.

If you stick with the F2s check the lug nuts regularly. (You have to disassemble the bindings to get at them.) They are prone to breakage, especially on the step-in version.

The usually quoted reason for racers not to use step-ins is just the opposite of Jack's preference: They like more lateral flex.

41 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Rode Bomber step-ins since they were invented.  Recent switch to .951 boots meant switching back to standards.  I'm not getting this whole "step-ins are stiffer" thing, at all.  Maybe F2s are different.

Indeed.  More significant difference between the f2 bails and intec.

The design may be timeless because it's efficient and inexpensive and lightweight, but it's got all the newest materials encompassed in it's construction, it can be canted incrementally as well as lifted any degree you want, I'll give you 50$ shipped to 03601

11 hours ago, Jack M said:

Rode Bomber step-ins since they were invented.  Recent switch to .951 boots meant switching back to standards.  I'm not getting this whole "step-ins are stiffer" thing, at all.  Maybe F2s are different.

With bails, the rubber soles of your boot provide lateral flex, the bails itself as well. Gets better when you set them tighter. That is why people tighten them to the point that bails and boots start breaking.

Before Intec existed I rode Burton reactors with Burton race plates, and these were lateral noodles. I replaced the heel bail with a steel pin through the boot which engaged some hooks on the plate, made a dramatic difference to stiffness and to edge hold.

I guess the reason Bombers got popular is the much stiffer bails and thus better lateral stiffness. With Intec, there is no noticeable difference in stiffness between F2's and TD2s. I prefer the TD2 because of the smaller and symmetric board interface, allowing more board flex.