Note to New Members ×

Boot cuff over tightened, shin pains?

Colozeus

So what i've noticed over my last few trips of riding is that i usually end up with a very sore muscle on my front right leg, to the right of my shin bone. I believe it's either the "tibalis anterior" or the extensor, or a combination of both. I have fairly large calves for my size. I usually like the cuff to be really tight. It doesn't actually hurt while carving, but i can slightly notice it on the flats, or walking back to the car. And after every trip, it's really sore. I suspect it's just due to a overly tight cuff leading to weird muscle engagement. That or i'm doing something very very wrong which i think is normal? Just curious if anyone else has run into this type of pain. Only happens on my front right foot. I run stock upz size 27, intuition liner.

lower-leg-mucles_0.jpg

I get this a little, but not enough to concern me.  I think it comes from pressuring the boot cuff  towards the nose of the board on heelside carves.  I'm goofy so that's the front right of my right leg.  Do I presume correctly you are goofy too?  Perhaps you are excessively pressuring the boot cuff in that area on heelsides?

You could also try these:

https://www.tognar.com/the-eliminator-custom-tongue-shims/

I found that with the high-density Intuition liners I don’t need to run the buckles as tight as I had in the past with boot liners that compressed more. And since I switched out the UPZ Shoxter for a Booster strap, I find I only need to tighten the upper buckle on the cuff just enough to close the cuff around my shin, without exerting any more pressure. 

The key with the Booster strap is to have it go around the outside of the front of the liner, but inside the shell; it’s way more effective than running it on the outside of the shell.  You can dial in the responsiveness by how much you tighten up the strap, but even at its tightest it doesn’t compress that muscle on the lateral lower shin. 

Booster straps might be the least expensive thing you can experiment with in this capital-intensive sport, but they might just be the biggest bang for buck. Pick a set up and see how loose (or less tight) you can run the cuff buckles. 

I used to get bad cramps in that muscle, on both legs, when I still rode soft boots, long ago. Only after riding, as you described. I attributed it to lifting the toes up on heel side turn, but was never really sure what was it... 

Muscle sore from overuse?  Or sore from pressure/impact?  That'll change the answer. 

I apparently try to roll my rear foot inwards towards the arch to get more edge pressure in a heelside carve - I know this because the little muscle on the outside of my calf (peroneus longus in the above?) protests quite loudly for the first few days of the season.  It takes a few days to either break the habit or get it used to the motion.  

Tried unbuckling the top 2 buckles before you get on the lift?

I have this habit. Started in athletics, on my walk back during training I used to loosen a velcro strap across the forefoot I had on my sprint spikes because I used to like them done up super tight. Nike Superfly G5.

Now, I still do the same for snowboarding, even though I don't have to with my current set up. It's just a force of habit thing, makes me feel safe!

In saying that... I do need to crank my Palau liners tighter than my Zipfit to get the same foot lockdown. It can result in some pressure in some areas. My new Palaus (worn 1 day...) are way better in this regard, I guess my 120 day old ones were getting a little thin in some places.

Memories...

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by daveo

Might be your foot being twisted (inversion, dorsiflexion) in the boot shell in search of a little more je ne sais quoi in those rare moments when the pirate returns to claim the heelside turn. See around :39-40 in the first of the recent clips.

If/when the front leg goes straight, you can't roll your knee sideways to add/subtract edge angle. So you get a reflexive twitch of the foot instead. Combine that with tension across the muscle, and you'll get some soreness after repeated exposure.

Or not.

Have you watched any of the videos on youtube of how to buckle ski boots?  I didn't realize that you should leave the bottom buckles as loose as possible and leave my top buckles much looser than I used to, leaning more on the power strap to get a firm feel.  All the cramping and shin pain disappeared this year.  

I forgot to mention that my intuitions tend to pack out a bit throughtout the day so i end up progressively tightening things down. I do unbuckle the top and ankle buckles between runs. @Beckmann AG it's possible the occasional pirate carve might be contributing to this, or perhaps an overly tight cuff is causing a pirate leg due to restricted muscle movement?

I'm leaning towards this being case of a overly tight cuff. I'll invest in a power strap and report back. What's the best place to buy one?

Also, i just received a pair of size 28 upz's with lightly used powerwraps. I will try them next season. This will probably change everything again. 

Interesting! I actually found the opposite. Under the tongue removed the shin bang in my RC10. I suspect it was partly due to there simply being more padding or something between my shin and cuff which happened to randomly relieve the pain. 

In saying that, those liners had done in excess of 110 or 120 days. No such problems on my new ones 🙂

• 7 months later...

I broke out my softer 700's to start the season this year and ended up causing a hot spot on my back shin. Kept riding on my 425's and still had the hot spot. Yesterday, I ran the booster strap under the boot tounge and the pain went away. Under seemed counterintuitive, but occasionally I am mistaken.  Yay search function, and hopefully a pain free remainder of my season!

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, big mario said:

I broke out my softer 700's to start the season this year and ended up causing a hot spot on my back shin. Kept riding on my 425's and still had the hot spot. Yesterday, I ran the booster strap under the boot tounge and the pain went away. Under seemed counterintuitive, but occasionally I am mistaken.  Yay search function, and hopefully a pain free remainder of my season!

Mario

I opened this thread since I saw you contributed. I only expected to read “MORE CUFF” from you but you actually had some good stuff to say. Nice job Bigs! 😁

Ink

Edited by inkaholic
  • Thanks 1

Cant or shim away from pain.

Boy do you want one of these, wait till you kneel on this sucker and roll the shins 10 times.

https://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-Roller-Online-Instructional-26-inch/dp/B01K44LAS2/ref=pd_sbs_200_t_1/142-3377044-8101967?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01K44LAS2&pd_rd_r=bb3d99f4-bd89-429b-9689-666650de6fd7&pd_rd_w=LZpyz&pd_rd_wg=woRve&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=B8FW0VT0QNSSH6QQ4R30&refRID=B8FW0VT0QNSSH6QQ4R30

The muscle will relax fast with the roller, roll before riding and after, if the pain continues, cant ot shim away from the pressure.