Note to New Members ×

Outsiders Perspectives

Jack M

On 3/8/2019 at 10:05 PM, daveo said:

I reckon good quality riding is subjective, though.

About as subjective as truing a bicycle wheel.

Rote repetition of proscribed movements without regard for how the board is interacting with the snow is hardly quality.

On a different note, do you have any insight into why the Japanese value 'the carve'? As in, if most everyone else is content with a truck tube, why are they intent on floating a kayak?

3 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

About as subjective as truing a bicycle wheel.

Rote repetition of proscribed movements without regard for how the board is interacting with the snow is hardly quality.

Technical riding prowess is judged differently there. That's a Korean video, by the way, not Japanese.

3 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

On a different note, do you have any insight into why the Japanese value 'the carve'? As in, if most everyone else is content with a truck tube, why are they intent on floating a kayak?

I think there may be a misinterpretation of their mindset here. To them, 'everyone else' is only Japanese people. They don't care about what the rest of the world or what non Japanese are doing, they just want to improve their own skills. With snowboarding, one of those skills is carving. Their Earth is Japan and that makes sense given their history. They are constantly striving for technical improvement. That's why Detroit is Detroit and Toyota is Toyota (Toyota the city in Aichi). 

Edited by daveo

6 hours ago, daveo said:

I think there may be a misinterpretation of their mindset here. To them, 'everyone else' is only Japanese people. They don't care about what the rest of the world or what non Japanese are doing, they just want to improve their own skills. With snowboarding, one of those skills is carving.

Within the context of this topic, 'everyone else' is everyone content to recreate in the higher exertion, lower dynamic world of drifting. Which is to say, learning to shape a turn by way of energy dispersal, rather than energy capture.

The cultural desire to learn the components of a given activity, whether or not they have immediate application, makes sense. 

25 minutes ago, daveo said:

Depends if that subject is a mathematician or a snowboarder. 

10001.2-3-8.1.gif

As seen by the interactive surface, those wheels are objectively true.

Quality riding involves (among other things) 'reading' the surface and responding to irregularity through a variance in input, rather than repeatedly providing the same input to a variable surface and expecting smooth passage.

9 hours ago, st_lupo said:

Snow falls, Winter’s gift.

Show thanks by perfect turn art.

Slarv is man’s weakness.

Good example.

+ one.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2019 at 3:05 AM, daveo said:

I reckon good quality riding is subjective, though. To her, reflecting the accepted visual norm of their riding style probably is the highest quality.

I agree. I'm about as far away from "extreme carving" as I am from softboot riding - those are both perfectly good snowboarding styles, and you can "perfect" either of those or something else... which is "good" is unequivocally subjective. Asking which is "best" is clearly a bad idea.

In the case of that video, I think they'd not be making it like that if they didn't think it was a mighty fine thing. To her, highest quality, no question.

I'm not sure what the point is. To me, it's all subjective: I snowboard the way I snowboard because that's the way I want to do it. I prefer that lass's style to the spinny/trixy stuff I see at resorts, and I'd probably be learning "Korean" style now if those were the choices I had. They are the only choices most people are aware of. Well other than extreme carving, which is laughable if you don't do it, else extremely cool.

Most people I run into are pretty positive and excited when they see my hardboot gear, although, seeing me is usually their first introduction to it. More exposure is probably what's necessary, some people sound like they really want to try it.

I'm thinking many of those folks on those forums are a bit unfamiliar with it all, and the riders who do it. I've found this gear intimidates a small few. Ever get one of those "i bet I could race/carve better than him" sort of comments?

Edited by nuisanceIV

• 2 weeks later...

Blocky script is Korean as is her name. J2EX is a media company so the video may not be geared to our audience. Here’s another clip of her riding in any event: 

That said, the Japanese do take their instruction seriously. This lesson is just what I could squeeze in the frame.  

IMG_1763.thumb.jpg.ed1cfd5054602c4d4372d317ae961964.jpg

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, javajive said:

Blocky script is Korean as is her name.

Really?

41 minutes ago, javajive said:

J2EX is a media company so the video may not be geared to our audience.

I think most people can appreciate an Oxess, a Gray, good riding, a good looking human and a well produced clip.

42 minutes ago, javajive said:

That said, the Japanese do take their instruction seriously. This lesson is just what I could squeeze in the frame.  

Schools in the alpine regions in Japan generally send their students for lessons.

There's some related stuff going on in skiing recently. Some really good Aussie instructors have brought Japanese and Korean style skiing to the worlds attention. I think essentially, they have taken what they liked about it, both aesthetic and technical, and incorporated it into their skiing.  This seems to be a trend in skiing instruction. A move away from a fixed national technical model, to an appreciation of effectiveness, efficiency, and to some degree, aesthetics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, workshop7 said:

I just read this from Jack’s original post.  It’s the funniest thing I’ve seen in some time.

5FF3A933-A692-46CA-8D2E-7AFD5955965D.png

That's funny, I know BGnight. We have had some great days together in the backcountry. He seems to enjoy stirring things up online. Quite a bit different in person and a very good rider!

Dan, (I assume you are dan_pdx) nice work with the reply!

BGnight way above Mono Lake (not that anyone cares, but I still love this photo)

DSC01076.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buell said:

That's funny, I know BGnight. We have had some great days together in the backcountry. He seems to enjoy stirring things up online. Quite a bit different in person and a very good rider!

Dan, (I assume you are dan_pdx) nice work with the reply!

BGnight way above Mono Lake (not that anyone cares, but I still love this photo)

Uh-oh, I've been outed -- guilty as charged 🙂

That is a stellar pic and BGnight looks to be an exceptional rider. You should lure him over to the dark side. After all, hard boots are way better for crampons, right? 😉

• Like 1