Note to New Members ×

Critique my riding

Colozeus

If the stock system has more travel than what you had installed, it must have been a truly vintage version of the DGSS, or one that came with super-stiff springs, not what Drupi usually ships. I went the other way because the DGSS gives me far more travel than stock.

2 hours ago, Aracan said:

If the stock system has more travel than what you had installed, it must have been a truly vintage version of the DGSS, or one that came with super-stiff springs, not what Drupi usually ships. I went the other way because the DGSS gives me far more travel than stock.

i'll post a picture of it when i get home. I actually have a set of the latest dgss springs from last year, i just never installed them. 

More knowledgeable users will certainly chime in, here's my 2 cents: I see all the work being done below the hip, and hardly anything in the torso/shoulder region. This to the point of occasional counterrotation. Did you ski a lot before you took up snowboarding? And do you find steeper hills difficult to carve?

Personally I find a rotational style easier and safer - I look into the turn, move the outward hand into the turn etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tugboater said:

So can anyone post a vid and ask for advice or should I start my own thread? 

JIC, turn down the volume for wind noise. 

I don't mind if people use this thread. Might be a good idea to keep the number of advice threads down by doing so. 

18 hours ago, DRUPI said:

Hi Colozeus

this is my DGSS system, do not drill, no hole in the boots

PLUS VERSION (2).jpg

Yeah, it's definitely not your version. the one i have requires a total of three holes be drilled. two for the plate that separates both springs and one at the bottom. 

21 minutes ago, DRUPI said:

HI Colozeus

the systema you have is called ACSS and it is not mine but my friend Arnaud of the SWOARD team

Ah ok. Makes sense. I actually have a pair of yours that i bought last year but never tried them. Depending on how it goes with the stock upz system, i may or may not try them. 

22 hours ago, Aracan said:

More knowledgeable users will certainly chime in, here's my 2 cents: I see all the work being done below the hip, and hardly anything in the torso/shoulder region. This to the point of occasional counterrotation. Did you ski a lot before you took up snowboarding? And do you find steeper hills difficult to carve?

Personally I find a rotational style easier and safer - I look into the turn, move the outward hand into the turn etc.

I skied for 7 years but that was 25 years ago. I do find steeper stuff a bit more difficult and I have some issues controlling speed. 

21 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Tugboater, I think you need to bend your knees some more and get your shoulders more square to the hill. Particularly on heelside you are breaking at the waist and your shoulders are rotated back too much. Your shoulders should at least be lined up with your toes. 

I'll try that. I think my hesitation is that it's not particularly wide anywhere around here and I'm looking downhill too soon. 

Tugboater, you like livin on the edge!  Posting a video here takes balls, but it will help with some recommendations.  Your toe side looks respectable and your heel side needs some improvement.  I am in the same boat!  you really need to be loose on the heel side to be able to scrub some speed and keep clean turn.  This past week I moved my stance open some more with slight outward cant on the rear binding and I bring both my arms into the center of the turn to help with upper body.  Practice just j-turns on heel side for awhile to feel it.  Good luck

@Jack M

Looking at how much interest the "critique" posts are raising I call for a separate part of forum, maybe pinned in Video section, called video analysis or roast my riding.

Nothing better the constructive criticism to help the sport! would be happy to post a couple vids to hear what you gotta say

regards

L

Edited by slapos
  • Like 4

skied for 7 years but that was 25 years ago.

To be frank, that is the skiing of which I found your video reminiscent (and the skiing with which I was familiar): the calm upper body and the elasticity in the legs. The thing is, that doesn't translate well into carving a snowboard, which becomes more obvious with increased need to control speed. On a board you have much better ways to utilize your torso.

Issues with speed control often stem from trouble with staying in the turn long enough. The classic way to control speed when carving is to carve C shapes. But it does not work if you wash out before the C is finished. Rotation helps with that.

2 hours ago, slapos said:

@Jack M

Looking at how much interest the "critique" posts are raising I call for a separate part of forum, maybe pinned in Video section, called video analysis or roast my riding.

Nothing better the constructive criticism to help the sport! would be happy to post a couple vids to hear what you gotta say

Great idea!  Though, the increased visibility in the main sub-forum is nice.  

• Like 1

On the heels you fall into a countered position at first, but become further countered all the way to completion and edge change. That can be destabilizing. 

You can start the turn with a bit of counter, as that will help you set the new edge, but you’ll need to come back in alignment with your stance as you switch edges. 

Your moment of switch should look identical to your position when you’re standing in balance on flat ground. 

6 hours ago, Colozeus said:

Why don't we just sticky a critique my riding to the main carving forum? And make it part of the rules that you have to ask in that thread for advice? Just a thought. 

Just my opinion... It gets messy, hard to tell what advice is geared towards who, not to mention keeping track of what goals an individual has, or keeping track of the suggestions received. 

• Like 1

These threads are great.  As an IT geek I like ideas for more organization, however Carving Central has always been the place to ask about technique.  Technique discussion is a huge part of what inspired Fin to create BOL with just one forum 20 years ago.  Let's think about it...

On 2/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, Jack M said:

These threads are great.  As an IT geek I like ideas for more organization, however Carving Central has always been the place to ask about technique.  Technique discussion is a huge part of what inspired Fin to create BOL with just one forum 20 years ago.  Let's think about it...

i say we keep in carving central. Maybe just pin it at the top and i can edit the first post with instructions?

Copying some feedback i gave to bruce while riding my AM this weekend at Loveland since it also deals with technique and changes i made. 

"Just wrapped up a weekend at Loveland. Pretty much all 3 days were pow days with the last day (today) being very soft groom. I made the following changes before the trip.

- Upz boots stock spring system re-installed

- Shortened stance width to 18" buy moving the rear binding forward. This resulted in some very odd behavior with the board. It was very squirly and the tail just wanted to break loose constantly. So, i moved both bindings back by 1 set of inserts, problem solved. However, front binding is now the furthest back in can go, on the last set of inserts. 

- Locked my rear boot with more forward lean, on all runs. 

Overall, it performed very well. I would say it's about 80% of the way there to being a full on Pow only board. (comparing this to my donek nomad i have ridden in softboots and pow) However, i feel like the front half of the board could maybe be a little stiffer. Also, this board would probably be best served with a little bit more width. I'm sure this was due to the soft conditions and my lack of experience on pow, but the AM is very turny. And if not careful will really hook into a turn on the soft stuff. This didn't take away from the enjoyment of the board. With the more setback stance it was still a joy to ride in pow and i never really felt like i was going to submarine as long as i kept my speed up. "

On 2/26/2019 at 10:53 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Tugboater, I think you need to bend your knees some more and get your shoulders more square to the hill. Particularly on heelside you are breaking at the waist and your shoulders are rotated back too much. Your shoulders should at least be lined up with your toes. 

Agreed. @Tugboater, after seeing you ride in person yesterday and looking at your video more closely, two simple things that might help get you in a better position on heelside turns: 

1. Try touching your left knee or left boot with your right hand. You absolutely need your right hand in front of you. 

2. Look farther into the turn. WAY UP into the turn. "Look up to hook up"

I posted some more details in the Beast 2019 thread. 

• Like 1

A note i'd like to add about carpet carving. This is something that is probably super obvious to all of you but easily overlooked. Ambient temperature; so i've been carpet carving to try out the different lift and cant settings. With my indoor temps kept at 73, on average, everything get's more flexible. Primarily, your boots and also elastometers on td3's. So when i switched back to my stock springs on my upz, they had a lot of foward flex when tightened up and locked. However, on the slopes, the movement is much more limited. So much so that i'm thinking of installing my set of dgss springs that i never got around to installing. These should give a lot more flex when compared to arnaud's system. So, the moral of the story is that everything will stiffen up in the cold temps. 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:33 AM, Tugboater said:

So can anyone post a vid and ask for advice or should I start my own thread? 

JIC, turn down the volume for wind noise. 

Here is my 2 cents...

Like others said, you are conter-rotating alot, meaning your hips and shoulders are turned in the opposite side of your turn. On heel side your hips and are not in the best position, instead of triyng to sit on the ground, try to sit on your rear boot this way you will be able to face the front of your board get your hand on each side of your board instead of front / back... This way you will be able to extend the turn much longer (to scrub speed on steeps) and be much more stable.

On the Toe side turn, rotate you upper body and shoulders more inside the turn, you are a bit to square and static...

Tugboater - Heelside.jpg

Thierry - Heelside.jpg

Tugboater - Toeside.jpg

• Thanks 1