Note to New Members ×

What wax do you use

Eboot

As a follow up to @daveo‘a What Tuning Gear do you use I am curious what waxes are being used when.  I recently received my Wax Whizard so practices are about to change.

i have looked through the various Topics but there doesn’t seem to be anything wax focused that is relatively recent.  There are various places where waxes are identified but nothing consolidated.

I usually have a softer storage/base prep wax, one temp specific for the entire base, then something harder for the inch or so close to the edge.

Up until this season I used Dominator:

This season I'm trying something different for the sake of trying something different. Briko-Maplus:

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

One Ball Jay (dunno if theyre still around) and a couple of Swix powder. I go by color via snow temperature. The color waxes I had were specified - purple for extremely cold, blue for cold and pink for all round. Sometimes I mixed them. The color waxes were from bulk blocks I got from my racing coach down south. 

On that note, I use a simple 90 degree edge sharpener after it's been waxed. I use a copper brillo and brush it across the board length-wise. Works every time, even racing.

Now that I'm semi-retired (haven't ridden my madd 158 since 2006), I take my skis to get 'em waxed at a local shop. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 4:52 AM, daveo said:

I usually have a softer storage/base prep wax, one temp specific for the entire base, then something harder for the inch or so close to the edge.

Up until this season I used Dominator:

This season I'm trying something different for the sake of trying something different. Briko-Maplus:

Maplus is pretty great!

getting it at a decent price for the version I need has been difficult.

mostly a dominator guy, came from swix, dominator is harder to miss your temp window with. 

Been using dominator momentium paste for quick touch up, pretty much the only paste that works for more than a run 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bobdea said:

Maplus is pretty great!

getting it at a decent price for the version I need has been difficult.

mostly a dominator guy, came from swix, dominator is harder to miss your temp window with. 

I haven't used it yet but I've only heard great things about it.

Which one do you use?

I've noticed a lot of people just using Race Base Soft as a base prep/storage, Med as an all temp and Arctic (Hard..) for the inch close to the edge. When I bought mine Arctic wasn't in stock, but now it is, I'm considering just getting it for the hell of simplicity...

Edited by daveo

The Briko Race base medium, read that it was the shit here or TGR, decided to try it, it’s true, it is. 

Again though, not sure it’s better than the all temp dominator but it’s probably as good. 

I just don’t have the time to use narrow range wax anymore 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Swix Yellow and Swix Red. That's really all I *need* --but rarely do I stop there. There's no better way I know of to kill 5 or 6 hours than to layer on all kinds of exotic stuff and then maybe cork in some powders on a few of my rides and on the family's gear too.. I know it's not practical. I know that adequate wax is cheap and abundant. But I really like the smell of the Swix products. Something about that smell tells my whole body that I'm about to have some fun. I enjoy the ritual of maintaining a board (or nine) and keeping the base waxed. Spending some time on the gear is like a form of meditation. I look at wear patterns and I think about how I was riding. As I tune and wax I think about what kinda riding I'm going to do. Feels good so I do it.

• Thanks 1

My fav is Toko service wax. Universal on the base and the cold wax up to 1 inch from the edges. Any service wax from Swix or whomever is what you want or the lower priced Dominator stuff if you want to pamper your board. 

Anything else is overkill for the recreational rider, especially any wax with fluro in it is a waste of money for the recretional rider and incredibly damaging to the environment. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2018 at 12:11 PM, michael.a said:

My fav is Toko service wax. Universal on the base and the cold wax up to 1 inch from the edges. Any service wax from Swix or whomever is what you want or the lower priced Dominator stuff if you want to pamper your board. 

Anything else is overkill for the recreational rider, especially any wax with fluro in it is a waste of money for the recretional rider and incredibly damaging to the environment. 

Toko always gives me a rash and then it's painful when I walk around.