Note to New Members ×

Best time to sell

JohnE

Some of the stuff I'm selling is carve specific. Some is just snowboard equipment. 

My preference is to create a link to ebay. I like the fact that the price is set by the market instead of me trying to guess what is a fair price. 

The carve specific stuff I may try to sell here. The softboot stuff I may sell on ebay. 

32 minutes ago, Eboot said:

Many members don't like links to ebay so you are better off posting the carve specific stuff here. 

See rule 4, emphasis is mine. It doesn't matter that some complain.  It's expressly allowed by the rules.  I also hate trying to figure out how much something is worth at a given moment, but I hate selling on eBay even more.   I make an educated guess, and if it doesn't sell for weeks on end I'll lower the price.  If it's gone in 20 minutes then I know I gave someone a good deal.  

RULES FOR SELLERS

1. For Sale items must be relevant to snowboarding

2. New or New Old Stock (NOS) items are allowed

3. Please search the Want to Buy forum before posting items for sale

4. Auctions may not be run here.  Link to eBay/etc is OK within reason. 

5. No Raffles unless for a charitable cause - contact us before starting a raffle

6. Bumping your post to the top is allowed within reason - suggest at most once a week

7. Dealer/Vendor sales require a 5% per item sold fee and you must contact us for a one-time agreement of terms

8. Rules of conduct in Carving Central apply

9. If you successfully sell something here, please see this

These rules may be amended as needed if situations arise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnE said:

I understand that some don't like ebay (but I don't know why). I've found that it creates a very fair market. 

I think the general distaste for running auctions here, and by extension on eBay, is that it pits members against each other, and creates the possibility for sore feelings between members.  Truly, the best way to win at eBay is to snipe, which is not exactly friendly.  But, then again there are times when you simply have no idea what something is worth, so a link to eBay is tolerated.  A prolific eBayer would not be welcome to link all their auctions here.

Remember eBay's 10% commission when tempted to list something there, and the fact that buyers can return goods for no reason and force a refund whether you say you allow returns or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I think the general distaste for running auctions here, and by extension on eBay, is that it pits members against each other, and creates the possibility for sore feelings between members.

That, but I find it most annoying when someone joins and their single post is a link to eBay stuff. Or even better, when that single post is trying to sell a Burton Magic Super Custom V-Rocker TBS MTX ABC DEF for $4,000.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveo said:

That, but I find it most annoying when someone joins and their single post is a link to eBay stuff. Or even better, when that single post is trying to sell a Burton Magic Super Custom V-Rocker TBS MTX ABC DEF for $4,000.

Feel free to use the Report Post function on those, I haven't noticed them.

7 hours ago, west carven said:

jack how about removing any links to ebay… this is a classified for alpine snowboarders only...

I hear ya.  Of course nobody wants to see the classifieds fill up with eBay links.  But in nearly 20 years it hasn't happened.  Ebay links have their place.  For now just don't click on them if they upset you.  If it gets out of hand we will revisit.

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

It was roundly ignored, so what’s the harm? Once in a blue moon someone tries to sell freestyle gear here. 

There were multiple. Not just this one. I never said harm, I said annoying, and I stand by that. It's not the whole selling freestyle gear, it's joining up and their single post is selling freestyle gear.

11 hours ago, west carven said:

if your not going sell here don't post here...

jack how about removing any links to ebay…

I couldn't agree more. If you don't know the price in a pinch, why not just make a post asking the price? Or perhaps, do 5 minutes of research first.

I'm currently restoring my old BMX for the purpose of selling and doing exactly this. Everyone on the forum is more than helpful and grateful.

Edited by daveo

How does one establish the value of an 8 year old alpine snowboard? What it was worth 2 years ago may have no bearing on what it is worth today. There is no "blue book" for this gear (that I am aware of). It depends a great deal on who is in the market at the time, the time of year, condition, age, etc, etc. 

If I think that my board is worth $400 and it just sits there week after week, what good does that do anyone? Of course I want to maximize my profit from the sale but that doesn't mean I'm taking advantage of the buyer.  

If people have had bad experiences with ebay, they should be wary of the seller's rating. I have sold a lot of stuff on ebay. I am very protective of my rating. If a buyer thinks that I have overstated the value of an item, I will make it right with them. 

I sold a bike from Colorado to someone in Buenos Aires, Argentina for $1500. The buyer was thrilled about the condition. 

Edited by JohnE
Clarification

35 minutes ago, JohnE said:

How does one establish the value of an 8 year old alpine snowboard? What it was worth 2 years ago may have no bearing on what it is worth today.

If you have an 8 year old board worth anything then you'd probably know about it. If not, it's not difficult to do an interest check.

4 hours ago, JohnE said:

How does one establish the value of an 8 year old alpine snowboard? What it was worth 2 years ago may have no bearing on what it is worth today. There is no "blue book" for this gear (that I am aware of). It depends a great deal on who is in the market at the time, the time of year, condition, age, etc, etc. 

If I think that my board is worth $400 and it just sits there week after week, what good does that do anyone? Of course I want to maximize my profit from the sale but that doesn't mean I'm taking advantage of the buyer.  

If people have had bad experiences with ebay, they should be wary of the seller's rating. I have sold a lot of stuff on ebay. I am very protective of my rating. If a buyer thinks that I have overstated the value of an item, I will make it right with them. 

I sold a bike from Colorado to someone in Buenos Aires, Argentina for $1500. The buyer was thrilled about the condition. 

don't worry about the sentiments of one or a few that have nothing to do with the actual rules governing the site.  the rules are clear, i think.  and since anything resembling an auction is verboten, the onus is on the seller to come up with a price that is as close to the mark as possible.  if it is too high, it'll shake out.

you are correct, btw.  a board is worth what any ONE person will pay for it.  you can only sell it to ONE person anyway, right?  i get so baffled by the lowballer deal seeker who is bested on willingness to pay and perceives it as anything other than a simple outcome of the free market and it's many variables.

like your comment about the bike sale, i have bought boards on ebay and been overjoyed with the outcome.  most recently a Rad Air Tanker, just last year.  perfect condition, $230 shipped and exactly as described.  seller's rating taken into account, etc.   conversely, i have made deals on this site that i ended up being less pleased with.  maybe because i was hasty, did not ask the right questions or because there was a subjective difference in what constitutes "good condition", or whatever.  notice that i did not state that i was burned or ripped off.

9 minutes ago, west carven said:

howdy

4. Auctions may not be run here.  Link to eBay/etc is OK within reason. 

is your ebay search function broken?... if you want to post on ebay… go for it...

don't post here if your if your not selling here...  is that so hard to understand?...

The rules are quite clear, and you saying otherwise doesn't change things. If you don't like the rules, convince Jack otherwise or make your own site with your own rules. eBay links are permitted here, within reason.