Note to New Members ×

Remembrance of Things Past

Beckmann AG

It may be apparent from my post history that I prefer not to write in the first person, or to hold forth expansively over my lengthy accomplishments in this odd sport of alpine snowboarding; traits that often mark me as an outcast in a niche environment.

But enough about me, let me tell you about myself:

Some of you may recall a post I made last spring, where I claimed I was done with riding, and would be selling off my vast collection of obsolete and worthless equipment.

Clearly part of that post was not true, as I still have a lot of outdated hardware that’s actually a lot of fun to ride.

And did I mention I’m killing it out there?

However, some of the sentiment expressed at that time was valid.

After some careful thought (and reckless notices to management that were penned but never sent), I opted to take a sabbatical from institutional instruction this season.

A caesura, if you will, that will most likely continue.

Not an easy thing to do, after Masterminding® the snowboard educational program at Sugarloaf for nearly 3 decades.

Or, if you prefer the metric system, almost one-third of a century; long enough to own and retire three good dogs, or two solid cats.

There comes a time, however, when one simply has to do something else.

->To explore strange new words, to seek out new life from old contrivance, to vainly go where no man really wants to bother.

Essentially, to paraphrase the work of others, and thus claim it as one’s own.

As of today, you’ll notice the Bomberonline forum is gone, and it appears the manufactory is done, as well.

(That's right...)

They say, however, that as one door closes, a bird may fly in the window. Another way of saying that opportunity often arrives in the face of disappointment, and lingers long enough to soil the furniture.

Jack has generously arranged to keep the carving community alive. Fortunate, as we need a place to argue the finer points of leash configuration, discuss optimizing hand locations for the best carving outcome, and puzzle over all things technical without actually having the tenacity to engage in discussion.

So it seems appropriate that today, Easter Sunday, is a symbolic and appropriate time to announce my intention to address some of the failure points on the TD series bindings, and to continue the development of processes and product that will serve the needs of the free-carve crowd, as well as those racer types I’ve been told I don’t like.

Better performance, four one and all, seems a good use of the time afforded me in my retirement.

“Here goes nothing!”

Edited by Beckmann AG
disambiguitizingness
  • Like 9

Carbon fiber or go home... [Insert appropriate whitty emoticon here]

No seriously, can I ask for lighter in the quest for better?

Maybe sheathed Dyneema instead of bails?

Also modular...

WHAT??? You don't take requests?

Keep being you Excaliburt!

Edited by lonbordin
I'm completely supportive... REALLY!

Without wanting to limit the new design in any way, believe it would be advantageous if the piece parts could be adapted to allow retro fit on TD's. A stepped tooth cant ring with integrated 4x4 mount/base plate would be neat.

43 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

I went to church today.  And, by that I mean I was on the slopes in 55deg sunshine.  I am still on the deck of said establishment praying that this is not a joke.

Is that 55 *F or 55* pitch?    

On 4/1/2018 at 11:33 PM, Marc Hall said:

Besides, I found alpinecarving.com and PSR’s site before Bomber so don’t worry. There is hope.

Also. Are the Callens gonna be let back in here?

Can you imagine if either of the them made a post here? No good would come of it, someone would probably say something nasty. That’s why I doubt they would.

Edited by bobdea

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, lonbordin said:

Carbon fiber or go home... [Insert appropriate whitty emoticon here]

No seriously, can I ask for lighter in the quest for better?

Maybe sheathed Dyneema instead of bails?

Also modular...

WHAT??? You don't take requests?

Keep being you Excaliburt!

I think he knows a thing or two about carbon fiber  :biggthump

7 hours ago, Pusbag said:

Make it tougher. Never broke any parts on a catek but many friends have busted a toe bail on td's.

I experienced some pretty severe reliability problems with my OSII Cateks. It was remarkably easy to press dimples into the "trueflex" baseplate, resulting in a binding that would not stay put at your desired angles.

So:

Yes, that was another 4/1 ("four one") creative writing project.

However, everything written in the original post is true. Though I did take liberty with the metric system.

And I should also emphasize that I have been severely killing it this winter.

->To be clear, I do not intend to (re)manufacture TD series bindings. Partly because I'd rather not complicate other plans to revitalize Bomber Industries, and partly because the time I thought I had gained by leaving ski teaching has been consumed by other interesting projects. And partly because of other reasons that aren't worth getting into right now.

Anyhow, thanks for playing.

Writing in the first person will now conclude it's broadcast day.

On 4/1/2018 at 7:17 PM, bobdea said:

Yeah, so you wanna give my spawn some lessons outside of their school? 

Was wondering what you were up to...

BTW, was that you in a pair langs and a prior? 

'Crazy Blue' Langes, filthy red North Face parka, and white Donek with orange graphic. 

If your offspring need some assistance, perhaps something can be arranged. If serious, p-message your requirements etc.