Note to New Members ×

Snowboard (non) development

Lurch

Second edge higher up the side wall . Lets ponder that ! So then you would have the top edge fighting the lower edge and the rider trying to decipher the inputs  from the board and how to respond. Seems to me somewhere in the process new muscles in your body and neurons in your brain would be firing like a machine gun with undesirable results but i would love to try it when you build it . 

7 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

So BOL’ers this is your chance to share that game changing snowboard idea you’ve spent a life time thinking about but never got around to wheeling out of the workshop. To begin this thread I will throw myself at the mercy of the forum with this:

Well, mine Did actually get made, in '77. I took one of the Snurfers we had (This one was pretty beat-upon), and my Dad had a decent woodshop in the cellar. He had brought this pre-preg Fiberglass home from some construction project at the Mill he was building in Ludlow. So, I took that stuff, added two full-length aluminum Angle stock sections down the the sides, then even deeper Angle stock at the tail (where the bevel starts it upwards curve). This, with the Glass as a base material, put the bulk of the Angle metal 'just flush' with the new bottom, and the deeper stuff worked as rear 'fins'. At this point, I decided to add a 3rd fin, a center skeg that sat right where the bevel of the tail starts. That had to get cropped some, and the final shape was rounded off, but acted as a 'pivot point' on hard snow, since it was pretty much between the feet. We kept the carpet staples, but I added (at my Dad's suggestion) bicycle inner-tubes to hold me on when jumping. Quite possibly the only 'tri-fin' Snurfer, certainly the only one with a Base, Bindings and ad-hoc Edges.  

I gave it to Paul Graves in the early 90's as a 'Thank You' for his involvement in leading me into this crazy Sport of snowboarding. I think he even rode it a few times. 

• Like 2

On 1/26/2018 at 3:20 PM, noschoolrider said:

alpinegirl beat me to it on the Hobie (double edge snowboard) and Jib Tech, I mean Lib Tech is trying to bring it back from the dead:

Not my cup of tea...

Hobie - Double Edge Snowboard
Deuce Snowboards - Dual Edge Snowboard (DES)
Lib Tech DUH XC2 BTX - Double Edge Snowboard

1.jpg.fb138fc5692bc21c2fbdcaf364f6759d.jpg

Cross Board (below)

2.png.227646d3dd21ee8f1a55558163fe6212.png

PTC Multi Edge Snowboard / Deuce (below)

3.jpg.7ab445225ef8af840f2794af3ad69141.jpg

That Cross Board is the Snowster reborn, without the insane catamaran hull concept...2 hours to descend Ajax, a brutal beating

the 2 skis,  with a raised skateboard deck, that guy was at Milk around 86 after Bob Klein had fled from no interest, from Europe, he was convinced that Snowboarding would be All Done on his equipment, as he believed it far superior to the Snowboards back then...I took it for two runs and it worked good, did not like the deck being 6'' above the skis...felt like it could be the worst Highside of all time...twice the weight of my stick too... I'd like to see a binding you step into with the highback in front of your foot, with adj. forward flex and 1 strap at the top, as a hybrid 3 strap providing even better lateral strength, it would be nice to have... as for using Fins on the bottom, 68 up at Ashcroft with Horn, trying the lower snowfields on our 9' surfboards, it was the fins that stopped them from working as the rails would start a turn and the Fin would take over with random you are going this way motions, also Burton had 3 Fins on the first Performer Elites which in powder had no effect, but on a catwalk they would just kick your Ass, took them off after day 1 on the groom... 

47 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

Lest we forget what happens when an industrial designer decides to make a snowboard...

Nifty, I wonder how easy it'd be to break?! Seeing how I once wiped out 3 Burton BMC's in the space of two hours (Burton Demo Days @ Stratton), all on the moderate slopes along Sunbowl... I'd give it a go, IF  had proper health Insurance!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Nifty, I wonder how easy it'd be to break?! Seeing how I once wiped out 3 Burton BMC's in the space of two hours (Burton Demo Days @ Stratton), all on the moderate slopes along Sunbowl... I'd give it a go, IF  had proper health Insurance!

You can’t afford health insurance after buying this board. It’s ~ $2000+. 

A great quote from a review:

>>>If Cheetah is to be believed, the F-117 will do everything short of take off and do an Immelman Turn, thanks to a huge honkin' hole that runs down the center of the board. Says Cheetah, "the main purpose of the opening is to reduce the amount of surface which comes in contact with snow. Smaller surface means less drag, which translates into more gliding speed."<<<

I don’t know about the reviewer (a tech gizmo magazine), but the only part of my board that never needs waxing is anything more than 2 inches inboard of the edges.?

The more you look at the board the more you scratch your head.  Try to imagine the flex pattern with those pedestals sitting on top of the board.

Edited by st_lupo

47 minutes ago, st_lupo said:

The more you look at the board the more you scratch your head.  Try to imagine the flex pattern with those pedestals sitting on top of the board.

I'm not sure this is what Jack had in mind regarding an integrated plate mount, but is this not that exactly what this is? Found  some better detailed photos @cheetahultrasports.com

35 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I'm not sure this is what Jack had in mind regarding an integrated plate mount, but is this not that exactly what this is? Found  some better detailed photos @cheetahultrasports.com

My understanding of most plates is that one end has a pivot constraint while the other end is free to slide, allowing the board to freely flex underneath.  Each pedestal on the whip has 6 (apparently) pinned connections to the board so the sections under the pedestals are likely very stiff, whereas that lateral line between the two pedestals is likely much softer. 

Bend it like a letter V.

That Deuce guy posted here a few times, I told him politely that it didn't look like the rider in the video was carving and asked about demo opportunities for a hard booter. He was open to it, but I don't think that anyone from Bomber ever managed to hook up with him. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

That Deuce guy posted here a few times, I told him politely that it didn't look like the rider in the video was carving and asked about demo opportunities for a hard booter. He was open to it, but I don't think that anyone from Bomber ever managed to hook up with him. 

It's funny, to me, because the Swing-Bo from '87 was exactly what he was peddling... And, 'in the Day', there were reports from Italy/Germany/France/Switzerland [in ISM mag.] that there was a cadre of riders, in full-on Moto-Cross Armour, able to hit the Icy Glaciers with relative ease, still "carving" (slarving?) their turns. But, I've been on Swing-Bo's in 'sorels', and they, (without much more than a strap-over-the-arch) could cut a pretty good turn, even on Hardpack! However, I've been on them as a "Bi-Ski", which has a seat for paraplegic riders to sit in, on a set of scissor suspension arms (you cannot use this, on a chairlift, by yourself!), instead of the 'skateboard deck' arrangement. It, too, carves nicely, with just a little shoulder angulation, and perhaps a push at the hip. So, I'm thinking that this 'platform', using 'two edges', is, with an over-leveraged plate (or stiff soft-boot) Binding ends up on ONLY the inside ski-edge. This would cause a whole bunch of issues, including, most likely, over-augering, un-intended nose-flips,hip-slides, and Wheelies into-the-wooded-parts-off-trail.. It might work, yet, with some more careful thinking of angles/vectors, a cam that makes the outer-ski 'bite' at a deeper angle, longer ski-platform, stuff like that... 

Odd that, in this thread, I come back to Paul Graves, twice, in my thoughts... Paul brought the Swing-Bo to the States, then, at Ascutney, talked PSIA into trying it for the'Bi-Ski' concept. I was at that ad-hoc, round-table discussion, which was fascinating to behold...

21 hours ago, Lurch said:

That contraption made the rounds here a while ago.  Not what I had in mind and not what that is.  I'm thinking more like putting the front sliding hinge in a track in the board, and the rear hinge would also be embedded in the board.  Then the plate goes on top of them.

You heard it here first, I expect royalties! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

A thread here on Allflex plate variants and a discussion on Facebook about the mysterious workings of the JJA plate got me thinking (always a hazardous thing).

The Allflex plate limits how far aboard can bend along its' length. Conventional sliding hinge plates don't limit that.

Why not build a sliding hinge plate mechanism with the ability to accurately adjust the amount of slide available?

That would allow predictable tuning of the minimum achievable SCR of the mid section of the board resulting from the designed SCR and the board flex. 

The adjustment would need to be very precise, accurate to fractions of a millimetre. The interaxle distance is another variable, but once that was fixed then tuning could begin. Measuring the achievable chord depth as the board flexed would probably be the easiest tuning measure to determine the resulting SCR. 

Edited by SunSurfer
Detail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SunSurfer said:

Why not build a sliding hinge plate mechanism with the ability to accurately adjust the amount of slide available?

B(oard)TS for plates.... very interesting! I've not read the thread on FB re that 'spring plate" - if you have time could you give a quick run down please @SunSurfer?