Note to New Members ×

Snowboard (non) development

Lurch

19 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

I was going to invoke the Inca...But, yeah, that'll sink just as well... Try on a Winterstick, circa '76...

Anyone that has skied the deep and Steep...knows why I am bringing this up...this float on the surface technique is missing that ability...I assume you skied before you put on the Stick...I am not aware of anyone including winter stick that has pursued the ability to truly Submarine on a snowboard...Float is Great Ok but once you disappear, you will never go back

Edited by softbootsurfer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There’s a lot of development going on in softboot gear, some of its good and some not so much.

ive only been on a couple of them, the ride timeless for this year is interesting, also has the same issues that the old titanal topsheet boards had. Mine blew up on the first day out. The thing was really neat from a performance perspective. It did everything pretty well. Great concept, Chinese metal construction yielded the expected delaminated results. Key point, insane float for a 167 but yet it still carved as well as my tanker 177.... just a little more touchy/twitchy on edge. 

The bataleon boards some folks that rip really like them. The geometry on those make my head hurt, good luck getting those a base grind. Apperently they work though. 

Furbergs are different, like that concept too. Want to ride one. 

IMO, in alpine it’s the parallel format that’s running the boards and plates into a dead end. That being said, I’m hoping this softboot carve thing brings some folks over to alpine, we double our numbers and non-race gear will get better fast. 

Virus Frank went on a rant about the lack of innovation on Facebook the other day but I can’t find it now. 

He made a couple good points. 

Great points... I also think that we should embrace and encourage it. I don’t know whether we’ll see this happen again, so let’s feed it. 

Who knows, it could be a turning point, kind of when the wannabe street skaters who kept falling and couldn’t Ollie their way out of a paper bag, realized that they could get on a Longboard, make turns instead, and have a blast!

Now young jibbers are discovering the joy of carving a turn, and companies, like Korua, are making it ‘cool to carve’. 

However, as noted, some truly funky hybrids will appear, as people always seem to want to reinvent the wheel! 

Edited by Emdee406
Edit

On 1/29/2018 at 2:28 PM, Lurch said:

I'm not sure this is what Jack had in mind regarding an integrated plate mount, but is this not that exactly what this is? Found  some better detailed photos @cheetahultrasports.com

The designer actually came to one of our airline races, and asked me to try it. 

The problem is, he’s trying to redesign not only the board, but snowboard technique! 

He told me I’d have to ride with less effort, and to not TRY to put it on edge  

It felt tippy and unstable... I couldn’t wait to get off it! 

I also told him that I’m all honesty that he had two huge things going against him (and about 10 smaller ones), 

1) The price was way too high, especially considering it had an extruded base, and

2) Telling anyone who rode it, that they’d have to relearn their technique, just to be able to ride it, was not going to endear it to the masses! 

Edited by Emdee406
Omission

On 22/03/2018 at 4:45 PM, bobdea said:

The bataleon boards some folks that rip really like them. The geometry on those make my head hurt, good luck getting those a base grind. Apperently they work though. 

The TBT tech has gotten better over the years i used to have a bataleon airobic as a beater/rock board for when conditions were poor it was incredibily unstable and vague as to how far you would have to pitch the board before the edge engaged. As a result i jokingly reffered to TBT as totaly ballocks technology its now with a friend after i gave him a loan of then refused to take it back as otherwise i would set the thing on fire.  Flash forward 4 plus years in development  TBT is far far better when i demo'd the carver it wasn't even noticeable in how the board went from edge to edge and was far more stable.

Edited by scottishsurfer
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 7:43 PM, piusthedrcarve said:

From Tetongravity. 

173469A7-C86C-4605-BB18-1DA1FA4C404D.thumb.png.4fab0399ea819e9be0009bc8bf06e66c.png

There was a Swiss ? guy at Milk back in 88/89 with a similar device...2 short skis with a raised platform that turned on a dime and felt plain scary over 15 mph...he was adamant that it would replace all snowboards within a few years...I only tried it once, but that was enough