Note to New Members ×

What's your perspective/objective?

Jack M

What is your primary objective on the hill or for visiting this site?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What is your primary objective on the hill or for visiting this site?

• Maximum carving performance in hardboots on alpine/race boards, on groomers or race courses
    • Casual/soulful carving in hardboots on mostly groomers, occasionally riding some natural terrain in hardboots
    • All mountain hardbooting, more natural terrain and powder than groomers
    • Aggressive softboot carving - Knapton style, BX, Banked Slalom, amateur GS/SL in softboots
    • Casual/soulful carving in softboots on mostly groomers
    • All mountain softbooting, more natural terrain and powder than groomers, occasional carving in softboots
    • I just came here to talk snowboarding in general with a more mature group of people
    • Other, please explain below

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/30/2018 at 11:58 PM

7 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

A bit surprised by Neil and ErikJ, since you both seem to ride like #1!

Well, that's what my avatar looks like, but I only really learned to ride in that style after hooking up with Riceball and Corey at NES, and also that one time I went to SES.  I enjoy the camaraderie of these carving events and I'm happy to have that style of turning in my toolbox, but after a couple of days of groomers only I am bored stiff.  If I'm riding solo you are most likely to find me in the bumps or powder if any is available. 

I wish I had some good footage of me in the bumps but I never seem to be able to talk anyone who knows what they're doing with a camera onto the runs I like...

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

I believe that the snow conditions are going to dictate how I am going to ride on any given day.  A free exchange of advice on eguipment or technique has helped with questions I might want to ask, that are usually answered by guys that are like minded, and have similar interests.

I voted for three but am also enjoy number 2.it all depends on what the snow god's want me to enjoy that day.

I also come to this site to deal with my snowboard addiction. During dry spells of snowboarding I don't know what to do with myself.

Edited by snowjob
Should have read the whole question
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I wish I had some good footage of me in the bumps but I never seem to be able to talk anyone who knows what they're doing with a camera onto the runs I like...

No way could I follow/keep up, but I'd definitely ride ahead and film you coming by. Are there bumps at Nakiska? LOL! 

I came here to learn how to carve. I keep coming to learn how to carve better because the sensation of carving is something I am addicted to.

Part of my brain loves analysing, understanding, and experimenting with things, not accepting the current state of knowledge, and this applies at both work and play. 

I really appreciate the people here.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

On 1/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jack Michaud said:

A bit surprised by Neil and ErikJ, since you both seem to ride like #1!  Never seen Neil in person, but ErikJ is one of my favorite carvers to watch.  Shred nicknamed him "Boing!" at an ECES. :biggthump

Same here Jack, @Erik J do you not "Boing" anymore? Do you need a blue pill to help you get your "Boing" back on?  Are you getting old?

I voted #1. If I am not on HB's I am on skis when conditions aren't optimal for HB riding and that is only 10-20% of the time.  I have over the last few years really enjoyed learning to ski again and really like carving 2 planks. 

Edited by GeoffV
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Same here Jack, @Erik J do you not "Boing" anymore? Do you need a blue pill to help you get your "Boing" back on?  Are you getting old?

LOL, still boinginging. But I'll take these blue pills you speak of anyway. 

On 1/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, Jack Michaud said:

A bit surprised by Neil and ErikJ, since you both seem to ride like #1!  Never seen Neil in person, but ErikJ is one of my favorite carvers to watch.  Shred nicknamed him "Boing!" at an ECES. :biggthump

I like to ride the whole mountain but I am unwilling to sacrifice ANY carving performance as it's just so damn fun. 

• Like 1

My primary objective on the hill differs from my objective on this site. On the hill, the objective is situational, whether that's due to conditions, racing in beer-league, or teaching my son to snowboard. #4 & #6 are my on-hill objective 90% of the time.

I voted #1 since my objective on this site is unambiguous - making perfect turns on groomers. As I improve, I dip my toes into #2 and find natural terrain on hard boots is not so bad.

• Like 1

I put #2, but I am neither 1 or 2, but both. I only ride hardboots on groomers. If there is fresh snow I either softboot or ski. I am a total fair weather carver, if the light is flat? I ski. Busy? ski or softboot..... I just ride, I am not really out to improve much anymore, just have fun. I visit this site for entertainment and too sell stuff. I am not good at putting instruction into words and I am not good at putting words into the hill. So I really don't contribute.

That's my perspective.

• Like 2

On 10/01/2018 at 3:25 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

We had some fun in the bumps! I still prefer groomers, but I can understand the desire to get better.

Neil in the bumps:

https://youtu.be/-_Lz0fueaJU

https://youtu.be/CkweEs4ovCI

https://youtu.be/SR3jlpeigrI

Carl from Exegi snowboards in the bumps: (smooth, even with a big alpine board!) 

https://youtu.be/JfYuFQ-OSVA

https://youtu.be/O2SyomQwPMg

And Neil caught me trying not to fall:

https://youtu.be/yer5FUpWvq4

• Like 2

My primary objective on the hill is to experience many big, face-stretching grins.  Or even just a few...!

Besides differing approaches to carving down the mountain, some of the emotional interference in discussions may be due to differing ways people tick.  And then some of us are just stubborn old farts.  :-)

"Cool?"  Yes, great thread -- thanks!

We're all where we are, in part due to our circumstances. Some were born on the mountain. I'm still peeved that I lived from 1983 to '90 in California and never really heard of snowboarding. I never saw myself fitting into the skiing crowd and stayed away from the mountains. Then I married my German skier wife... And wasted 10 years skiing before -- at age 40 -- someone convinced me to try snowboarding. I didn't ski again from that day forward (and my wife has also only boarded for the past 10 years or so).

For me, despite(?) being a softbooter, snowboarding is about carving -- so that's why the site attracted me. Comments on the forum and resources like your "The Norm" papers were a great help. My "vote" is #4: "Aggressive softboot carving", but minus (was that a minus sign or a dash?) Knapton style... as late risers, we've never seen groomers like on his vids!  "Amateur GS" fits my preference for large radii.  When slopes are crowded, I grab a 182 or 192 Tanker and try to change my mode to #5, casual/soulful carving...

Cheers,
David

• Like 1