Note to New Members ×

How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?

slopetool

7 minutes ago, Mig said:

Where the hell did I claim they were better? And I stick to my statement. There are more positive posts and discussions about sofboots on here in the last few months than there used to be, and they are not moved to a generic sub-forum anymore.

Downshift speed racer, I never said you did. I am simply explaining why some things may have happened in the past.

• LOL 1

I think that the debate about whether  softboots / hardboots are "better" isn't really important. What is important is whether you are having fun. For myself - I will never be as good as the great carvers who develop their skills on ice. But if I can have fun carving in forgiving conditions in softboots, that works for me. Also, this forum is hosted by a company that makes hardboot bindings so understandably, discussions of softboot carving wasn't the point. 

• Like 1

To me, the conversation is less about equipment and more about skill. Hardboot equipment should be more capable, but many here at YentaOnline, and many hardbooters out there on the hill don't have the skill to even remotely keep up with their equipment potential.  From personal experience, 9 out 10 times hardbooters are too worried about 'getting low', or crafting the perfecting line, that they truly haven't developed actual all-mountain riding skills to tackle more advance terrain, steeper lines, chopped conditions.  Ripping turns on blue square corduroy is for quakers. Fun? Sure, but a lot of the yenta's here seem to measure their social status by it. Why? Start ripping turns (in control), with style, in ice, getting low, at SPEED down steeper trails -- then you can start claiming, then you have skill, then you're a snowboarder!  By no means is this a bash on beginner riders, or riders on the up-and-up.... it's more of a bash of the riders here that have been riding since the 80-90's but can't make a turn for shit on steeps, ice, in race courses, in chopped.

The racer style HB'ers can hang on steeps, while the pure-carve yenta's out there tend to literally sideslip down the steeps. Are you not embarrassed by this? Are you the very same guys walking your MTB's down DH trails? :) Clearly if you can rip turns on intermediate runs, but can't on steeps, are you not selling yourself short? The pursuit of the perfect carve should not end on blue runs, underneath tourist-laden chairlifts, or in goofy self-promoting 'on the chairlift' conversations.  By no means am I suggesting that HB'ers should be blasting the Palisades at Squaw on their equipment, but by all means you should be able to rip impressive turns down runs steeper than these neutered trails that HB'ers tend to gravitate towards. If you can't -- It's not the equipment, it's you. 

Edited by SolRosenburg
  • Like 2

To get back to OP's original question, "How you guys feeling about new soft boot carving phenomenon?"...

I think it's great and it's growing.  Heck, F2 has the whole thing covered in their latest catalog, down to the socks (see below).  When an old and slow moving company like F2 is moving into the space you know there has to be some popularity backing that decision.

I don't care really what people ride or exactly the style one rides... I care that your on the edge, finding flow, and giving the stoke away... :biggthump

Mahalo.

image.thumb.png.c3e510059ef042a0aa8c6e41ccbbc598.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SolRosenburg said:

To me, the conversation is less about equipment and more about skill. Hardboot equipment should be more capable, but many here at YentaOnline, and many hardbooters out there on the hill don't have the skill to even remotely keep up with their equipment potential.  From personal experience, 9 out 10 times hardbooters are too worried about 'getting low', or crafting the perfecting line, that they truly haven't developed actual all-mountain riding skills to tackle more advance terrain, steeper lines, chopped conditions.  Ripping turns on blue square corduroy is for quakers. Fun? Sure, but a lot of the yenta's here seem to measure their social status by it. Why? Start ripping turns (in control), with style, in ice, getting low, at SPEED down steeper trails -- then you can start claiming, then you have skill, then you're a snowboarder!  By no means is this a bash on beginner riders, or riders on the up-and-up.... it's more of a bash of the riders here that have been riding since the 80-90's but can't make a turn for shit on steeps, ice, in race courses, in chopped.

The racer style HB'ers can hang on steeps, while the pure-carve Brian Boitano's out there tend to literally sideslip down the steeps. Are you not embarrassed by this? Are you the very same guys walking your MTB's down DH trails? :) Clearly if you can rip turns on intermediate runs, but can't on steeps, are you not selling yourself short? The pursuit of the perfect carve should not end on blue runs, underneath tourist-laden chairlifts, or in goofy self-promoting 'on the chairlift' conversations.  By no means am I suggesting that HB'ers should be blasting the Palisades at Squaw on their equipment, but by all means you should be able to rip impressive turns down runs steeper than these neutered trails that HB'ers tend to gravitate towards. If you can't -- It's not the equipment, it's you. 

Who is this guy? Skeezrule? Whoever he is, he spot effing on.

1 hour ago, SolRosenburg said:

here at YentaOnline

That's pretty funny!  But the rest is troll-worthy.  Maybe just skip to the end and get out the tape measures to settle this once and for all? 

Who cares who rips harder and who skids?  Was there a minimum membership requirement?  We're talking about a hobby for 40+ year old men here.  No one outside our tiny (microscopic?) circle gives a damn.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corey said:

That's pretty funny!  But the rest is troll-worthy.  Maybe just skip to the end and get out the tape measures to settle this once and for all? 

Who cares who rips harder and who skids?  Was there a minimum membership requirement?  We're talking about a hobby for 40+ year old men here.  No one outside our tiny (microscopic?) circle gives a damn.   

You make a great point. It's definitely not intended to be a measuring stick or a who's who. Fun is fun, whether you are carving or yenta'ing. My point was I see ALOT of SB bashing by HB'ers here at YOL that can talk the talk, but can't walk the walk.  Been riding for a loong time and I love all facets of the sport -- it's hard for me to sit idle and hear rhetoric of what snowboarding or carving 'should be' by riders that are one-dimensional, intermediate trail super-stars.  

Edited by SolRosenburg

1 hour ago, SolRosenburg said:

goofy self-promoting 'on the chairlift' conversations

I warned you Sol, it's not appropriate to use "goofy" in such a context.

You haven't been here long enough to judge everybody in one fell swoop.  Social status here is determined in large part by your contribution to the hardbooting community; by how helpful and welcoming you are to newbies, by how you handle your sales of used gear, by whether you show up to gatherings and events, loan out your equipment, and promote the sport generally. 

You want to come here and bash riders who can't keep up with you?  Or who you perceive to be overstating their skills?   Most of the best snowboard carvers on the continent have accounts here.  Who's going to vouch for your riding?  In the absence of video proof, you come off as exactly what you pretend to despise.  

Your trolling has gone a bit far.  It seems you're the biggest yenta of all this week.

For the confused: "yenta" is a yiddish word for a loud old squawking woman.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

I warned you Sol, it's not appropriate to use "goofy" in such a context.

You haven't been here long enough to judge everybody in one fell swoop.  Social status here is determined in large part by your contribution to the hardbooting community; by how helpful and welcoming you are to newbies, by how you handle your sales of used gear, by whether you show up to gatherings and events, loan out your equipment, and promote the sport generally. 

You want to come here and bash riders who can't keep up with you?  Or who you perceive to be overstating their skills?   Most of the best snowboard carvers on the continent have accounts here.  Who's going to vouch for your riding?  In the absence of video proof, you come off as exactly what you pretend to despise.  

Your trolling has gone a bit far.  It seems you're the biggest yenta of all this week.

For the confused: "yenta" is a yiddish word for a loud old squawking woman.

Precisely. You use words like "some" and "most".  From being a long-term lurker at YOL, I stand by comments and i never said everyone here falls into one bucket. Let's be real though, there's a ton of people overstating their abilities -- oddly, their very own gopro footage is evidence of this.    My comments here are about my observations, not my skill. I yenta on the hill, not behind the keyboard. 

I'm gonna have to call you out Sol. 

You use phrases "little buddy" and "9 out of 10" to put others down, then tell us we're the yentas.

You describe precisely the single style you accept as a good carve "getting low without using their arm as a complete crutch", then slag on others for "rhetoric of what snowboarding or carving should be".

You brag about your skill "been riding since 85' at every level except WC's. Getting low on hero corduroy (like these vids) without using my arm as a complete crutch is a non-issue, daily.".    Then deny it:  "My comments here are about my observations, not my skill".

Skeezrule?  No.  More likely he's a Russian bot designed to divide the hardboot snowboard community and breed distrust of institutions.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, crackaddict said:

I'm gonna have to call you out Sol. 

You use phrases "little buddy" and "9 out of 10" to put others down, then tell us we're the yentas.

You describe precisely the single style you accept as a good carve "getting low without using their arm as a complete crutch", then slag on others for "rhetoric of what snowboarding or carving should be".

You brag about your skill "been riding since 85' at every level except WC's. Getting low on hero corduroy (like these vids) without using my arm as a complete crutch is a non-issue, daily.".    Then deny it:  "My comments here are about my observations, not my skill".

Skeezrule?  No.  More likely he's a Russian bot designed to divide the hardboot snowboard community and breed distrust of institutions.  

Sorry but guys like you are exactly why I purposely over-use the term yenta when referring to this site and the silly debates and posturing.

- Little Buddy is a nod to my favorite TV show. That' insulting? lol  9 out of 10 is my personal observation of hardbooters that I see. Sorry, but who exactly am i putting down? Again, since i need to restate this.... I'm not trashing every hardbooter or skill levels - but i despise the copious amounts of know-all's here that never venture off of their favorite, perfectly groomed, intermediate run, then run to BOL and chime-in in a chest-thumping fashion about sidecut radius, the best boards, how many people at the mountain marveled at their turns, yada. yada. yada. Btw, I'm not the only one he feels this way. I run into carvers at the mountain ALL the time and this is a very common sentiment when referring to the site. Not the value of the site, or the long-standing support of the sport, more-so the inundation of bloated, know-all's that can't walk the walk. 

- Using your arm as a crutch while "getting low".  Yes, to me, this is an atrocious style and yes that was a slag on one type of riding. I don't like cheating, and I don't like shitty styles. This style is both. I embrace racers, park riders, pow, and big line riders, and even skiers, that have balls, have style, CAN execute, and most importantly don't congregate on sites like this debating who can carve a complete circle better, or what radius will help them make GS turns even though they don't race. 

- Bragging...Been riding since 85 is a fact, not a brag. If i said "I'm the best rider you've ever seen, better than Peter Baeur and Jean Nerva combined' -- well, that's a brag and that's likely not true. Getting low on corduroy without an arm-crutch is easy. Also, not a brag. Is it really that hard for most? You might be hangin' with the wrong crew if you think that's hard or bragging.  

Thanks for taking the time to yenta with me, I'm happy to return yenta with you, I think this has been a valuable (for you) discussion.  

Again, bagging on a video that is there to teach someone how to do the EuropaCarve, because they put their body parts on the snow is pretty f’in stupid.

Get it together, Solomon. Then go fishing... forever  

Corey... I’ll take the warning points for this one. Couldn’t help myself. It just felt right. 

1 minute ago, Rob Stevens said:

Again, bagging on a video that is there to teach someone how to do the EuropaCarve, because they put their body parts on the snow is pretty f’in stupid.

Get it together, Solomon. Then go fishing... forever  

Corey... I’ll take the warning points for this one. Couldn’t help myself. It just felt right. 

No fishing today. Spawning is over. The halibut have left the Sound.    

But wait, i'm confused. You guys have/give warning points? That's super cute. Do you also wear pieces of flair on the mountain? 

3 hours ago, SolRosenburg said:

The racer style HB'ers can hang on steeps, while the pure-carve Brian Boitano's out there tend to literally sideslip down the steeps. Are you not embarrassed by this? Are you the very same guys walking your MTB's down DH trails? :) Clearly if you can rip turns on intermediate runs, but can't on steeps, are you not selling yourself short? The pursuit of the perfect carve should not end on blue runs, underneath tourist-laden chairlifts, or in goofy self-promoting 'on the chairlift' conversations.  By no means am I suggesting that HB'ers should be blasting the Palisades at Squaw on their equipment, but by all means you should be able to rip impressive turns down runs steeper than these neutered trails that HB'ers tend to gravitate towards. If you can't -- It's not the equipment, it's you. 

Sounds like the most important thing to you is what you others think about you. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, John E said:

Sounds like the most important thing to you is what you others think about you. 

Definitely! Especially about fishing. I hate when people talk about the size of my fish, or my fancy titanal lures. 

Edited by SolRosenburg
I must have lost my connection.