Note to New Members ×

Name the Wipeout

pmorita

Was sitting around the dinner table talking about wipeouts with the kids.  Came up with the following list.  Anyone have some to add?

Yard Sale - (Classic) when hat, gloves, goggles, ... go everywhere.

Christmas Tree - Skier falls forward and skis form a V.

Urban Sprawl - Front side slide on the stomach with knees bent and board in the air.

Scorpion - Catch a toe edge, fall on your face and the board comes around and hits you in the back of the head.

Lawn Chair - Heel edge, on your back, fold in half and board hits you in the face.

image.png.14c64a800658fdbdb2cef8d41c0396ee.png

Photos appreciated.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I'm an expert at the Jackhammer, where you bounce your heel edge a dozen times before you finally sit down on your butt, and the Exfoliator, where you get dragged down the hill frontside behind your board, getting a snow facial as you go.

I like "Shark Attack" ... but I thought they were snowsnakes.

Probably similar to some of the others but here are mine. 

The Mousetrap - think of the spring of said trap. I usually use this in reference to the toeside edge catch.

The Superman - toeside edge catch with arms extended and "look I can fly" always followed by a hard landing. And occasionally followed by The Scorpion. 

The 911 takedown - can be toeside or heelside, characterized by it's brutality and likelihood of needing medical care. 

Folding the nose - illustrated by JJA with the addition of the flip and twist from the speed. There are lighter versions like the Nose to Nose. Fold nose of board to sliding nose of face across snow. Usually from getting too low and too forward too soon. 

Shot off the tail - usually caused by fatigue or tremendous speed or both. You get compressed over the tail in a heel side turn until you run out of strength or compression, upper body passed over board causing extreme flexing and resulting launch upon rebound. Upon perfect execution of this fall a skier friend remarked to me "I didn't know you could catch that much air off a totally flat run...". Well I did.