Note to New Members ×

Where to go for a month?

Dan

This is probably just wishful thinking, but if I wanted to spend a month somewhere in January or February, where should I go? Criteria:

-good grooming / good carving terrain

-slopeside lodging, or at least a short shuttle bus ride (less than 15 minutes) to the slopes

-Can rent a furnished apartment/condo/studio/room for <$1,500 for a month

You're probably wondering how I can get that much time off work. I can't! But I might be able to work remote for a month and get in about 2 hours of riding in the morning, then work 11-7 each day. Being close to the slopes is an absolute requirement; even 30 minutes makes this kind of a dealbreaker. 

Schweitzer came to mind, naturally (shoutout to NICE crew!), but what other options are there? I imagine that Sun Valley and Whitefish are out of budget, Bachelor doesn't have lodging close enough to the hill, and I have the impression that Big Sky doesn't have great grooming. What are the other options? A place that runs the chair at 8 a.m. Pacific time would be even better - then I could start my work day only about an hour behind. Any thoughts? Anything west of Denver is a possibility. 

I just got back from your fantastic city! It's an option, for sure. I would probably want to pick one of the local hills (Cypress, Grouse, etc) and buy a pass. What are crowds like weekdays, and is there enough terrain to stay entertained for a month? 

20 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I thought about it, but I've spent some time there and at Schweitzer and I like Schweitzer better (sorry Big Mountain crew!), so if I was going to that neck of the woods, I'd probably stick with Schweitzer. 

Dan,

I don't know about rental pricing but if I could go any where with slope side accommodations for a month it would be Sun Peaks.  Three mountains funneling into one village with great carving.  Big White is just a few hours away, if you wanted to split it up.

• Like 1

If "carving terrain" is easy piste with no significant bumps on it... I'd say there's not a lot to choose between Sun peaks & Big White on those grounds alone.  Overall they're all decently large, good down to earth places without crowds or BS. 

For Sun Peaks I tend to stay in Kamloops because I'm usually "passing through" heading somewhere else, and there wasn't much resort when I started going there so I got into that habit. For Big White I've stayed in resort accommodation and also stayed in Kelowna and driven up for days (so I can also visit Silver Star...).

Big White feels to have a much bigger resort base - it's big enough to need a lift to get you across the village and includes an ice rink, for example. Sun Peaks feels much more compact. At Big White the pistes go below the accommodation so it's European-style ski-in/ ski-out if that's what you want. Sun Peaks is a valley-bottom development, with the village splitting what really feel like the two (not three) sides of the resort.

Overall Big White feels much more a "destination resort" - they get 'plane loads of (often Australian) tourists who are flown in on packages. They have (last time I looked) more restaurants, ice rinks, and "night life" potential to keep you entertained for your stay. It probably depends on precisely what you do, but Sun Peaks is a solid "family" place; Big White is that too, but it's also marketed to a younger mostly Australian crowd.

---
On the OP - it all depends on what you want and where the snow is, but you could get radical and time-shift to Europe...!

Steamboat Springs.  I have been taking my family there for two weeks every year Since 2002.  It never gets old.  The powder, grooming, trees, apres ski, downtown, night life.....its all among the best.  If you decide to go let me know and I'll give you a long list of restaurants and trail names that rank at the top of list list.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I love all the ideas I've been hearing, thanks for all the suggestions and advice. It is really fun to think about all the options. 

Sadly, this may be turning into a kind of hypothetical discussion at this point, or maybe "next year for sure", because I'm starting to get projects that will run into the winter/spring, that might make it hard to be remote. Still, it's always good to know what the options are...:-) I'm pretty set on the idea that I should get into Mountain Time. Europe is out for this because I really need to be online during West Coast business hours, otherwise I would love to spend extended time there. Same for Japan. 

Funnily enough, I've been looking at little old Brundage in Idaho primarily because lodging close to the slopes is really cheap, and when I'm looking at staying the full month, things add up. I haven't heard really anything about that mountain, has anyone ever ridden there? 

@Cuban, I'm hoping to drop in to WTF this season, though I wish you were starting about 2 days earlier so I could go from NICE direct to WTF. Sounds like you're doing something like what I had in mind, are you on vacation, or will you be on call when you're in Tahoe? Who knows, maybe I could drop down for a long weekend. 

Brundage  has four or five intermediate runs they keep groomed even on most powder days. They mostly funnel back to the same lift or a slow fixed triple. No lines but I got bored after skiing there 5-6 times over 6 years, but maybe it was because it is a 2.5 hour drive each way to ski for 4-5 hours.  There were one -two other carvers a few years back but haven't seen any the last 2 years I've been there.  Open 9:30-4:30 they are know for their powder in Jan.-Feb, although only 4" to 1.5'  mostly.  McCall is a 25-30 minute drive,  The last six miles are 25mph switchbacks.  I'd say Bogus basin 16 miles of switchbacks from Boise but it takes 35-45 minutes  and they open late on weekdays  10am-10pm, 9-10 weekends, but passes are $350 if you just moved here.  

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Dan said:

@Cuban, I'm hoping to drop in to WTF this season, though I wish you were starting about 2 days earlier so I could go from NICE direct to WTF.

You should hang around anyway. Hotels in Whitefish are pretty reasonable in the winter, or from Schweitzer, swing into Canada and spend a couple of days at Kimberley - which is a wonderful hill for a carving board, with cheap lift tickets and cheap accommodation. Then Fernie's on your way to Whitefish as well, if you stay north of the border. That could make for a very good week at that time of year.

Edited by Allee

Thanks Allee! I love the idea of hitting Kimberley or Fernie, but after some thought, and taking into account that I will be working with floppy noodle legs, I think I probably need to take some rest days after NICE. I'll work remote  on 1/22 and 1/23, then hit WTF starting the 24th. Still not sure where I'll be on the 22nd and 23rd, maybe Whitefish or possibly Spokane -- I've been mulling over a move there for awhile and it would be nice to spend a little time there.  

Cuban, I'll be at WTF 1/24 - 1/26, just me this time, my wife's new job is not very generous with vacation days. Looking forward to riding with the WTF crew again! Tahoe is TBD because I may be doing a ski trip with my cousins in February, destination uncertain, but we'll see how things shake out. 

• 2 weeks later...