Note to New Members ×

Official/Unofficial ATC 2018 thread

Corey

Well, it looks like snow is still lacking, but at least a lot more terrain is open and looking at the groom report, a fair amount of runs are groomed on every mountain. So it should still be a good time. I arrive friday Night. 

Anybody currently there? Can you report on the conditions?

On 1/15/2018 at 9:30 AM, John E said:

Mario & I will be arriving Monday afternoon 2/5. Want to meet up at the Bumps restaurant in the lodge at the base of Buttermilk? Maybe 4PM or so? We can decide then where we want to ride the following day and where to meet up each day after. 

John, this is a great idea!  With no official schedule posted by Bomber, it'll be hard to gather everyone.  Being that this is an unofficial event, we don't have to be constrained by a rigid schedule.  But riding with others is kind of the point, so we need something!  How about: 

Saturday, Feb 3 - Buttermilk.  Meet at the bottom of Summit Express lift at 9:30 AM.  Lifts open at 9, so you can get one run in if you're early, or just come for 9:30 if you don't care.  Get on lift at 9:40.  Opening gathering at Bumps in main lodge at 4 PM.  

Sunday, Feb 4 - Ajax (Aspen Mtn).  Meet at the bottom of Silver Queen gondola at 9:00 AM. Get on gondola by 9:10.  Beginners/intermediates can play around Ajax Express lift.  Steep lovers can hit FIS chair then Ruthies.  

Monday, Feb 5 - Snowmass.  Meet at the end of the Snowmass Mall plaza by the top of the Sky Cab lift at 9 AM.   Get on Village Express lift at 9:10.  

Feb 6 through Feb 9. - Follow the snow/groom, to be decided the previous night.  

Does this sound good?  Please offer feedback.  I know that Snowmass tends to be busy on weekends, so let's avoid it until a weekday.  We can post schedule updates in this thread.  

Does anyone want a clinic sometime?  I can assist, or run something, or whatever.  

Our good friends at Donek are able to supply some demo boards for this unofficial session.  Can anyone pick them up in Watkins, CO and then bring them to Aspen?  

I don't know quantity, but let's assume a stack of 10-15 boards.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corey said:

John, this is a great idea!  With no official schedule posted by Bomber, it'll be hard to gather everyone.  Being that this is an unofficial event, we don't have to be constrained by a rigid schedule.  But riding with others is kind of the point, so we need something!  How about: 

Saturday, Feb 3 - Buttermilk.  Meet at the bottom of Summit Express lift at 9:30 AM.  Lifts open at 9, so you can get one run in if you're early, or just come for 9:30 if you don't care.  Get on lift at 9:40.  Opening gathering at Bumps in main lodge at 4 PM.  

Sunday, Feb 4 - Ajax (Aspen Mtn).  Meet at the bottom of Silver Queen gondola at 9:00 AM. Get on gondola by 9:10.  Beginners/intermediates can play around Ajax Express lift.  Steep lovers can hit FIS chair then Ruthies.  

Monday, Feb 5 - Snowmass.  Meet at the end of the Snowmass Mall plaza by the top of the Sky Cab lift at 9 AM.   Get on Village Express lift at 9:10.  

Feb 6 through Feb 9. - Follow the snow/groom, to be decided the previous night.  

Does this sound good?  Please offer feedback.  I know that Snowmass tends to be busy on weekends, so let's avoid it until a weekday.  We can post schedule updates in this thread.  

Does anyone want a clinic sometime?  I can assist, or run something, or whatever.  

This sounds good to me.  Corey, maybe you can put this schedule on the first post of this thread and keep it updated there? Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Corey said:

Our good friends at Donek are able to supply some demo boards for this unofficial session.  Can anyone pick them up in Watkins, CO and then bring them to Aspen?  

I'm on the motha.  Waiting for a callback from Sean.  Have 'em with me on Monday morning at snowmass

On 1/30/2018 at 1:27 PM, Corey said:

I can get them from Watkins/Saturday afternoon and up to Loveland on Sunday Morning. I won’t be able to attend but always willing to help! Although Sunday’s at Loveland have been unofficially awesome!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slopestar said:

I can get them from Watkins/Saturday afternoon and up to Loveland on Sunday Morning. I won’t be able to attend but always willing to help! Although Sunday’s at Loveland have been unofficially awesome!

Thanks Lance, but I got it handled, picking them up tonight after work

• Like 1

10 hours ago, big mario said:

Thanks Lance, but I got it handled, picking them up tonight after work

Big Mario is the man!  Thanks!  

Local knowledge from Jim says that Aspen Mountain is by far the best right now, with upper Highlands being next best.  Let's stick with Buttermilk on Saturday and Aspen on Sunday, then we adjust from there.  

I'll edit the first post in this thread when we figure out where we are going each day.  

• Like 1

Here is my Unofficial Snow Report for the Official/Unofficial ATC.  I've been carving the past 4 days with the Pure Boarding crew chasing Joerg and friends around the mountains.  

Snowmass:

We rode Snowmass on Monday and of the four mountains it's the worst off. Most of the best carving runs are not groomed and those that are groomed have thin cover.  Plenty of dirt patches, stones, and exposed rock.  It's doubtful we'll go back unless there's some significant snowfall.  The good news is the other mountains are much better. 

Buttermilk:

Rode Buttermilk Tuesday morning.  Buttermilk is good but not the Milkland of your dreams. Coverage is okay. No stones but grooming is lacking by Aspen standards. Most of Tiehack has not been groomed. Runs off the Summit Express to the front of the mountain and West are all excellent.  The view of the pristine groom on Golden Horn from the top of Buttermilk was too tempting.  We moved over to the Aspen Highlands around 10:30 and were glad we did.

Aspen Highlands:

Highlands is super! Golden Horn and Gunbarrel are awesome!  Golden Horn has plenty of snow and the best groom in Aspen next to Ruthie's.  On Tuesday, Gunbarrel off of the Cloud Nine lift was yummy good with plenty of coverage.  Today, Gunbarrel had stones and dirt patches to watch out for.  Two days of carving trenches on Golden Horn and I can't wait for more.  The groom on Golden Horn is likely firmer than Colorado natives would like, but coming from the East Coast, I thought it was hero conditions.  The Bowl is open, but...

Ajax/Aspen Mountain:

Ajax is incredible if you stick to runs off Ruthie's all the way down to 1A and FIS Express. Ruthie's has plenty of snow and the groom is easily the best of the 4 mountains. The rest of the mountain is very iffy - thin cover with bare spots. Copper Bowl is best avoided. It's riddled with rocks and stones. Aztek off Ruthie's is fun and challenging: it's steep and hard packed.  I'm from the East Coast, I felt right at home. :biggthump

We will likely alternate between Ajax and Highlands and maybe hit Buttermilk once or twice more. 

My last day of riding is Sunday.  Pure Boarding is here to the end of next week.  Hope to see some of you out here this Saturday and Sunday. 

Carve on!

Edited by lafcadio
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, softbootsurfer said:

if I was here with a HB set up...I would be on Ruthies Early AM and 1a later...no Copper, but try Spar at 12:30 for 1 as well...Enjoy

Ruthies to 1a ?. When I read those words I thought I was in a dream. Thanks Bob!

Miss not making to Aspen this year. Will you guys make some turns for us please?

Remember, you can still do first tracks. I think you just give them a call.

Ron & Gloria

Edited by digger jr