Note to New Members ×

Official/Unofficial ATC 2018 thread

Corey

"Heard it in the LiftLine":

Michigan Mike, Jim Cheen & I were riding West Buttermilk on Friday. Conditions were mediocre. We were standing at the top of the lift and a 16 year-old (ish) snowboarder came up to us and said "Excuse me - do you guys feel guilty for leaving all those trenches on the slopes?". 

First off - these weren't really trenches - a few grooves maybe 3" deep at best. Not Mario scale trenches. After I picked up my jaw I responded "No!". He continued to complain and Mike started to engage him. I just rode away and thought of many snappy replies that I wish I had said. Like "Do you feel guilty for scraping all the snow off the slopes?" Or "You have mistaken me for someone who cares". Or "Get Off My Lawn!". 

• Haha 3

Carving at West Buttermilk is a lot like doing a Cannonball in the kiddie pool:

1) It's a lot of fun

2) It really impresses the little kids

3) It pisses off the parents

4) The real Divers realize how little skill it takes

5) It's a lot of fun (that's why we did so many runs there)

• Like 2

Thanks Johan,

That was a study in contrasts, Corey putting down 2 to 2.5 turns to everyone of mine on the big virus. It almost seemed like I had time to make a lunch, pack it, and then eat it in one of my turns, whereas Corey barely had time to change his mind and he was off in another direction

Mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

It seems to me that the people most likely to attend future Expression Sessions are the folks that were here this year. I'd guess that only about 20 cavers were in attendance. Most of those that attended had to bear significantly more effort and cost than I did. 

If the conditions this year had been fabulous, attendees would be somewhat likely to return again next year. Since conditions were mediocre at best, I'd guess people are questioning attending next year.

It sounds like Fin has little interest in running Bomber and probably no one else is interested or competent to run it. 

Are we going to fall below Critical Mass? 

25 minutes ago, John E said:

It seems to me that the people most likely to attend future Expression Sessions are the folks that were here this year. I'd guess that only about 20 cavers were in attendance. Most of those that attended had to bear significantly more effort and cost than I did. 

If the conditions this year had been fabulous, attendees would be somewhat likely to return again next year. Since conditions were mediocre at best, I'd guess people are questioning attending next year.

It sounds like Fin has little interest in running Bomber and probably no one else is interested or competent to run it. 

Are we going to fall below Critical Mass? 

That is quite the bleak outlook. I can spin it the opposite way and go with the glass half full approach; people that are most likely to attend future Expression Sessions are the folks that were here this year, AND those that weren't. Those that attended most likely don't mind the effort and cost associated with attending. (It's all relative). 

Regardless of the conditions this year, people will be willing to attend next year. People understand that this season has been mediocre, so far, but that does not mean next year will be the same. People are probably giddy with excitement about next year. 

Fin does not decide where the sport goes and i'm sure there are plenty of competent people that can run the business.

We are not falling or near Critical Mass. This is just starting. 

Let's instead focus on the awesome parts of this session. We got to carve with awesome people. We all improved our carving ability. (corey's awesome clinic) We pissed off some skiers. We left trenches. We ate good food and were in good company.

TL;DR - Just because this was a mediocre season and few people chose to attend the UNOFFICIAL session doesn't mean the sport is dying. Your perception is not someone else's reality. :-)

Yeah, if the session were one week later it would have been all smiles for all attendees.   Kind of like the last 9-ish years I've been to Aspen.  The first few days last week were rough, but the latter days had pretty good snow on the popular runs.  Shame Susy Q was covered with dirt patches at Highlands - I have unfinished business with that run!  For now I need to do some base repairs and a lot of edge sharpening.  

Who knows where Bomber will be next year?  If a new owner pops up and moves HQ to Idaho (or wherever), then there will likely be a gathering in Idaho (or wherever). 

I'll travel somewhere again next season.  If a Bomber-led session isn't a go, NICE and WTF are the two top contenders in my mind as they seem like fun events with good hills and good people.  Hardbooting isn't dying because of poor snow one year in Colorado.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was aiming to attend this year but things were not working out in my favor to go with work and personal life. 

I would be all over a session in the west, Tahoe again or even better June/Mammoth. 

Whatever the case, I again plan on attending next year, I definitely need the clinics as I cannot find a local hardboot instructor! 

On 2/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, Corey said:

NICE and WTF are the two top contenders in my mind as they seem like fun events with good hills and good people.  Hardbooting isn't dying because of poor snow one year in Colorado.  

Bada Bing!  WTF   every year ....if you can make plans early...they have been offering 40% off lift and lodging..  a steal!!! who cares what the snow was at that point..all i know is i wont be at work!