Note to New Members ×

Board A.D.D.? (Changing boards through the day)

Corey

My chosen "Ski Area" will never be a destination resort, so the close in parking will never be taken over by the condo bondage and fairytale village's of most other Colorado resorts, board changes are quick and easy since I am usually parked less than 75 yards from lift 1. At nearly 11,000', however, that little uphill jaunt can be rather painful

I'm an obsessive first into the carpark guy just so I can switch boards around or just try different settings. With the cord cut up and lumpy within an hour or two of opening time my later in the day board almost always has an isocline/isolation plate on it.

21 hours ago, pow4ever said:

I think it's also cyclical:  like toe side is stronger one season, then heel side, then toe and back and forth.  On rare occasion where both side are fairly equal; one feel like hero.

http://www.bomberonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/The-Toeside-Problem.pdf

I do like to bring 2 of my 5 boards to the hill.

My Madd BX, and to a lesser extent the Coiler AM-T, are the boards I take if I don't know what I'm going to hit, but want to have a good time in whatever  it is. Unless I'm certain of the conditions (as in I'm staying at the hill and can look out the window) one of those two is always in the car just in case. But whatever I start the day on is usually what I'll finish on, unless the pow starts to pile up while I'm riding. It depends on where I'm riding too, as others have said. If it's somewhere where getting back to the lodge and out again is easy, like Nakiska, I'm more likely to swap for the hell of it. If it's Sunshine, where swapping involves going all the way to the bottom and hiking across the carpark for half a mile to the car, I'll usually just suck it up.

And I'll never turn down a test ride on someone else's toy, which is the other reason I'll be swapping bindings at lunch.

Edited by Allee
  • Like 1

Since becoming a parent I have definitely stopped fussing. The only times that I have two decks with me are when I am on a trip, or I am training so I have my gs and my sl decks with me. 

Time on snow is very limited these days, so when I set out with a training mindset, that is it. It doesn't matter the conditions. I'll take sl in traffic and gs when more open. Can't kill anyone. And if I am freeriding in softies it doesn't matter at all what I am on. Our winters are starting to become so bad that I am thankful to be sliding on anything.

Hey Corey,

Could be more closely related to H.D. - aka: Hyperpicky Disorder  

When the groom turns to lumpy mush by mid day I not only bring along a second softer board, I also bring a second pair of softer boots!  I swap out the Track 700's for Track 325's and my pumped thighs and knees have been rejoicing ever since.

Of course going back to the car to swap out board and boots can be a pain depending on the vastness of the resort. Too much trouble where you have to negotiate a huge village and remote parking like at Squaw or Northstar.

Not a problem at Alpine or Kirkwood where you can park right infront of the lift........

I have O.A.W.D.

On a whim disorder

Last time up I only used 1 board, 176 nidecker with the binders set back all the way for 8" of mashed potatoes, but I had 3 boards with me.

I'd rather haul all the gear (including the iron and graphite slush wax which got me several free beers that day) up and be ready than to deny my whims:eplus2:

Yesterday at Sunapee, I was riding with Dave (and met fellow Tanker Pilot Dan!), and brought two boards. My trusty 182 Tanker, and an untried 157 PureCarve. The soft was variably soft, inviting deep carves, but ones that a 'soft touch' was also needed to keep afloat. On the Tanker, this usually was not an issue. While Dave's Donek could out arc me by a bit, we pretty much were able to play with getting really deep, and clean, in our carves.

The Nastar trail was perfectly groomed, and neither the double nor little triple were running to access it quickly. We pretty much had to run the gauntlet alongside the cast-in-place bumps under the mid-mountain triple to get to Nastar. So, I went back to the baselodge, and switched over to the PureCarve. I'd never been on it before...

This is where my many years, and very many boards worth, of experience kept me from really making a fool of myself.

Dave and I got over to the nearly untouched Nastar trail, and Dave led off. I started out gingerly, but wanted to see what this board could do. I got three deep carves outa it, then went just a bit lower/deeper into a toesider. It Augered, but didn't quite go to periscope depth before I got back on the tail. I left an ugly-looking scar in the hill, but didn't quite fall, and came out stopped, on my toe edge! I gathered my wits, and went about chasing dave, but a bit more lightfootedly. 

I got back on the Tanker shortly afterwards. I pulled my groin muscles a tad, and my quads are still tingly.. Great Day, Great People, awesome conditions! But perhaps one board too many?!:freak3:

2 hours ago, BlueB said:

What is the Pure Carve 157? 

I'd best describe it as a damper, but wider board than an old '97 [Symetrical] Burton Alp., roughly an inch wider overall, with a not-quite-as-tight sidecut. So it's like 28cm at the nose, 24.3cm at the waist, and 27.1 cm at the tail, with 8mm camber, squared-off tail. It's NOT a 'pocket' Swoard, not stiff enough, nor with enough grip to be layed-over upon (at least not with my bulk). However, it looked like it might dance nicely in the post-blizzard groomed snow we just got? And, yup, it would, as long as you're light enough on your feet not to step onto it's toes! I, being a clutz, did that, unfortunately... At least Dave didn't laugh too hard!:eplus2:

Eric,

Yesterday was epic!  I had a great day.  Thanks for the pointers.  I think I have enough to work on until mid way through next season.  Those conditions were amazing.

I didn't see Eric burying the nose but I did see the aftermath.  He was a bit flustered.

Dave

• Like 1

Yes, and thanks for the Chivalry there! But, as I said, "I give you Permission to Laugh at ME", just because, I didn't know just what the board, nor quite myself, would do... :cool::confused:

But, the Tracks were Hilarious!!, And, still there when I left at 3:30...

I'm certain the Groomers had a good laugh, or, hated the Arcs and Divots left by us.

• Like 1

I seem to always take more than one snowboard (and even skis).  I'm still a beginner really, so sometimes I switch out in the day when conditions change.  Bigger problem is that none of my friends are about the carve (skiers and snowboarders) - so I am either with them as they bomb (relatively speaking) and skid down the hill (or we are finding powder stashes on our trips out west), or I am with my son who likes to bomb the blues on skis and is otherwise just learning to snowboard.  

Even if I were just on my own, though, I'd always bring two of something - carvers, softboot boards, skis.  I like to have the gear and I like to use it, even if minimally each year.  Probably one of the reasons I am so bad at everything I do - Jack of no trades.

At the small local hills I take a Prior WCR, a Prior FLC and a custom flex Prior 4WD with soft boot setup.   The WCR is a blast, but when the conditions get choppy the FLC (metal) comes out and allows me to keep the speed and cut through it all.  On cold days with ball bearings, the FLC provides full speed commitment to edging through them.  At larger hills, on wide open slopes, getting the FLC to high edge angles is an adrenaline rush, rocketing across the slope.   The WCR comes out again to work technique.  If the snow and my quads get soft the 4WD and soft boots keep things going. 

At destination resorts the 4WD makes for a good all mountain board and I rarely switch.