Note to New Members ×

Modern-day equivalent fit and stiffness for an antique set of Raichles?

jburk

I've been riding these boots for longer than I care to admit; bought them new in the mid-90's and the liners are finally starting to fall apart.  Nothing else has ever broken on them; the buckles, straps, and all shell components are still functional.  Quite impressive actually, they've probably got 400+ days on them.  

I'm guessing this was a UK 7 given the size markings stamped inside the shell, and since I wear a size 7-1/2 or 8 US Men's shoe that seems to be about right, but realize that some manufacturer's boots fit larger or smaller, so I'm looking for the modern equivalent of my 20+ year-old Raichle hardshells...

Measured my foot for mondo sizing as recommended on a few posts I've seen, 26.2cm which translates to a mondo 26.  Confirms the guess about the stamped sizes being UK sizing.

So I know my size in the modern age, but what about stiffness and fit?  

The Raichles came with grey and black tongues, found the grey too stiff, I only freeride all-mountain, no gates in the last 15 years.  Even when I ran gates the black tongues were a better match.  Still weigh the same, 180 lb .

If these old beaters fit my feet for so long, would I be more of a candidate for Deeluxe or UPZ's?

raichle_SB.JPG

raichle_SB_base.JPG

raichle_SB_cuff.JPG

Both Deeluxe and UPZ will be a departure from those boots.  Frankly AT boots have more similarities to those boots than either Deeluxe or UPZ.  You will no doubt miss those soles.  With your smaller shoe size AT boots wont be an issue.

These look eerily similar- http://www.backcountry.com/salomon-mtn-explore-ski-boot?skid=SAL00L8-WHI-S245&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6c2tpIGJvb3RzOjE6Nzpza2kgYm9vdHM=

That said with boots it's fit, fit, and fit.  

Thanks for the quick response.  Yup, the Vibram soles were (are) awesome, but my hiking days are long past; it's all in-bounds now and the only hiking I do is from the parking lot.

I'm not necessarily looking for the same boots (but newer), I'm really interested in trying out more modern gear.  Looking forward to also riding a carving board built in the last few years, but the boots will need replacing first.  Somehow my disposable income has shrank in the last couple of decades.

Also dying to try step-ins, if I can afford to replace the burton/ibex bindings I'm riding right now on the antique Burton Asym Air.  I have an F2 Beamer up in the rafters, but the bindings for that seem to be lost to the mists of time.

If you're low on disposable income just buy a set of replacement liners.

http://store.bomberonline.com/Deeluxe-131-Thermo-Flex-Liners_p_90.html  or just Google Intuition liners in your size... often good buys to be had...

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Diamond-Quadrant-Thermo-Ski-Boot-Liner-Liners-26-0-/132067277666

Boot technology really hasn't advanced that much... but the new boards are very damp... very nice... with really great side-cuts and flex profiles.

You could get liners, move your ibex binders and go with boards like-

or

The OXESS RS 160

or

You get the idea.  :-)

These boots look different from the Deeluxe 225/325 series, but it's actually the same shell shape. Different shape than the Track 700. You could try 225s or 325s and get the flex to suit with an aftermarket spring system (BTS). But yes, the boots look in good shape, so maybe just get some new liners. The original liners are more like the leather liners in higher end ski boots (at least mine were), so you could look for those, or similar (zipfits, Intuition Pro Tongue, etc; no thick foam sole).

Thanks all for the input.  I was pretty stoked initially about replacing the liners, but considering that the plastic the shells are composed of is at least 22 years old, so I think they're pretty much done.  I could start to sink money into these, only to have buckles start to part ways from the shell, etc, then I'm into new boots anyways and out the cost of the liners.

I also remembered that the heel ridge on the rear boot which fits under the bail is a bit worn; I had a bad habit of resting my board on it for a while and the edge scraped away some of the exterior of the shell.  If I don't pay attention when I clip in, it's possible to get a bad fit between the boot and bail, I've popped out of the rear while riding in the past (luckily never at warp speed), haven't done it in years, but is yet another reason to bin these.

If the Deeluxe 325's are close to the same "fit type" as these, then that's probably the way I'll go.

Thanks everyone, it's been very encouraging to find this community.  I've been away from riding for about 3 years, and hadn't seen another alpine boarder in Oregon in a very long time, didn't even know if the discipline still had any other practitioners.  

raichle_SB_heel.JPG

1 hour ago, teach said:

These boots look different from the Deeluxe 225/325 series, but it's actually the same shell shape. 

Actually not quite... I have horrible heel lift and fore foot squish in the SB type shells (225, 325, etc), little bit less in AF type shell (700), but the old Snowboarders and 121/123 fit me half decent... They are different bread then all of the successors. 

Those boots were great in there time.  Still could use them for all mountain and powder riding.  I held on to mine forever.  Don't be afraid of buying some newer gear, especially step in bindings.  I bought some used gear on the classified section and I have not looked back.  Hope you find some good gear.

17 hours ago, jburk said:

I also remembered that the heel ridge on the rear boot which fits under the bail is a bit worn; I had a bad habit of resting my board on it for a while and the edge scraped away some of the exterior of the shell.  If I don't pay attention when I clip in, it's possible to get a bad fit between the boot and bail, I've popped out of the rear while riding in the past (luckily never at warp speed), haven't done it in years, but is yet another reason to bin these.

I've fitted Switch bindings to the mid-shank of Koflachs in the past, which worked well as a step-in setup. And, putting TF liners in these would be very comfy. But, hey, if you're done with them,.. Move on.

21 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Both Deeluxe and UPZ will be a departure from those boots.  Frankly AT boots have more similarities to those boots than either Deeluxe or UPZ.  You will no doubt miss those soles.  With your smaller shoe size AT boots wont be an issue.

These look eerily similarhttp://www.backcountry.com/salomon-mtn-explore-ski-boot?skid=SAL00L8-WHI-S245&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6c2tpIGJvb3RzOjE6Nzpza2kgYm9vdHM=

That said with boots it's fit, fit, and fit.  

color maybe but not even in the same ball park lonbordin

buy used of both upz and deeluxe and try them out, easy to resell the one that doesn't fit as well

ps  stepins rule, just an old man's opinion

Edited by b0ardski