Note to New Members ×

Rust prevention. What do you guys do?

Zone

I've seen edges rust in the car & roof top box in a very short time when the temp is around or just above the freezing mark.

Even with wiping the edges clean, there must be water condensing from the colder riding to the relatively warmer car & box (garage).

I've waxed the edges right after each rides but takes a while, esp when you're a family of 5 with multiple skis and boards per person.

Lately I have used Krown rust spray (spray on a paper towel), and rub it on the edges. Very fast to do.

Krown rust is a company that spray your car with their proprietary oil to prevent rust , which is extremely effective from personal experience.

My only concern is whether that product can damage the base?

What do others do?

The Zardoz is an awesome product! Bromley carries it in the upstairs shop, and, they sell refill packs! Best stuff for slush/spring snow. 

For end-of-season storage, my go-to product has been Turtle car-wax paste-in-a-tin.I wax normally with all-temp, then rub this just on the edges to seal the deal. Use rubbing alcohol on q-tips to remove it before first day back on the snow, as Turtle is SLOW on hardpack...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zone said:

I've seen edges rust in the car & roof top box in a very short time when the temp is around or just above the freezing mark.

Even with wiping the edges clean, there must be water condensing from the colder riding to the relatively warmer car & box (garage).

I've waxed the edges right after each rides but takes a while, esp when you're a family of 5 with multiple skis and boards per person.

Lately I have used Krown rust spray (spray on a paper towel), and rub it on the edges. Very fast to do.

Krown rust is a company that spray your car with their proprietary oil to prevent rust , which is extremely effective from personal experience.

My only concern is whether that product can damage the base?

What do others do?

In you Clean the edges and use some (I like pink wax, 25ish degrees) on the edges, right there.

You have an unusual problem... and when you arrive at home, take in and clean the bottoms, lean em up, bindings in to dry, and remember to retune the edges and rewax the bottoms before another use.

Sks also.

1 hour ago, ursle said:

In you Clean the edges and use some (I like pink wax, 25ish degrees) on the edges, right there.

You have an unusual problem... and when you arrive at home, take in and clean the bottoms, lean em up, bindings in to dry, and remember to retune the edges and rewax the bottoms before another use.

Sks also.

It does not happen all the time (just like cars, mainly when resting temp is above freezing)

I've seen rust develop within hours (while at the resort, changing ski to snowboard/vice versa, gear sits in the rooftop box in the sun, but temp is cold enough for condensation and rusting, or at home in 5C to 10C garage coming from  -15C or below from outside). 

The Krown rust products works extremely well to prevent rust and is extremely fast to put on (5 x 5 pairs of skis, 4 boards).

Main concerns is whether the petroleum in it would degrade the wax or base (only applied to the metal but some leak over to the base).

Edited by Zone

5 minutes ago, Zone said:

The Krown rust products works extremely well to prevent rust and is extremely fast to put on (5 x 5 pairs of skis, 4 boards).

Main concerns is whether the petroleum in it would degrade the wax or base (only applied to the metal but some leak over to the base).

Yeah, well, good luck only applying it to metal! Keep in mind, your base, and your sidewall are from petrol-based plastics!

Edited by Eric Brammer aka PSR
spelling, doh!

1 minute ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

Yeah, well, good luck only applying it to metal! Keep in mind, your base, and your sidewall are from petrol-based plasitcs!

Hence the worry and initial query.

The product does not damage car's plastic bits or clear coat.

Edited by Zone
  • Like 1

Ok, I am not talking Exon Valdez amount.  Just a little on the rag when you put your ride away.  If you maintain your equipment and make it last, everything from your lawn mower to your cars, to your toys, less impact on our world.  Jim is right everything eventually winds up in our water, so be mindful of what you use.

It's relatively safe, and for the amount going on the edges, I can't see that as any worse than the stuff you use in waxing the bottom of your board.

Krown is designed to slow down or inhibit corrosion on vehicles. It is a petroleum based product with rust inhibitors containing no solvents. In fact the Krown product is environmentally safe, contains no toxins or solvents, is non-flammable, is non-reactive, is non-corrosive, can be sprayed in any weather, remains active, and is not WHMIS controlled.

http://www.krownindustrial.com/msds/MSDS-Krown-KL73.pdf

http://www.krownindustrial.com/pdf/lvr-eng.pdf

• Like 2

I stopped putting my boards on the roof rack due to the salt spray from the road causing my wax to be slow, and my edges to rust. Especially with my alpine boards, I just suck it up and make room on the inside for them. My edges stay sharper, my wax stays slicker, and in general, the boards look better....

Just my 2 cents and I hope this helps.

I just keep collecting all those free crap flavored Chapstick lip balms at the ski shows . Then after a day of riding I Chapstick my edges. It's such a soft wax it comes off completely on the first carve,

I used this on the Madd Demo boards some of which were in service for 4 years all were put away soaking wet and not unpacked until a day later, salt and all.

No rust.

• Like 1