Note to New Members ×

Stance Question

softbootsurfer

Each of us here, stands with our Right foot in front (Regular) or Left foot (Goofy) 

Would appreciate all here offering their reason for Why they choose one over the other...

Example: I learned to Surf that way...or I learned to Skate that way, that's the way I stood in the batters box!, whatever :biggthump

Thought it would be fun and interesting to see how we all ended up where we are :cool:

This is not about one being better than the other, so let's just try to keep it short and sweet for everyone...

Thanks

I think that I rode skate goofy as a kid, so when I picked snowboarding and skating again, goofy it was... 

Now the funny part, while I can ride snowboard switch/fakie almost as well as forward, it's next to impossible for me on a skate. I can get on surf either way, but I equally suck both ways ;) 

• Like 1

Hi Softboot

Not sure why, but from day one I have done any gliding board sport leading with my left foot.

It seems like everyone has a buddy who golf's left, bats right or shoots in hockey right and uses his left hand for writing, kicks a ball with their right foot, but prefers the left foot forward for board sports, etc, etc.  I'm sure we have all seen the fall forward or get pushed from behind to see what foot comes out first, then this is said to be the front foot.

One aspect I haven't heard a lot about is the idea of person having a dominate eye.

Years ago I took a skeet shooting weekend type course, at this time I learned that I was left eye dominate.  I remember the instructor asking the students to make a circle with the thumb and forefinger and holding your arm straight out into the distance.  Next you pick an object on the horizon and look at it through the hole your thumb and finger made.  The final step is to keep staring at the object in the distance and slowly move your hand towards your face.  Several people ended up moving there hand right over their left eye, others over the right eye.  It was amazing how this worked!  Trying to change eyes feels awkward like locking your fingers with the left hand on top vs the right hand on top.

How does this apply to boarding, I am not sure.  But I know that I prefer to look over my left shoulder, with my left eye leading the charge down the hill ... as I am regular foot.  Maybe this will hold true with boarders or maybe it is the same as the guy to golfs left and bats right?

Just an observation I found interesting.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RCrobar
  • Like 1

I ride regular and not particularly well switch.  I played a lot of baseball, hitting from the right side the whole while.  I personally think that the fact that I "drove" the ball with the right leg has as much to do with anything as does the left leg as "lead".  Golf also.

Going back further, when I was grade school age and the temperatures were freezing, I would heave buckets of water onto the alley behind the house to create a block long icy culvert to play on (not popular).  We would run on dry cement as fast as we could and hit the ice standing, trying to see how far we could go without falling.  For me, it was always left leg first.  It seemed like my right leg as rear leg was most strong and stable, as a rudder.

• Like 1

1 second on a skateboard revealed my preference for left-foot-forward when I was a kid. 

I match most of the tests, but prefer sliding on ice right-foot-forward and feel really uncomfortable going off jumps/over rough terrain on a bike with my left foot forward. I tried forcing it to be natural but no go.  Right foot forward is a must on a bike for me.  Weird... 

I'm right eye dominant, right handed, kick a ball with my right foot, bat right-handed, golf and use a hockey stick left-handed. 

Joerg from Pureboarding mentioned that he's naturally a regular rider, but the torque of the board on his bad left knee on the lift made him switch to goofy. That blows my mind every time I see him ride... 

3 hours ago, corey_dyck said:

Joerg from Pureboarding mentioned that he's naturally a regular rider, but the torque of the board on his bad left knee on the lift made him switch to goofy. That blows my mind every time I see him ride... 

I totally get this. wrapped my front leg around a tree in '90 so I often wear a knee brace just to carry the board weight on the lift. I can do whole mountain fakie, but when I mount the left foot pointing forward it all goes wonky:smashfrea

part of why I hate duckfoot I guess

Edited by b0ardski

When I started skateboarding in '71 (Kindergarten/1st Grade), I was a regular foot rider, and did that for 4 years. Then, my vision changed. My Dad had set up a Theodolite with an easel & paper behind it, to catch an Eclipse. We watched that until it got dark, and my sisters & friends & my parents went back inside. I stayed on the porch, fascinated. As the sun started to re-appear, I stepped up on a (wooden!?) milk crate, and, putting my left eye up to the Theodolite eyepiece, watched the sun's corona pass around the moon. This burned out a neat crescent in my left eye's rods, causing it not to focus correctly ever since. 

I started skateboarding and snufing Goofy-footed after that.  Neat thing was, though, that when skateboards, and then snowboards got 'twin-tips' or dual kicktails, I could ride either way with reasonable ease (off-loading chairlifts excluded!) wiith most basic moves, and a few 'trickier' ones, too. So, IMHO. Visual preference/dominance likely plays a big part in how you set up your board, but, it's not the Only reason your body has picked which foot leads...

In an oddball. Left eye dominant, regular foot. Forced right handed by parents. Grandpa was ambidextrous and I am able to do many things equally well right or left handed. Guns right handed...pool and archery left handed... surf regular and fairly well goofy. I do ride directional stance on all my boards (twin/freestyle)

Magic stance is 21/9 on the freestyle at 21.5 centered on eff edge

33/18 with 3* inward cant on both feet on BX  at 21.5 centered on eff edge (my daily driver)

45/40 on am hardboot 6* toe lift/3* rear cant at 19 3/4 centered in stock inserts

60/55 on alpine specific / same as above

Edited by slopestar

Eye dominance is merely a peripheral consideration.

https://vimeo.com/56902953

Stance preference is generally related to bone structure and the relative stability of one orientation v the other while standing on an 'unstable' platform. 

While it would be convenient to correlate with handedness, footedness, etc, those are about as definitive as using political affiliation as a determinant.

As usual, exceptions are the rule.

Edited by Beckmann AG
comma chameleon
  • Like 1

I started skateboarding in 1975. I can't remember why, although I do remember the very first time I stepped on one, but I started regular. So starting to snowboard in 1979, it was natural to do it regular stance. I have a couple of buddies though that ride goofy on skateboards, and regular on snowboards. Go figure!

Dominant eye might play a role in some cases... I know that I'm right eyed and like right foot Fwd. My kid is nothe only left eyed, but his left is the least 20% better then right. Since early childhood he showed tendency for left foot Fwd for all board sports. 

When teaching a slalom water skier we check for the dominant leg with a gentle back ward push, as people will catch themselves with their dominant leg. 

Most all sports require that the dominant leg be used for the driving position, E.g. back position on a ski or board, driving to the Hoop, or net, or outside hitting, or even standing on the pitchers mound.

No wonder my right hip wore out years before my left.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

My dominant leg is clearly my right, and I'm strongly, instinctively goofy.

That's "Goofy", wait - a - minute, is that why they call it goofy?

Yes we have run into a few...they tended to be more ambidextrous and athletically inclined, humans are funny creatures!

Edited by Algunderfoot

1 hour ago, Algunderfoot said:

That's "Goofy", wait - a - minute, is that why they call it goofy?

Yes we have run into a few...they tended to be more ambidextrous and athletically inclined, humans are funny creatures!

That's my point though: not ambidextrous in the slightest, I am strongly right-handed and right-legged and I don't ride switch well on either snow or concrete.  I also tend to drive my board from the front, not the back.  But goofy has always felt natural to me.

My son's close friend, an accomplished half-pipe snowboarder, has very peculiar stance preferences in that if the board has bindings (e.g. snowboard, wakeboard), he rides regular; if the board doesn't have bindings (e.g. skateboard, wake surf), he rides goofy.  That is really goofy!

Me... I started skateboarding at the age of 5 in 1966 on a "Hang Ten" board with metal wheels.  None of us kids knew what to do other than what felt right. Left foot forward was what felt most comfortable,  but I have been cursed with pushing Mongo ever since. Though I have learned to push with my right leg, I can push with more power using the left. Even though I am right foot/hand dominant. 

Edited by SkoonyMcGroomer