Note to New Members ×

Stance Question

softbootsurfer

10 hours ago, Algunderfoot said:

That's "Goofy", wait - a - minute, is that why they call it goofy?

I heard this from SteelWheel Bob a bit over a decade ago, and he was pretty sure it's how 'Goofy' footedness came into the surfer's slang. Disney put out a cartoon 'sketch', one of those little short snippetts that would be used as filler during run-up to a feature movie, back in '42. It had Mickey Mouse, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy all surfing. 2 of the characters were Left Foot first, one on all four paws, and Goofy was Right Foot forward. So, from then on, "Goofy" footed Surfers were called that due to the similarity with the cartoon. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2016 at 3:18 AM, softbootsailer said:

Each of us here, stands with our Right foot in front (Regular) or Left foot (Goofy) 

Would appreciate all here offering their reason for Why they choose one over the other...

Example: I learned to Surf that way...or I learned to Skate that way, that's the way I stood in the batters box!, whatever :biggthump

Thought it would be fun and interesting to see how we all ended up where we are :cool:

This is not about one being better than the other, so let's just try to keep it short and sweet for everyone...

Thanks

Kick a ball with your right foot? = Natural

If you are set up some other way, you probably just learnt that way, maybe it took you longer than you needed to, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, dbmgreen said:

If you are set up some other way, you probably just learnt that way, maybe it took you longer than you needed to, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

If there's anything we've learned over years of having this discussion is that there's no hard and fast rule. I kick with my right foot but slide on ice right foot forward, should I be regular according to your rule or goofy according to someone else's? For me it was no question, never even thought of standing on a skateboard or snowboard any other way but goofy. 

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

5 hours ago, dbmgreen said:

I place kick left but punt right. What stance would you suggest?

I think it's folly to have hard and fast rules. Sometimes people need help getting started and that's fine; they should know they can change if they think it's wrong.

It's been well documented that goofy riders are 97.4% more likely to be baby seal killers, 87% more likely to dislike chocolate, 91.35% more likely to hate their mothers for no reason, 75% more likely to be bad spellerers and 97.334% more likely to misunderstand statistics.  

2 hours ago, Erik J said:

It's been well documented that goofy riders are 97.4% more likely to be baby seal killers, 87% more likely to dislike chocolate, 91.35% more likely to hate their mothers for no reason, 75% more likely to be bad spellerers and 97.334% more likely to misunderstand statistics.  

I refute this completely, as my spelling is pretty good.

4 hours ago, Erik J said:

And regular riders poop every single morning at the exact same time.