Note to New Members ×

Whats this? New Point .951 Franken Northwave?

ThePeonsChamp

So i was lurking around the web for my insatiable hunger alpine snowboarding info (shakes fist at the summer) when i stumbled across this!  Its not much to go off of but hopefully someone can give a better translation or insight than google translate but here's the link.

http://www.carvers.it/new-point-951/

Could this be a new era of affordable copies of the legendary boot? I certainly hope so. 

Im sooo looking forward to next season It'll be my second season hardbooting (I transitioned straight from skiing to a Demo'd 180 Donek Rev, which kicked my butt for about 4 sessions lol but now im in love) and I'm picking up a pair of the TD3 SW SI limited edition woohoo. Winter cant come fast enough, I long for the feeling of being pressed against the edge!

My Italian is only what I can deduce from my Latin. But it seems they don't really know anything about the boot. They came across the linked image on a Swiss site from people who are experimenting with a follow-up to the point boot. They hope it will work out well, and they have written to the Swiss and are waiting for their answer with more details ("Abbiamo scritto al produttore e siamo in attesa di risposte.").

As I had noted earlier, the logical, though distressing, thing to do here is cut a pair of Northwave boots in half down the middle, run them through a CMM , and then imprint that data into a 3-D printer. You'd use that model as the 'positive' casting for a new mold, and scale it accordingly per sizing.

As of now, I believe Dodge Skiboots could take that up to a prototype stage, if not eventually to production. 

This isn't the only route to re-incarnate the Northwave, but most of the pieces are in place...Oh, but for funds, of course...

• 2 weeks later...

Dear fellow Alpine Snowboarders...

Thank you for your interest in the Point.951 project. Honestly, I was surprised to come across this thread 

since it is summer and I haven't checked on the Bomber Forums in quite awhile.

Yes, it is true. We are working on a new boot project together with the original Point.950 developer.

You can check and like our Facebook site to get news regarding our Point.951 project:

https://www.facebook.com/AmmannSnowboardGear/

You can also get more information on our online shop:

http://mountainslope.ch/webshop/

• Like 3

Nice that someone us trying to replicate the famous boot. Since you are recreating it, it would be nice to get rid of idiotic heel bail slot tucked right under the boot. This makes the boot really hard to get into the bindings and misaligned across the board, while it makes the ramp angle way too acute and robes you of the space for Intec heels.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 7/14/2016 at 8:39 PM, BlueB said:

Nice that someone us trying to replicate the famous boot. Since you are recreating it, it would be nice to get rid of idiotic heel bail slot tucked right under the boot. This makes the boot really hard to get into the bindings and misaligned across the board, while it makes the ramp angle way too acute and robes you of the space for Intec heels.

I've often thought the ramp angle of Northwaves and UPZs looks excessive, but I've never tried them.  (except for 2 runs on my new UPZs on the wrong conditions after Thanksgiving)  I wonder if all the magic of the .950 could be preserved while redesigning the heel and reducing the ramp angle...?  I wouldn't be surprised if not.

11 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I've often thought the ramp angle of Northwaves and UPZs looks excessive, but I've never tried them.  (except for 2 runs on my new UPZs on the wrong conditions after Thanksgiving)  I wonder if all the magic of the .950 could be preserved while redesigning the heel and reducing the ramp angle...?  I wouldn't be surprised if not.

I expect the market for this boot is people who don't want a single thing changed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

I expect the market for this boot is people who don't want a single thing changed.

These people will be disappointed.... Or maybe not :biggthump 

Our partner is the original developer of the .950 shoe. The changes we have made will make a better boot than the .950... It sure wouldn't make sense to keep everything the same with a 20+ year old boot.

and a bit more information:

- We are starting with size C but we will have sizes A, B, C and D available in stores for Fall 2017

- We plan to make other sizes at a later date

- Like the old .950, they are not intec compatible but we will be making a step-in system at a later date

Edited by Puhutes
  • Like 3

Just now, Neil Gendzwill said:

Does this mean you intend on introducing your own proprietary step-in system, or that you will be making them Intec compatible?

We are working on a step-in system which will work with the other boots as well without adjustment. Our own system, not be like the Intec setup.

7 hours ago, Puhutes said:

These people will be disappointed.... Or maybe not :biggthump 

Our partner is the original developer of the .950 shoe. The changes we have made will make a better boot than the .950... It sure wouldn't make sense to keep everything the same with a 20+ year old boot.

and a bit more information:

- We are starting with size C but we will have sizes A, B, C and D available in stores for Fall 2017

- We plan to make other sizes at a later date

- Like the old .950, they are not intec compatible but we will be making a step-in system at a later date

It seems to me that the industry has settled upon mondopoint sizing - the overall length of the foot in centimeters.  How do these letter sizes convert to mondopoint?  Or are these widths?

On 12/7/2016 at 7:13 AM, Jack Michaud said:

I don't know how others feel but I rather love the ramp on my UPZ! I thought it looked crazy when I got them but it totally works for me.