Note to New Members ×

Advice: what do I buy next?

Tugboater

I try to buy 1 piece of gear a season to help keep the costs down and stay updated. So now that I'm fully decked out I'm trying to figure out what to go for next. I'm debating a Coiler stubby 168, some form of plate but I've never tried one and not sure what it'll do for me, or something else that I don't know about, make a suggestion.

I'm riding a Donek FC 171 with Fin-tec step ins and Upz RC10s, I could use a new helmet and snow pants but they aren't as much fun to buy. So what do you suggest?

If you ride in crappy conditions all day and stay all day a plate is a good tool to help ride in crud. If your looking to just have more fun when you ride the Stubby will put a smile on your face. If your looking to challenge your muscles and feel over confident I agree try a skwal.

Plates are neat, but the number of people that ride them full time is pretty small. Again, they're not for everyone. If the grooming is poor where you ride, they're worth every penny. If you have smooth wall-to-wall cord, don't bother.

I like my Skwal for a few days a year, but they're not for everyone. I say go longer or shorter than your current board. What do you want to do/learn?

Stuck on greens and easy blues? Wish you could make 50% more turns per run? Get something with some snap and a tight sidecut radius, like a Coiler Angry/VSR with the 9.5m or 10.5m sidecut, or maybe the upcoming Donek Madd-killer.

Have wide open runs that let you stretch your legs and your personal speed limit? Get a big board with a big sidecut and lay trenches at cheek-flapping speeds.

With the Canadian dollar weak compared to the US dollar, it's a good time for Americans to buy Coilers. The board that cost $800 US last year when our money was at par now costs $620 US.

^

And at least one of them is a reasonable drive from CT for a two or three-day stay.

FYI, Sugarloaf offers one session of 'free' instruction for every night stay, provided you book through on-mountain lodging.  

Otherwise optimize your foot support or get a new helmet.

...Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time sitting at the edge of the trail watching life go by. Then get new pants.

Edited by Beckmann AG

Lol I don't sit if I can help it but they are about 15 years old and not very waterproof anymore. Lessons are a good idea, who gives them in the greater New England area?

Ask the poster above you if he's for hire :)

Also: http://www.bomberonline.com/instructor-search/ 

Or wait until ECES or some other event (I think Pureboarding shows up every year as well) comes arond.

I would opt for experiences over gear. Sounds like you have enough gear. Do a heli trip. Even just for a day.

Don't do it man. Heli boarding is the crack cocaine of snowboarding. Just once can be enough to ruin you for life. Next thing you'll be hanging out in Valdez or Haines in the parking with sign that says "spare change for just one lift".

If that is the only board you have, yeah think about a new board. Even if you still love the other one, a new board gets me pumped up.