Note to New Members ×

Comparison between Northwave and UPZ

forrest

Hey all,

In a way the title says it all. I'm not looking to buy boots but I am an engineer who has worked in boot fitting and am curious. I've never seen a set of Northwaves in person but they look relatively similar to current UPZs. Anyone able to enlighten me as to the big differences? The reason I don't ask about Deelux is they seem to have established a more unique direction in their boot development.

Walker

The fact that you can't get them is the point. I'm curious about how they differ in feel and behavior. Theres a huge amount of tweeking and adjustment that you can do to boots if you have the tools and the time. Presumably folks on the WC are better riders than I so I'd like to know what they find better and see what can be added into another boot.

In the same vein next winter I'm hoping to take a race lasted ski boot and revamp it, give it a bit of asymmetric flex, chop the toe and heel lugs etc. I've always found snowboard boots to be excessively wide, expected since theres only a handful of molds in use.

Cheers

I had both of them, there are a lot of differences between NW and UPZ

The NW has symmetric shell as the Deeluxe 325
The UPZ has asymetric shell as the Deeluxe 700

NW are so easy to get in and out
UPZ are so difficoult to get in and out

NW has great front and rear flex and it can be easily modified through the springs
UPZ front and rear flex depends mainly from the tongue, the grey is metal stiff, the black is stiff, the red is gum. Choose one tongue and then adjust with through the springs.

NW has centered sole
UPZ has the heel placed under your heel, you have to mind this when you tune your bindings.

Both has great lateral stiffness.

NW has the ankle buckle maid in steel wire which doesn't give any issue in forward flex
UPZ has plastic and alluminim ankle buckle wich, in deep flex, hits the first buckle un your leg

NW are quite narrow
UPZ are quite wide

Both work great, I prefer the NW but they are old and pricey.
UPZ has changed the third buckle and Deeluxe has made the 425, a super stiff version of the 325
Let's see.
In my opinion at todays date UPZ RC10 or Deeluxe 700 are the right choice depends from your feet  which of the two choose.

When you say adjust with the spring, with UPZ you don't have a lot of room to play with compared to the BTS. Did you mean replacing the original spring by another one?

You can  replace the original spring or all the sistem with another one. I don't think that BTS will fit.

My friends uses the one made by Arnaud from Swoard 

Really? I find mine very easy to get in and out. At least when I remember to open the Walk/Ride lever and to pull the shell tongue all the way to the side.

It depends, if you have the gray/race tongue in freezing conditions is almost impossible to pull it at the side

Things that matter in boot construction:

Is the lower shell (scafo) shaped like:

a) your foot

b) a foot

c) a jellybean

Does the plastic formulation/ sole construction enhance or defeat the proprioceptive feedback loop?

As above for liner material.

Are the cuff rivets located so as to complement, or be in conflict with, the articulation of the 'ankle' joint?

Is forward flex adjustable in deed as well as name?  And are the parameters suitable for how you need to/want to ride?  Does the fit of the lower shell change when the boot is flexed?

Will the boot distort under medial lateral load, to the extent that fine motor movements must be supplanted with gross?

Is the footboard tilted like

a) the Holmenkollen ski jump,

b) an Earth Shoe or Birkenstock,

c) something remotely sane?

Will the cuff accommodate your lower leg volume without enforcing/creating awkward posture?

Typically if a piece of equipment has a fanatical following, it's either fetishism as befits identity, or a product that actually works.

Edited by Beckmann AG

The closest might be the first iteration, near the close of the 19th century.

I like the way the trail network is paved, so as to allow the athletes to train on the race course year round.

Regardless, the 'correct' answer is 'c', somewhere close to 5 degrees.

Edited by Beckmann AG

• 2 weeks later...