Note to New Members ×

Over 50 club

Bobby Buggs

A Tired Skier Looking for Advice

At 53, I have been skiing for 50 years. Don't get me wrong, I love to ski. I have skied big and small mountains, raced, etc.  But I am just getting bored, particularly on the small hills in western PA and the rest of the mid-eastern US. 

Soooooo, I was looking a taking up snowboarding as a new challenge. I tried it a couple of times a number of years ago, but did not find it interesting.  Then out at Canyons (UT) I watched a young man carving a long board with a hard boot set up. It was beautiful.  He carved turns better than most skiers. Incredible grace.  That is what I would like to try.

So, can the over 50 club give me some advice on how to get started. I love to ski fast making big arcing turns and have a good understanding of ski technology and the physics of skiing. I ski either my K2 Outlaws or Fisher Race GS.

I am (sort of) reasonably fit for a 53 year old school teacher (5'10" 215lbs).  Why kind and more importantly SIZE of board should I look for? I don't have unlimited funds, but I am willing to invest some money into this when the time is right.

Where do you get boots? Most of the shops around here maybe have heard of hard boot set ups, but certainly don't sell them. Are hard boots the best option? I recall from years ago not likeing the squishy feeling of snowboard boards and bindings compared to the control you have with ski boots.

Are the binding for a hard boot set up completely different than for a soft boot set up?

Thank you in advance Over 50 club members for your advice.

Hey Tired,

Welcome to bomber. Carving is awesome in whatever form you do it. First steps are carving on a regular board on easy to moderate terrain. Then adding hard boots to a regular board. Then going to more carve oriented board and ..... ripping ruts like no other. I too saw someone carving in hard boots and got hooked on the look of it, but that was 1991. More addictive than that is the first time you pull a fairly high G turn and don't fall. 

So I am just getting back into it after a few years off and both carving days I have had this winter so far ( I don't take my good gear out until conditions are optimal for snow coverage) I had numerous people ask me about it. The comment I reply with is that you have to learn to drive a stock car before you can drive an F1 car. 

The more play in the system ( soft boots, forgiving flexy boards, flexible bindings) the easier it is to get going. You can still carve in soft boot setups and some people are so good you wouldn't know until you get close that they are not on HBs. 

I have custom injected liners in my boots with a custom foot bed in Burton four buckle race  boots. I am now using TD2 bomber bindings in a step in. After years on Burton plates ( and I still like them in the bumps) I am quickly becoming used to the extra precision of the step in. When my knee moves a tiny bit on a loaded ( flexed and ready to turn) board the turn happens very quickly. You don't want this when you first start. 

I do teach at Sun Valley and have introduced many to the art of carving. To say I am passionate about it would be an understatement. It is one of the best feelings ever in the world. I know there are talented pros in other areas that can help as well. If your goal is carving you still need to start on soft gear ( IMHO) and work up. Most rental shops are sending everyone out duck or nearly that ( meaning slightly splayed out feet). I would start with a forward angle on both feet and work up.

53 is great age for snowboarding!

"Old guys rule!"

Yes it is and yes we do. Many on here are 53. Did everyone get sick of skiing at the same time? Was there something in the water that caused the migration? Innnaresting. 

Oh to answer someone's question about board length. My favorite carver is a Burner 197. I start the season on a 188. My pow board is a 185 and my all around is  a Canyon 173. I am now teaching on Never Summer Cobra 164 and having fun in the softies on it. It holds really well but is pretty soft.