Note to New Members ×

Do You Unbuckle After Every Run?

How often do you unbuckle during a riding day?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you unbuckle during a riding day?

• After every run
    • Only sometimes
    • Never

I said "sometimes," but it's more like "rarely." I only do it if I'm having an issue with my socks or long johns wrinkling/bunching up inside the boot or something else out of the ordinary. Usually I go the day without unbuckling.

Never. If you're thinking about it, the boots aren't right. I never, ever unbuckle them or even think about it Head Stratos Pros, although I have had other comfortable boots to.

My feet like hard boots - I had the early Koflach climbing boots and just loved them compared with trad leather stuff.

I've gotten my boots (Track 700, size 25 shells w/ 26 liners, FootForm footbeds, home liner-bake job) so dialed that the only time I've touched them while riding in the past three years was a day when it started off 15F and ended 55F, so I needed to tighten them. OTOH, my softies get undone every 7 runs or so. But I do love softies in trees, pow, and deep slush...

I recently bought a used pair of Raichle 314's from a guy on here. After replacing the original liners with my softie Intuitions and placing Powerstep insoles underneath they feel as snug and comfy as I think I can reasonably expect. The lowest buckle though seems a little too short. With them latched at the first tooth they're pretty tight over the instep, causing my feet to ache after half a run. Does anyone know if there are longer ratchet tabs, or whatever they're called, that I could put on them?

I've gotten my boots (Track 700, size 25 shells w/ 26 liners, FootForm footbeds, home liner-bake job) so dialed that the only time I've touched them while riding in the past three years was a day when it started off 15F and ended 55F, so I needed to tighten them. OTOH, my softies get undone every 7 runs or so. But I do love softies in trees, pow, and deep slush...

I recently bought a used pair of Raichle 314's from a guy on here. After replacing the original liners with my softie Intuitions and placing Powerstep insoles underneath they feel as snug and comfy as I think I can reasonably expect. The lowest buckle though seems a little too short. With them latched at the first tooth they're pretty tight over the instep, causing my feet to ache after half a run. Does anyone know if there are longer ratchet tabs, or whatever they're called, that I could put on them?

The arch straps here: http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/SB-Arch-Strap_p_109.html (10" size) might be able to work with some McGyvering.

I loosen one strap on my front foot every lap up the chair, but I can do it on the chair if it has a bar & footrest to reduce lift line kerfuffle if needed - but then, we have no lift lines. :) Clearly the boot isn't a perfect fit, but the ride is 12.5 minutes long and I do a complete lap in 15 minutes, so the lift ride:carve ratio is pretty painful here no matter how your boots fit....

The lowest buckle though seems a little too short. With them latched at the first tooth they're pretty tight over the instep, causing my feet to ache after half a run. Does anyone know if there are longer ratchet tabs, or whatever they're called, that I could put on them?

I have the same issue. Considered actually doing something to fix it, but found that riding with that lowest buckle undone works fine, and the boot is so snug through the toe area that I have no loss of control (YMMV.) Does kind of freak out the many type A personalities though - "Your buckle is undone!" Yes, I know. "You have to do up your buckle!!!!" No. No, I don't. :D

Does kind of freak out the many type A personalities though - "Your buckle is undone!" Yes, I know. "You have to do up your buckle!!!!" No. No, I don't. :D
tangent alert. in my last pair of salopettes, i had some paracord laced up the inside of the rear leg, coming out of a pocket at the top, and looped around the intec release at the bottom. drifting/sliding into a queue and seemingly stepping unattached out of a plate binding would always garner concerned glances.