Note to New Members ×

Best lens/goggles for flat light?

piusthedrcarve

Amber is good, I used to use some race goggles called "Psycho" , they were a light rose color and they were excellent.

Keep in mind no color will actually increase the light, it will however improve the contrast, which in turn helps definition and dept perception. Try losing part of your retina! Not good.

I bought a few different replacement lenses for my old goggles from this place:

http://store.prolens.com/snow-goggle-replacement-lenses-c32.aspx

They have a large selection with charts that rate light transmission.

The "blue sensor mirror" lenses for the Smith goggles work best for flat light. Has a blue mirror finish over a rose tinted lens that seems to produce contrast between the two. Better than plain amber or yellow and as good or better than clear in some conditions.

Thank you all for suggestions.

I think the flat light problem started when I wear Transition (photochromic) glasses. I use OTG goggles with dark lens.

The photochromic lens gets darken/ cleared by amount of UV light hits the lens. So theorically, if my goggles eliminate 100% of UV light, my transition glasses should not darken. But i noticed otherwise. I just ordered a pair of persimmon colored lens. I will try those next time and will try non-transition glasses too. Again, thanks for suggestions.

I am looking for the yellow lens from Oakley but it seems not offered for L frame tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully Shred got out riding today. Still, while a clear lens seems the logical choice, and sometimes is good enough, the treated lenses are often better for bringing out the contrast.

I have Smith and Dragon goggles, each with multiple lenses. Lately, I have preferred the Dragon "yellow-blue ionized" lenses for flat light. They're very similar to the blue sensor, but a little better (brighter) in heavy flat light conditions. I still find some conditions frustrating, so I ordered some pink lenses. Mimi said pink was the best she's tried, as have others in this thread.

My old knees can't suck up invisible terrain like they used to.

Edited by bigwavedave

Late last year I discovered the Julbo Revolution Photochromic lens, the lenses cut the fog and easily add contrast and depth. I've tried the Oakley Ambers and the Briko Amber lenses, without question the Julbo is hands down the best. Down side $180!! worth every dime!

• 3 weeks later...
at some point, you just have to pull out the beer goggles... (indoors, while seated of course, not operating heavy carving machinery)

I bought these this year, Electric Pat Moore model "Beer Goggles" they say Moore Beer on the inside of the strap.

post-10456-141842407039_thumb.jpg

Top white half is the head and bottom half is a crispy colored beer.

I'd always sworn by Amber or Pink for flat light, but then I got given a pair of Loubsol Xx Lights after repairing a friend's macbook.

img_loubsol1-600x300.jpg

They're the closest damn thing to X-Ray Specs you'll ever come to. Completely unreal in flat light. Even fog isn't a problem. I'm sold.

• 5 years later...