Note to New Members ×

heard it in the lift line 2013-14

theboarderdude

Been a few years since the majority of the photos went away when I changed server/host sites.

I do have some photos though.

[ATTACH]37348[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37349[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37350[/ATTACH]

After two days on the Skwal I'm thinking only thing scarier than having that back foot strapped behind me would be to have that back foot slide out of that aluminum doohickey at exactly the wrong time. Brian have you ridden that board ???

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After two days on the Skwal I'm thinking only thing scarier than having that back foot strapped behind me would be to have that back foot slide out of that aluminum doohickey at exactly the wrong time. Brian have you ridden that board ???

Yeah, no air between turns...there must have been some great ejections with that thing!

I got a few 'cool board' comments last weekend. And a few 'you're the guy that's turning sharp/laying on the snow/etc.' discussions. And a 'man, that's an ancient board!' (2013 Coiler) This guy just couldn't comprehend that the board was one month old and argued until I left, which wasn't very long. ;)

Then a guy came over to me in the lodge and asked about what the heck I was riding. He was gushing about how awesome/fun it looked. :D

Bill and Joan are members of a group of active retirees who take advantage of the uncrowded weekday morning conditions to ski at Spirit mountain; Joan has good-naturedly ribbed me frequently about leaving 'grooves' all over the hill, but she floored me the last time we rode the lift together when she commented that "I'd sure ride like that if I was younger!"

I didn't have the heart to tell her that I'm 61.

Russ

No , not yet :)

First Skwal??

Joan has good-naturedly ribbed me frequently about leaving 'grooves' all over the hill,

I've been telling the skiers that bring up my grooves that they are thinking about it all wrong. They're not obstacles, they're banked turns I leave for their enjoyment. All they have to do is enter at the correct trajectory and hang on for the ride!:eplus2:

And speaking of Darth Vader...

Last week on the lift with an 17-ish couple:

Guy: "Is that thing fast?"

Me: "Are you kidding? It made the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs!"

Girl: "The Kessel Run.. Is, that the run over under Lift 4?"

Me chuckling: "Uh, No... remember Star Wars? Harrison Ford? Han Solo? Luke Skywalker?

Guy: "Noo...?"

Me: Yeah, never mind... the board's VERY fast and turns like it's on rails!"

Both: "Cool!"

:smashfrea

Naturally if you referenced family guy, the odds would have been better....

And gratuitous Thai language joke that is hilarious to me (and possibly less so if you don't speak Thai)

(he says in extremely crude Thai, I will kill all of you, I will kill you with my massive gun)

Instructor at Wildcat in Jackson NH with his student in line..."when you get better, THAT is what you want to be on..I've been riding 20 years and THAT is what it's all about"

Smiled-had a nice exchange...saw a Donek with Cateks in the rack at the mountaian but no one else out on the mountain.

My wife was in softboot lessons with an instructor and two other women so I was riding alone at Sunshine Village on Saturday.

While I was riding up Divide Chair in the morning I noticed that sometime during the past week Sunshine Village had groomed all the steep blacks just to the left of the Chair (Angel Flight, South 205, Boundary Ridge). I was pretty stoked to hit these as they are normally a complete mogul field.

So I railed turns down the WC Downhill and then crossed under Angel Chair to get to the top of the run. At which point I stopped to take a look at the run and it was much steeper than I had thought. It was so steep I don't think any skier or boarder had actually been carving turns on it as the "cord marks" were gone turning the entire face into a smooth sheet of white looking chalk. It was definitely steep enough that I had to stop and take a couple of breaths to think about what I was doing before I dropped in. When I did drop I was just completely focused on railing it, and managed to hold it together and make nice circular carves with no edge skid, hips on the snow in the turns.

I wasn't aware but my wife's class had pulled up to practice riding a face opposite and after watching me ride that, her instructor turned to the class and said "Ok, now he's just showing off." :cool:

Dave

Not heard in the lift line, but on the slopes at Ajax this morning, maybe a hundred feet away some skiers asked each other "What the hell are those snowboarders doing?" I can only assume that they didn't like us coming down one by one leaving trenches in the snow. What was funny was that we heard them from that far away and at least for me it was motivation to rip a few good turns.

In the last few weeks, I have been telling people who inquire, to watch the Snowboarding Slalom/PGS racing at the SOCHI Olympics, but must look at the broadcast scheduling because they will probably have to set a DVR or VCR to record it in the middle of the night/early morning, because it won't be broadcast during primetime.

... some skiers asked each other "What the hell are those snowboarders doing?" I can only assume that they didn't like us coming down one by one leaving trenches in the snow.

Figures, eh? Some skiers complain about carving boarders laying trenches, and others complain when sliding boarders "scrape all the snow off". :D

So, your wife didn't say "Oh, that's just my husband, carving trenches all over the mountain" ? Looks like she owes you an expensive dinner out !

Bricky

Not so much. But I had picked her up from her lessons at the end of the class a few weeks ago. So I have met him.

And your wife's age is ............?

Bricky

45, and yet still putting up with my crap...