Note to New Members ×

heard it in the lift line 2013-14

theboarderdude

I'm pretty sure this has way more to do with "day one" ignorance then the snow sliding equipment strapped to the riders feet.

I'm not convinced of this at all.

Slap a pair of skis on someone's feet and drop them onto a black (or even a red or blue), and they will take the skis off and walk down, or go ask the lifty (i.e. me) if they can go down on the chair. Ditto snowboard. I see this regularly, usually accompanied by tears and much wailing at the boy/girlfriend who has taken them waaaaaaay outside their comfort zone. Skiboarders, "snowscooters", and "veloskiers*", just "go for it", totally out of control, until they hurt either themselves or someone else.

Skis, snowboards, skwals etc make the user aware that what they are doing is hard. It's very obvious that if you get it wrong, it's gonna hurt. skiboards, veloskis, snowscoots and the like make staying upright, spinning around, and bombing down steeps feel ridiculously easy, but are just as difficult, if not more so, to actually control as actual skis / snowboards, etc. Sadly, the realisation of this happens a fraction of a second before you seriously injure someone.

* veloski :

43281303img-2695-jpg.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not new, but I've gotten this several times this year to make it worth mentioning:

Bro: "Is that hard to ride? Did you start out skiing?"

Me: "No skis, I actually started out snowboarding - it's a little awkward when you first start but now I never touch my softboots"

I think some of the park guys who are local to my usual mountain have seen hardbooters before and are curious. If I have a particularly long conversation on the lift I give them this website. Not sure if I've made any converts....

Two softbooting teenagers were gawking at my rig, and when I invited them on the chairlift to tell them more about it, one of them says "All I see is this guy in red, screaming down the hill... how do you do that??"

I told him it was easy; gear and technique, and I'd that I'd teach him how if he wants. He and his friend are now invited to our Tuesday night carving sessions :D

Man, carving is F-U-N!

I've looked at trying out snowbikes in a couple of places. They used to rent them at Sunshine and at Big White? Both times I was out of luck as it was over the Xmas break, and the snowbike instructor was off for the day. Both mountains insisted that you had to do a morning with the instructor, and then you got a "licence" that you could use on any hill that rented them. I can only guess that wasn't popular, as they seem to have disappeared from the local hills.

I was making some turns on my second day at Schweitzer, right after the lifts opened, so there was only myself and the travelling companion on the hill. One of their patrollers came down on skis, and I slid to the side and stopped. She slid up next to me and said "Nice turns ... I see someone sharpened their edges this morning!"

Edited by Allee

They rent them in Steamboat! They also rent ones that are full suspension downhill bikes but with skis instead of wheels!

The Full Suspension models - peggers - as you stand on pegs are so much fun, I briefly considered ditching snowboarding. I then realized that they can't be ridden in our local NC resorts, so am going to stick with boarding.

Check out http://www.lenzsport.com/skibike_main.php

I rented one for a day at Winterpark. So much fun!

Question in lift line, "is that easier to ride than a regular snowboard?" My answer, "No".

I got the opposite from a female liftie, "Is that harder than snowboarding?" My response was "It IS snowboarding! Seriously, it's more difficult than sliding around, and way more rewarding!".

I received a compliment from another hard booter in Mammoth. "I saw your turns from the chair, looks really good." That was after I came up to him and asked him if "that" was a ski board and why he's wearing ski boots.

And from a freestyle boarder... "I bet that thing is sick in powder!" referring to my Proteus.

And from another liftie that knew what was up.. "Nice! a carving board... hurry up and get up there so you can get your turns in before it gets crowded." He was ushering me to the front of the line. Yeah, that was kind of nice.

Fun situation of the day:

After the ride, I needed to ask few questions to Bill, our Private Lessons Supervisor. I was wearing my private jacket. We were standing by the Private Lessons sign.

A young instructor approached and shook my hand: "Hi, My name is..., I'll be your instr..."

Bill: "Not this guy - he can teach you!"

Instructor: "Ummmm....?"

Bill: "This is Boris, the hardboot instructor!"

:D